PDA

View Full Version : gas mpg sucks

nitrotim
01-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Now I know some guys on here are gonna bash me cause I drive a dodge but my truck has been good to me. I haven't had the tranny problems others with dodges have but I don't know if its the oxygenated gas or what but lately my gas mileage has sucked. I usually get about 155 to 165 miles to a have tank which comes out to be about 12 mpg but this last tank I got about 135. I haven't changed my driving style. I don't put my foot to the wick I just drive normal. I just wnated to know if anybody experienced this in the winter.

Gravel Rat
01-16-2005, 12:36 AM
What size of motor do you have and what year is the truck and what size is the truck ?

When was the last time you gave your truck a tune up ?

Did you resole you right shoe with lead ?

A guy I know has a 99 2500 Dodge 4x4 V8 auto the truck is a pig on fuel supposidly all the same trucks are pigs on fuel. There was some kind of recall notice to add something to the truck to try improve the fuel mileage but that didn't work.

I don't know what else to suggest if you don't like the mileage get a diesel truck or buy a 4-5' chunk of 1/2 rubber fuel line and a 5 gallon jerry can and a set of black clothes and go borrow fuel from your neighbours :laugh:

kc2006
01-16-2005, 12:37 AM
My diesel drops mpg in the winter also. I noticed in winter it makes more boost (possibly be cause of the cooler denser air??) but I used to get 20mpg towing and now its down to about 16-17.

Frosty_03
01-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I would try to change the oil first and then tune your truck. You have to remember the colder the air is the more fuel you are going to use if your truck is not tuned up. I always drop to a 5w/30 in the winter, and then a 10w/30 in the sping and my milage is the same all year round. :cool2:

kc2006
01-16-2005, 03:06 PM
tuning the new trucks inst going to do much unless it hasn't been maintained for crap. All your going to replace is wires, plugs, and a rotor, air air filter. You can benefit from changing all your fluids, less resistance from new fluid=more mpg. It wouldnt hurt to do all this, when i bought my truck it was getting 12mpg, changed all fluids and filters, bumped it up to 16mpg, put a tonneau on and put a better exhaust and intake an its at 23-25mpg around town.

Guthrie&Co
01-16-2005, 10:30 PM
change air filter,fuel filter. that should do it. unless you havent changed plugs and wires in a while