PDA

View Full Version : Estimating

inside-out
01-28-2001, 09:04 AM
I am posting you with a hope that someone can help me. I just got the chance to estimate a big Landscaping job. It is a industrial park with several acres of grass. in the estimate they also want mulching, fertilization, planting and basic upkeep. I can estimate the lawn mowing part with no problem, but when it come to fert. mulching and planting I am having a tough time. I was hoping someone could help me out and give me some suggestions on how to get the job and be competitive.

John DiMartino
01-28-2001, 09:18 AM
When i estimate fertilizer,I will take a soil sample,they pay for that,then depending on what fertizer they need,usually is around 38-50 an acre to fetilze,my cost.Iusually charge 2 1/2-3X the fertilizer cost on acre size jobs,and less as the get bigger,more as they get smaller.I charged 35 for a 10K lawn last fall,cost me 9.00,took 5 minutes to spread,they were happy,I did a whole street about at that price.Mulching,try to estimate the size,by sqauring up the measurements,then add upp square ft,and how thick for yds needed.I get about 60-80 a yd installed,and I pay 17-18 for red mulch.I havent done any planting at all yet,I do mostly industrial,they dont want plantings,but love mulch.I only do lawn care PT,Im sure others can give you better estimates.

leeslawncare
01-28-2001, 10:38 AM
Good advise john.that's what i charge also.