PDA

View Full Version : Slogan / New name?

fairwayCuts
01-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Well I 've got a couple of thoughts here and I'm hoping for your guys input. First, I keep thinking of changing my name because I'm worried that people will think that I'm in the business of keeping golf fairways cut, not their residential yards. I just started this past June, so it's not like I really need to worry about loosing my name recognition. Or do you think as long as I'm targeting residential cust there's no real big deal.

Secondly, if I do keep my name, I've bee trying to come up with some slogans. Let me know what you think.

“Lawn care for your St. Andrews”
“Your personal greens keeper”
“One yard at a time”
“Your personal lawn caddy”

Just some thoughts.

mtdman
01-15-2005, 06:26 AM
How about "Hire me or DIE!"

:D

T Edwards
01-15-2005, 06:43 AM
You're saying the customer may be confused by your company name, but now the tag lines you are working on refer to golf also. Forget about about golf. In fact, you can probably forget about catchy slogans because your quality of work is what will bring you the most future business. Just find a name you're comfortable with and one that the customer (who writes the check) can remember.

J Hisch
01-15-2005, 09:03 AM
" Mastering your lawns needs "

tonygreek
01-15-2005, 12:23 PM
i'd keep the name, just have a tagline that alludes to why you are called fairway cuts, ie "keeping your lawn up to par" or whatever.

i would absolutely avoid using anything related in any way, shape, or form to Augusta, the Masters, or St. Andrews. even loose connections can be costly as there are no 2 businesses that voraciously protect their marks than Augusta National and The Royal & Ancient. one would assume they probably have a team dedicated to sniffing out infringement.

tony

Lawnchoice
01-15-2005, 01:09 PM
" Quality doesn't cost........it pays."

The C Man
01-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I keep thinking of changing my name because I'm worried people will think I'm in the business of keeping golf fairways cut
I don't think people would think that, I think they'd associate it with cutting their lawns and giving them a manicured appearance LIKE a fairway.

Did you register your name with the state? I'm pretty sure there's already a Fairway Lawn Care in Toledo, I saw the name on a big open trailer in Maumee heading into the Arrowhead business park.

HOOLIE
01-15-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't see any problem with your name. But if you decide to change it, this would be the time, before you've been in business too long. And tonygreek is right on, don't ever reference anything that might be trademarked, you're just asking for trouble.

fairwayCuts
01-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Did you register your name with the state? I'm pretty sure there's already a Fairway Lawn Care in Toledo, I saw the name on a big open trailer in Maumee heading into the Arrowhead business park.

I did register my name with the state.? I registered it last year around may or june, can't quite remember. I just tried getting on ohio's web page to search it, but it seems like it was down. Mabey you saw me? I do travel through the arrowhead park area alot. I can't imagine they would have let me register my name if someone els had almost the same name. Who knows?

tonygreek
01-16-2005, 09:18 AM
fairway, did you simply register it as a ficticious name/dba, or by "register", you filed the name as part of a new business filing such as an llc or corp?
a ficticious name or dba filing gives you zero protection.

tony

The C Man
01-16-2005, 11:57 AM
I understand that a name isn't protected if it was registered as a fictitious name, but it is if it's registered as a 'trade name' on the form you send to the secretary or state, isn't it? I talked to them on the phone several times and was assured that it was (same cost, so I didn't really understand why someone would go the fictitious route to begin with). I'm a sole proprietor at this point... could someone else successfully register my same name if they went LLC or corp?

fairwayCuts
01-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a document from the Ohio secretary of State certifying that they have custody of the business records for Fairway Cuts. I also have my Tax id # linked to my business. My name was registered as a trade name, which gives me rights to the name. No one els would be able to use that name unless I were aware and willing to let them use that name. On the other hand, I they had been using the name before me, and I was issued an inaccurate trade name, they would have rights to the name.

Smithers
01-16-2005, 11:17 PM
"How about "Hire me or DIE!""

i take what i said back.....here is one worthless post. hehehehehe :)

Smithers
01-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Let me know what you think.

“Lawn care for your St. Andrews”
“Your personal greens keeper”
“One yard at a time”
“Your personal lawn caddy”.

i am sorry to say, but i don't like any of them. 2 and 4, you sound like a slave (IMO). sorry to be so honest.

coomer
01-17-2005, 02:11 AM
mak esure your name is not cheesy or will haunt you after years it is your most repruable rthinthiung

fairwayCuts
01-17-2005, 03:48 PM
i am sorry to say, but i don't like any of them. 2 and 4, you sound like a slave (IMO). sorry to be so honest.

It cool. I actualy had one of my buddies tell me the same thing. I'd rather have an honest opinion than a "yes man" anyday.

Smithers
01-17-2005, 05:13 PM
i am glad to hear that yo u ddidn't get offended :)