PDA

View Full Version : Well I Did It Now!

Bob Shoaff
01-28-2001, 01:00 AM
Well I did it. Something I never thought in my entire life I would do. I payed for the competitions business. Has anyone ever done this? I really could not pass it up. She sold it cheap and it has big potential. She was just a mower and most of her clientele want the full meal deal. Hopefully it will work out like I think. If anyone else has ever done this I would enjoy hearing how it worked.
Thanks, Bob

kutnkru
01-28-2001, 01:16 AM
We have a townhouse that we bought back in '96. We rent out both units. I have a guru in the business that cuts down the block from our proerty. I stopped one day and asked him what it would cost for the whole sha-bang.

He gave me a quote and we haggled a bit, (I could take it or leave it) and I have not had any problems since. As a matter of fact we have referred each other out for work quite often. Its been a one hand washes the other type scenario.

Would I do it again,
YOU BET!!!

Kris

Barkleymut
01-28-2001, 02:43 AM
I know a guy in Fla. who goes through dozens of employees every year and has had some problems with past employees. Well he has another company maintain his own home so now none of his employees know where he lives. Sounds like a good idea to me.

HOMER
01-28-2001, 05:53 AM
Being from the south I guess I am a little confused. Did you buy her company or her services. :confused:

jeffex
01-28-2001, 09:14 AM
I think I got what you said, you bought out your
competetion. I have a friend who has 160 lawns
who is in my area. he got a full time job and
wants to sell me 100 lawns. I am part time now
so I can't handle the volume any way. I think
if you can purchase accounts at a reasonable
price go for it. My opinion is that $50 -90 per
lawn is good depending on size. what did you pay

bob
01-28-2001, 11:25 PM
Homer, I didn't quite figure it out either. Bob, If you did buy her out, how much did you pay?

Bob Shoaff
01-29-2001, 12:43 AM
First off, let me apologize for confusing everyone. I did buy her out and paid her $1,500.00 for 30 Customers so $50 a head. All she did was mow for them and all I have met with so far want the whole package deal. The potential off of this at this rate will be excellent. I have only been doing this part time but with all the marketing I have been doing, I gave notice to my corporate safety job and am on vacation for my last 4 weeks with the company. It's a huge step but if I do not jump in and focus 100% on developing a quality business then all I am doing is wasting my time and energy. I am a little bit scared but seeing the success of so many on Lawnsite as halped give me the much needed push.

HOMER
01-29-2001, 12:58 AM
With a support system like this---------------how can you fail?

Sounds like you got a good deal on the buyout and it ought to give you a jump start on your new venture.

Good luck!

Guido
01-29-2001, 01:02 AM
Sounds like your making the right move, make sure to keep us updated on how your transition from part to full time goes and how the rest of the clients from the other compnay you bought turn out once you meet with them.

I didn't post before because I too, even though I'm from the North, got a little confused. I did understand your post but then people started posting about hiring people to do their own lawns?? and I went off track.

Barkleymut - if this guy didn't want the workers to see where he lived couldn't he have done his own lawn? That is pretty ironic havng someone else cut your lawn when your in the business. I've seen it once, and that was because a guy ran his business in a city almost 1.5 hours from his own house, but even then I told him he was a lazy S.O.B. for not buying a little mower and trimmer for the house. I guess its their perogative's! (spelling ;) )

Likestomow
01-29-2001, 01:14 AM
I think you are doing the right thing, Bob. New ventures are always scary, but this sounds solid. I wish you the best. In a few short months you will be reaping the benefits from this growth and the worry will be long past.

jeffex
01-30-2001, 06:41 PM
good luck Bob !!!!
sound like a great deal to jump start your bus.
how many yrs at job you dumped?

Mark
01-30-2001, 08:29 PM
Wish you well Bob. Sounds like a good deal to me. Do the best job you can do and im sure the new clients will be thankful to know that there yds will be well taken care of. Good Luck Marks Mowing Service

Jason Pallas
01-30-2001, 11:57 PM
Hey - good luck. We've bought clientele from other businesses before (usually paying the price of about 2-3 cuts). It's worked out well. We've also waited for other businesses to fold and picked up the customers when they scrambled to find another service. We've also referred lots of customers to competitors for a variety of reasons and find that we get a lot that way too. It always helps to maintain good relationships with other landscapers.

Barkleymut
01-31-2001, 01:11 AM
Guido, this guy has had some real freakshows working for him and just doesn't want his guys around the house and I understand that after some of the stories. Anyways he works at least 65 hrs a week and just doesn't have the time to mow his own yard and the guy who does it is a good friend of his.

Atlantic Lawn
03-01-2001, 07:46 AM
Not a bad deal at all. You need to get out and speak with each one of them. Tell them about your expanded services and desire to keep prices inline with what they have been. Get more from your client by giving them more. Don't let them stray in the transition period. Good Luck.

captdevo
03-01-2001, 07:56 AM
sounds good!!! Stay focused and you should do well!!

BobR
03-01-2001, 05:04 PM
You are on your way... If you have not started the new clients yet have the lady you bought the business from introduce you to your new customers, also find out from her exactly the service she provided for each of them.
With the introduction & the information on each client your chance of success will almost be guaranteed.
Bob

SWguy
03-01-2001, 05:18 PM
GO BABY GO

I was just wondering if you had her sign a "non Compete" clause ?