PDA

View Full Version : 2-cycle equipment

trimmer
01-28-2001, 10:28 AM
I was wondering what brand of 2-cycle equipment you use. I have in the past ran echo ,but I found it to be to tempermental. Right now I am using sthil but it is to hard to start sometimes. I was looking at shindaiwa or husqvarna or maybe another brand. I was just want to know what you use and how well it performs.

Mark
01-29-2001, 10:04 PM
I run echo, my trimmers are 2601 they have been great. I just last season brought a new backpack blower the echo PB-601 435cfm at the end of pipe, I know several of my friends who run Shindaiwa and they are awesome machines, but ive ran echo for 9yrs so untill i have a major prob i still use them, they are easy to work on and no prob getting parts. Marks Mowing Service

jeffex
01-30-2001, 06:35 AM
shindiawa

Mowman
01-30-2001, 08:03 AM
TRIMMER,
I STARTED MY BUSINESS WITH WEED-EATER BRAND TRIMMER AND HEDGE CLIPPERS. THE STRING TRIMMER I STILL USE ON MOBILE HOMES. IT DOESN'T TEAR UP THE SKIRTING. THE HEDGE CLIPPERS I SOLD TO A GUY AT WORK. I NOW AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A
HUSQVARNA 322L TRIMMER AND A 225H60 HEDGE CLIPPER. THEY BOTH START ON THE FIRST OR SECOND PULL. I LEARNED THE HARD WAY TO BUY COMMERCIAL BRANDS OPOSSED TO THE HOMEOWNER CRAP. I WILL STAY WITH HUSKY BRAND PRODUCTS. MY BLOWER IS A STIHL BG 75. NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. I DON'T CARE FOR THE DESIGN OF THE HUSKY BLOWERS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASES.
Mowman

CCLC
01-30-2001, 09:20 AM
We use shindiawa and lesco weedwhips. We have (2)stihl and (2)lesco blowers, (2)stihl hedge trimmers, and a stihl chain saw. The lesco stuff was made by echo.

tlcgrounds
01-30-2001, 10:06 AM
I have 8 echo products. Yes they are a little tempermental but if you maintain them correctly that half the battle. Strong enough to last. Cheap enough to replace every couple of years.

Lawngeek
01-30-2001, 04:28 PM
stihl br400 is having trouble running it died slowly perhaps over 1o hours use its is the rpm's that have slowed down any thoughts...I recall this happening long ago and it went to the shop and came back fine just cant remember what was the prob maybe I could fix it myself

lakegastonla
01-30-2001, 06:44 PM
We have 2 Lesco 36cc weed trimmers, 2 Lesco Backpack blowers, 1 Shindaiwa edger, 1 Shindaiwa weed trimmer, 1 shindaiwa hand held blower, 1 stihl 85 hedge trimmer,1 Stihl 029 farm boss chainsaw. In other words, a bit of everything. NONE of it has given any problem. The thing about equipment is that if you KEEP IT OUT OF THE RAIN, and change fuel filters, air filters and sparkplugs etc, they last a long time.

lawrence stone
01-30-2001, 07:07 PM
How to start a Sthil:

Turn switch to on position

Hit primer bulb about 4 times

Move lever to full choke

Pull starter until it "puts"

Move leaver to half choke

Pull start and run then take choke off completely

powerreel
01-30-2001, 07:21 PM
Keep it out of the rain? It rains in Seattle 10 months a year, we don't degrease it just rains! Shindaiwa or Sthil for longterm use. Echo has it's place with conscripts, it's cheap, use it, and them, and throw away. Are you going to want to repair the damaged equipt from the years invasion?

