PDA

View Full Version : Unbelivable!!!

Diamondscapes
01-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I find it totally UNBELIEVABLE how many so called landscapers in the state of Maryland are not properly LICENSED or INSURED. In MD it is required to have a MHIC# to do any kind of home improvements IE: any kind of hardscaping or landscaping. For some reason everybody who mows grass thinks they can just start doing design/build work. I don't get it. It is illegal to enter into a contract with a home owner to do any kind of home improvement work with out a MHIC#. If caught it is punishable under Maryland law with jail time and fines. Think a little bit lawn jockeys before you enter the construction arena.

JB1
01-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Whats so hard to understand, the law requires auto insurance here and theres a lot of people that dosen't have that.

Diamondscapes
01-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the response JB. I cant belive that only 1 person out of 69 who read this post has enough guts to respond . Kind of answers my question/comment. Is the lack of response due to the overwhelming amount of non licensed contractors who post on the board??

mickman
01-17-2005, 09:37 AM
I am taking exam again this winter. I taken mhic in 1999 when I started my own business, didn't need it to do lawn maint, pruning, mulching, flowers, etc. You do need it if you are doing any type of job that changes the countour of the land.

I've became incorporated as soon as I started my lco. I pay all my takes, pay accountant, have workers comp, fully insured from weedeater to snow plows.
over 21 years experience.

I get pissed because there are alot of "landscrapers" that don't pay taxes, Ins. and want to undercut,lowball, whatever to make a buck.

I sir, do have guts. I sub out my hardscape work, but I am a very good designer, and will add hardscapes,fishponds,pavers, patios, etc.

Welcome to the competition.

DiscoveryLawn
01-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the response JB. I cant believe that only 1 person out of 69 who read this post has enough guts to respond . Kind of answers my question/comment. Is the lack of response due to the overwhelming amount of non licensed contractors who post on the board??

Hmmm... I read this post after you posted it and did not respond. I suppose I do not have guts? I suppose because I did not respond it would be reasonable for you to assume that I am not licensed, insured and pay taxes? I imagine that all of us that choose not to respond can be assumed to be scrubs?

David

rodfather
01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Why should I care about Maryland requirements...I'm in NJ :dizzy: Lawn jockeys huh? :angry: Nice comment btw...

Soupy
01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the response JB. I cant belive that only 1 person out of 69 who read this post has enough guts to respond . Kind of answers my question/comment. Is the lack of response due to the overwhelming amount of non licensed contractors who post on the board??

Maybe everyone has read this same topic over and over and just don't feel like getting into it again. Lawn Jockeys? You will not make many Friends on here with that attitude.

HOOLIE
01-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Probably a lot of guys just don't know about the licensing. Maybe they start small mowing, pick up a few hardscape jobs along the way. Doesn't mean they are trying to get one over on anyone.

rodfather
01-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Lawn Jockeys? You will not make many Friends on here with that attitude.

My sentiments exactly.

T.E.
01-17-2005, 12:52 PM
I too am not concerned about what other states require. That being said all states are different. In OK I don't have to have a business license to operate a business, such as, lawn maintenance. You also don't have to collect sales tax if your a contractor. Just being licensed doesn't mean that one is as QUALIFIED as they should be. ( Just being able to pass an exam doesn't mean I want someone applying chemicals on my lawn.)

mbella
01-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Respond to what? You made a statement. You didn't ask a question or for an opinion.

Diamondscapes
01-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I do apologize for the lawn jockey comment ! I was not having a very good day when i wrote the comment. I just wanted to express my disgust. In my area it seems ,no it is fact that many more so called contractors due everything with in there means to cheat the system. It makes the industry as a whole look bad. Its no wonder that the persona of landscapers in the eyes of a home owner is not what it should be. Im not talking every home owner , but the majority of them still look at landscapers as not ranking very high on the educational/knowlegable/qualified contractor ladder.If the landscapers would ( again in my area ) would take the time to work there buisness and not work for there buisness, educate them selves on pricing jobs to make a profit and recover all esential overhead, get the required licenses and insurances, the idealology that any one with a pick up truck and a mower can be a profesional landscape contractor would go away.Im just venting and had no intention on offending any one.

mickman
01-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Apology Accepted!

DiscoveryLawn
01-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Apology Accepted!

Ditto

David

Green in Idaho
01-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Im not talking every home owner , but the majority of them still look at landscapers as not ranking very high on the educational/knowlegable/qualified contractor ladder.If the landscapers would ( again in my area ) would take the time to work there buisness and not work for there buisness, educate them selves on pricing jobs to make a profit and recover all esential overhead, get the required licenses and insurances, the idealology that any one with a pick up truck and a mower can be a profesional landscape contractor would go away.

?Hum.
Their is only a small fuzzy line between perception and reality.

MDScpr
02-17-2005, 02:23 PM
I am taking exam again this winter. I taken mhic in 1999 when I started my own business, didn't need it to do lawn maint, pruning, mulching, flowers, etc. You do need it if you are doing any type of job that changes the countour of the land.

I've became incorporated as soon as I started my lco. I pay all my takes, pay accountant, have workers comp, fully insured from weedeater to snow plows.
over 21 years experience.

I get pissed because there are alot of "landscrapers" that don't pay taxes, Ins. and want to undercut,lowball, whatever to make a buck.

I sir, do have guts. I sub out my hardscape work, but I am a very good designer, and will add hardscapes,fishponds,pavers, patios, etc.

Welcome to the competition.

Maybe you should read your own posts before you get on people about theirs...

"I taken mhic in 1999" You's tooken it again?

"You do need it if you are doing any type of job that changes the countour of the land." countour - nice spelling

"I've became incorporated as soon as I started my lco." You's did?!?

Mdirrigation
02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
One of the main reasons people dont get their MHIC is that in 23 years I havent heard anyone get busted for not having it. Another reason is that you have to have 50 grand in assets to obtain the license . Thats a bit more difficult for the younger guys.
Unfortunatly the MHIC license doesnt mean you have any knowlege or skill in your trade .

LB1234
02-17-2005, 04:15 PM
What does 'guts' have to do with not posting anything?

Maybe some of the 'lawnjockeys' just thought you were being a big crybaby...

MYS
02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I am in MD. Where can I get info to regester.

Mdirrigation
02-17-2005, 09:56 PM
The maryland dept of license and regulation , md home improvement commission , try typing in md home improvent commission on a search engine , they do have a website

charlies
02-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I am just tired of the same ole complaints again and again and again. One last time?...It's the way it is, deal with it. Brickman, Chemlawn, etc., etc. has no problem with the scrubbies. They do just fine regardless. You should try to get to that point, where you don't need to care what the others are doing.