PDA

View Full Version : HElp me on this one!

Slcareco
01-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey, I'm just starting this spring and I saved up about 2500 dollars, and i still need a backpack blower, string trimmer, and a trailer.... now my question is what do i really need and dont? like can i do with out a trailer in the begining and just put all my equipment in the bed of the pick up? which would save me 500+ dollars or will i need the bed? by the way i just plan on doing general maintance to start (cut,edge,blow) and instead of blowing my hole savings on a new commercial mower ill just start with my regular toro 6.5 hp

any ideas or input everything will help! thanks

NickN
01-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Definately get the trailer.You can use a handheld blower to start(less expensive than a backpack),and the string trimmer.Spend the rest on advertising.

Slcareco
01-15-2005, 01:31 PM
thanks for the help man

shaughnessylawn
01-15-2005, 03:31 PM
id say hand held blower cheap string trimmer and misc. tools use the bavk of your truck to haul every thing sense you are just going to cut at first, find a cheap but good 36 inch walk behind and the rest on flyers and signs

shaughnessylawn
01-15-2005, 03:34 PM
id say hand held blower cheap string trimmer and misc. tools use the bavk of your truck to haul every thing sense you are just going to cut at first, find a cheap but good 36 inch walk behind and the rest on flyers and signs if you need a mower i have a good 36 inch ill sell you email me shaughnessylandscaping@yahoo.com but you would have to pick up iam in maryland

pgiambat
01-18-2005, 02:54 AM
The following is Perfect.

id say hand held blower cheap string trimmer and misc. tools use the bavk of your truck to haul every thing sense you are just going to cut at first, find a cheap but good 36 inch walk behind and the rest on flyers and signs

Here's what I did:

Get some 8' 2x8s and put $20 aluminum ramp ends on them (from Tractor Supply) and run your mower out of the back of your truck. You can really stick and move this way.

I put 2x4's in the bed rail holes sticking 2' up and put sides (a sheet of 1/4" plywood or hardboard cut into 2 - 2'x8' pieces) on my truck with 2x6's across the front (You can put a BIG eye-bolt through the front and padlock a chain to it and lock up your trimmer and blower). Paint it all white (or another clean color), you can advertise on it (2' x 8' of space on each side).

Equip: a used 36" SCAG or similar - $1000 to $1200, a Stihl blower - $150 new, a Stihl trimmer $200 new. Start mowing!!!
Advertising: Local free publication (you pay for ads people pick them up for free), around here it is called the Thrifty Nickel or American Classifieds or Penny Pincher - $12/week for Apr/May/June = $150.
Letter the sides of the truck sides: Do it yourself, take time and do it nice = low $$.
Treat customers GREAT and introduce yourself to neighbors = priceless

Here is a diagram/drawing I designed. I've been running this setup for 3 seasons and it works great. You can show up, unload, mow, trim, blow and GO! Your making $$ for $2000.00. You can make that back in a month or less.

Good Luck!

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Truck_Mower_Setup.JPG

QualityLawnCare4u
01-18-2005, 08:34 AM
handheld blower-stihl, 169 or echo backpack PB 403 for 299
stihl weedeater-long shaft, 269 or stihl for 349, echo curved shaft for 169
5x12 trailor- 695 or if you can get by with your truck great
stihl edger-349 or echo for 199
good used walk behind (Ive never used one) or good used COMMERCIAL ZTR when affordable. You will want a trailor as soon as possible, and the biggest you can afford (mistake I made not getting one big enough)

The stuff I listed above is decent entry level commercial equipment, my echo stuff is 4 years old and stihl blower is 3 years old with no problems. Good luck in your endevor!

grass_cuttin_fool
01-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Alot of good ideas here, I wouldnt get a cheap string trimmer, I would invest in a good trimmer and yes a handheld blower is fine. And since you stated that you were going to use a toro with a 6.5 hp motor I presume its a 21'' mower and I would use the back of the pick up. You didnt mention hedge trimmers, that may be something to think about and add that service also

Tvov
01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
I wouldnt get a cheap string trimmer, I would invest in a good trimmer and yes a handheld blower is fine.

I agree with grass_cutting_fool.

DON'T buy a cheap string trimmer. My first two full-time years I went through 3 (or 4, I forget) homeowner trimmers before wising up and getting Shindaiwas. You can get by with an inexpensive blower, but don't scrimp on the trimmer!