Eric ELM
01-30-2001, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Lawngeek
stihl br400 is having trouble running it died slowly perhaps over 1o hours use its is the rpm's that have slowed down any thoughts...I recall this happening long ago and it went to the shop and came back fine just cant remember what was the prob maybe I could fix it myself

Lawngeek,
This could be the spark arrester that caused this or it could be carbon build up in the exhaust port. Take out the spark arrester and clean it, if this doesn't help, take off the muffler. Check to make sure the exhaust port is not getting closed off with carbon build up. Pull the rope until the piston is at the bottom of the exhaust port and take a stiff wire and bend a 90 degree about 1/4" long on the end so you can reach in there and pull this carbon off and out. After you are done, I would take an air hose and blow out any loose carbon that got inside. Put it back together and listen to it purrrrrr. :)

Lawngeek
01-30-2001, 07:37 PM
Ill give it a shot thanks for the tip!

tlcgrounds
01-30-2001, 08:45 PM
Well I was talking good about Echo and mine has got problems today. After a month of having it i had a problem with the shut of switch. I brought it in shop and the problem was that the the wore going to the ingnition modual was fried. They fixed it and a few months ago the wire came diconnected in the modual case and I put it back and was good to go. NOW THE F###### thing won't turn off and and the wire is connected. I think my next back pasck will be a redmax!!!

Joe W.
01-30-2001, 08:53 PM
Anyone have any experience with Redmax products?

Evan528
01-30-2001, 10:09 PM
tlc, My redmax trimmer did the same thing last year! was very weird...The switch wouldnt turn it off even though it was connected... id pull the spark pluck wire and it still wouldnt turn off! id have to chole it and let it stall.... how couuld this thing have continued running without spark? did this for about a week then stopped...

tlcgrounds
01-31-2001, 10:16 PM
I said you run Redmax trimmers. Do you run Redmax blowers? I thought about buying a new redmax last spring. There are no dealers in my area. I'd have to drive and hour and a half to a dealer.

MIDSOUTH
01-31-2001, 10:44 PM
I have a redmax eb7000 blower, wouldn't trade it for nothing, my br400 stihl sits on the trailer or if i have a helper he will use it, but i don't pick that junk (br400) up anymore, redmax blowers all the way, but i will stay with stihl trimmers. i have a fs85 and fs83, i love them. i also have the hlk75 trimmers and a small pair of hs45's both are great hedge trimmers made by stihl.

Scag48
02-01-2001, 12:04 AM
Back to the forums for me! About power equipment. I run a Stihl BR320 backpack blower. I run a Homelite trimmer (stop laughing guys:) )that has really been a great little workhorse for the $90 I paid for it. I'll be buying a Stihl trimmer the next time I go on a cash jaunt. I guess equipment brand selection has somewhat to do with your dealer. You want a good dealer to back you up when you hit a rough patch. But you also want a good quality equipment. So put the two together and go for what you think is best. Good luck :)

Runner
02-01-2001, 12:07 AM
I'm with Mark and the rest on Echo. All my saws, hedge saws, icluding my extended hedge saw are Stihl, but I have four trimmers, a brushcutter, two backpacks, (+ one extra,) and an extendable pole chain saw that are Echo.

Turfcouncil
02-01-2001, 01:14 AM
Nobody has mentioned Kawasaki?
I use a Kawasaki String Trimmer and backpack blower. they seem to have power to spare after using echo brands in the past.
Alot of Plastic on them though.

Sammy
02-01-2001, 03:06 AM
Stihl

captdevo
02-01-2001, 02:45 PM
i've got a craftsman and 2 echos and a stihl trimmers, the craftsman is our oldest and most reliable (believe it or not)
good oil, hot plugs and high octane is what my wife says!!!

Grassman
02-01-2001, 05:42 PM
Evan528, check the 2 wire connections behind the throttle handle. They work loose periodiclly and cause this problem.

smburgess
02-01-2001, 06:17 PM
Shindawa weed eaters (In my opion the best)

Stihl BR400 Backpack Blowers (light and powerful)

Echo Hedgetrimmers (Just because I've never tried any other)

BUSHMASTER
02-01-2001, 10:29 PM
on the br400 ...spark arestor as stated..check the tourqe on the head bolts also....
on the echo take the cutoff switch apart and see if the contacts disengage .....if not bend until correct...

talking with the echo rep by 2004 weed eaters , blowers, etc will have catalitic coverters on them epa spec's
that bites

Eric ELM
02-02-2001, 07:03 PM
Did you get your BR400 fixed yet? I was just wondering if you found the problem.

zimm4
02-02-2001, 07:24 PM
I have a craftsman trimmer. And a homelite blower. This is my first year. I will be purchasing commercial equipment soon.