PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed or Open trailers

kipcom
01-15-2005, 05:12 PM
I dont get why so many lawncare owners use open trailers. I started out and in 1 year went to an enclosed trailer. I really enjoy the benefits of having the shade, a place to store all the equipment in from the summer elements. I enjoy the most is when a storm rolls in I can drive the mower right into the trailer and Im out of the rain. I also use it for winter storage of equipment I only use in the warm months.

Comments ?

PMLAWN
01-15-2005, 05:14 PM
The main reason is money. Most people starting up in this business start with little or no money.
And ditto on the enclosed.

LLandscaping
01-15-2005, 05:28 PM
We currently use all open trailers because enclosed trailers cost a lot of money and are not as easy to work out of as open trailers. Hopefully in the next year or so we will be able to buy a box truck. We are to the point that we are tried of pulling trailers around and would like to not have to load/unload daily. Also open trailers are more versatile you can haul mulch, gravel, dirt, debris, etc. We will always have at least one open trailer for such jobs.

shaughnessylawn
01-15-2005, 05:45 PM
trust me I would love to have a encolsed trailer but when there is so much more to buy I just have to deal with the open s&*t you know. I agree with you on just how your equipment see's less abuse from being in the elements
and the storage plus they look more professional

mtdman
01-15-2005, 06:05 PM
I prefer the open trailer. It is more versatile when it comes to moving other things like dirt, mulch, etc. Easier to work off. And easier for me to tow around and find parking, especially in this over trafficked town. It's no biggie for me, I know lots of people like enclosed and more power to them. I just prefer the versatility of an open trailer, and would not buy an enclosed one.

captaingreen
01-15-2005, 06:07 PM
I prefer my open because I do alot of landscaping too. It is much easier to pull up and have the bobcat dump 5 yards of mulch on an open, not to mention all the other loading/unloading in a day. I also couldn't back an enclosed into my garage like I can my open 16'.

Blades of Steel
01-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I'll tell you one thing though. If the theft doesn't get any better then I'm buying a 20 ft enclosed trailer. I will un load the mowers from it at night and leave the hand held thing in it. The only reason i didn't the first time is because I had a f-150 and that would have killed it. Now with the f-250 diesel in the drive I might next year..

Tim

competitiveimageland
01-15-2005, 06:44 PM
ill stick with the enlosed trailers , they are rolling billboards for one . ive yet to have anyone run off with equiptment . ive gotten stuck out in storms befor and its great just bein wable to ride the tractors in and wait it out. as far a loadin a trailer up with mulch i dunno bout that, ill stick with the dump trucks for that work, everyone has watched the scrubs pull outa the stone yards with 4 yars on a 6 by ten trailer with the axle bowed like a pretzel , i get a laugh outa that , just hope they grease their wheel bearing ofter

captaingreen
01-15-2005, 09:07 PM
I quess the appropriate trailer would be the one that works best for your particular situation.

clay duncan
01-15-2005, 09:27 PM
i have had both and i prefer an open trailer for these reasons: eaiser to pull,see around, easier to work out of , more versatile, will go in garage and they are cheaper. an enclosed trailer does have some advantages like maybe weather but dont be fooled by the ability to lock the doors. my trailer was broken into very easily by simply cutting away the small flip down latch that the lock goes through. the lock was never touched and the trailer was backed up against a condo association with at least 40 windows over looking it. if you have an enclosed trailer you need to install an alarm and probably another device to keep it from being hitched up and towed away.....

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
01-15-2005, 10:16 PM
We currently use all open trailers because enclosed trailers cost a lot of money and are not as easy to work out of as open trailers. Hopefully in the next year or so we will be able to buy a box truck. We are to the point that we are tried of pulling trailers around and would like to not have to load/unload daily. Also open trailers are more versatile you can haul mulch, gravel, dirt, debris, etc. We will always have at least one open trailer for such jobs.

Hey Adam,
I am talking with superlawntrucks about going over on a Saturday and getting my hands on one of their trucks to see how well i like them. Would you be interested in riding over with me? Email me at yardman@otelco.net

kipcom
01-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all of your replys to this thread. I know we all have our reasons for what type trailer we use.

There's NO BIt'ness like Mow Bit'ness :cool2:

MudslinginFX4
01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I agree with what many have to say about the open trailers. I prefer working out of open trailers a lot more. It is easier to pick up much, dirt, and throw debri in them when I need to. I guess I really don't have to worry having a safe place for the equipment at night time though because I store it all in the shop every night anyway. If I didn't have the shop I would probably with out a doubt use a enclosed trailer.