PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Create A Logo

Imager
01-14-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm looking to create a logo for my company but the name and the logo I came up with, I do not no if if it has a trademark or a copyright how do I find that out.

i_plant_art
01-14-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm looking to create a logo for my company but the name and the logo I came up with, I do not no if if it has a trademark or a copyright how do I find that out.

ko so what exactly are you asking? your title says looking to create a logo but then in your post it says you need a logo created , but "and the logo i came up with" you are contradicting yourself here. straighten it out and let us know what it is that you need to know. To answer your question reguarding copywirte/ trademark---Nothing has a trademark or copywrite unless you file for it with the government and it costs big $$ to get a legit true trademark and/or copywrite.

walker-talker
01-14-2005, 01:16 AM
If you are coming up with the name and logo together....I suppose it has to be orginal and cannot already be copyrighted.....right? Are we missing something? Is it a logo say from gopher software...if so....then you might want to do a search.

Imager
01-14-2005, 02:22 AM
I have already come up with a logo the thing i'm asking is there a place that you can go to see peoples copyrighted or trademark so that you do not get into a lawsuit with another company.

marko
01-14-2005, 08:17 AM
An Attorney will probably have to help you with the logo. Your name can be protected or trademarked (don't remember which) for I think $350 (also unsure if thats per year or 1 time). I saw it on the Federal website for trademarks. I believe you could search names as well. Type in Trademark in google and I think you will get there. Hope this helps.

tonygreek
01-14-2005, 09:32 AM
hit your state's website that handles business filings (secretary of state is the likely site) and you can search the registerend ficticious names, corporate names, etc. logos can be trademarked at the state level if you don't feel the need to go to the next level up....

to take it to the federal level, which provides the most comprehensive protection of your name and/or logo, visit uspto.gov. don't look under patents, look under trademarks. as an fyi, trademarking a textual name (ie, no logo, just the printed name of your business) is extremely difficult as it has to fit many levels of uniqueness. service marks (logos) are much easier to do at the federal level, but that process is also tedious.

if you don't have a fundamental knowledge of trademark law or business name legalities, i'd first head to the library and do a little reading on the subject, then take that knowledge to an attorney who specializes in intellectual property law. the level of protection should first be planned out based on the realities of your business. do you plan to go national or are you looking for protection within your state?

oh, and hit the search function for "trademark" and you'll probably find many threads on it here.

tony

Team Gopher
01-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi Imager,

Can we see what you created? :)

Imager
01-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Thanks for your help

IMAGER

Imager
01-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi Imager,