PDA

View Full Version : Take Care of Yourself!

afftandem
01-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Besides the obvious (eye/ear/skin protection), stay healthy. Plenty of talk about taking care of your equipment, but useless if your body gives out. Heres a few tips Ive learned about myself mowing for the past couple years.

1. Drink Gatorade! better than water. replenishes electrolytes, gives you the needed energy. Although probably good to mix it up with water now and then. Dont be like me and down a full 32oz bottle between mows.. too much carbs at once and rushes too much blood to stomach. Makes you feel light headed and sluggish. (Powerade tastes the same and is almost half the price)you can also buy mix powder to do it yourself for both gat & power.

2. Hydrate between each lawn, whether you need it or not.. this will maintain your energy to get through a long day.

3. Drinking ice cold is a shock to the system.. your body is rushing after a mow, another reason you may feel sluggish. Reccomended to drink tap water cool.(just like shutting off your mower, let it idle and cool rather than shutting off from full throttle). I was a medic in the airforce. (I still drink it ice cold)

4. Start out with a hearty breakfast. I have a sausage, egg, and cheese croissant, hash browns and coke every morning from b.king.. dont over do it though. dont have 2 sandwiches or however you upscale your own meals. single portion it not to weight you down... this sounds unhealthy but your burning alot of calories throughout the day and breakfast is the best time to get them in.. gives you the energy to get through the whole day. for me to have bk in the morning (but not over doin it) i feel better throughout the whole day. Also, not healthy to eat big when your body is overheated throughout the day.

5. for lunch a regular sized milk shake is always good.. digests easily, doesnt weight you down, gives you needed calories. your appetite is suppressed so it is really filling. also cools you down. a chicken salad (light, gives you needed protein)... even a few egg whites from boiled eggs (not too heavy, protein), but toss the yellow core.... egg whites are great in the morning for the protein, but throw in some carbs in the morn. for your needed energy for the day.

6. keep fruits for snacks btween mows, theyre great for good carbs for energy. and wont weight you down.

7. eat a good well rounded dinner.

8. 1 multivitamin a day

9. weight train. your getting good cardio throughout the week mowing but you stil need to hit the weights.. dont have to do it much.. if you did it 3 times a week, 20 min's each time, you'll feel the difference and make your days go better and smoother.

10. sleep

11. know your body.

12. cut back on smoking (bad idea to smoke..... I myself am a smoker) but never smoke on peoples lawns.. everyones anti smoking today anyways so it looks tasteless, esp. on a rider, not to mention the homeowner may think your flipping the butts in their yards) but only smoke btween in the trucks.. still bad but if you can cut down, youll feel alittle better overall.

13. shower in the morning.. sometimes wake up wondering why, knowin your goin to be soaked w/sweat in just a few short hours and then you throw on the same ol' dingy outfit from yesterday... youll feel better all day when ya clean up in the morning.

14. 1 beer/wine in the evening.. slows your system down and relaxes you, also makes your blood flow more easily and smoothly the next day.. disregard if you cant limit yourself to 1.

Most, you already probably knew, but if you learned anything, thats great.. taking care of yourself increases productivity and increasing productivity increases profits. It also creates a positive attitude which you yourself might not even notice but your friends, family, and mainly, CUSTOMERS will notice. and people like to surround themselves with positive people.. good for business.. makes it easier to sell that aerating job in the fall...I take care of myself and get comments on how good natured i am from my customers. When your unhealthy it shows in your confidence and attitude.

K.Carothers
01-17-2005, 03:34 PM
A lot of good points! The shower point is so true. I feel 100% better when I shower at the end of the day then take a quick one in the morning. I have even taken a shower in the middle of my day(close route)-That 20 extra minutes makes a big difference!

TClawn
01-17-2005, 10:08 PM
the gatorade is sugar water imo. you can get the electrolites from putting some salt in your water and squeezing some lemon into it to make it taste good. the sugar actually may be harming you more than helping. when you ingest sugar it gives you an energy spike for about 30 minutes, after that you blood sugar levels plummit for hours.

instead of gatorade I prefer to drink ultra fuel. it has lots of complex carbs so that it maintains energy throughout the day. you can get it at GNC or other health stores. it's made by twinlabs.

AEW
01-19-2005, 10:35 PM
You cannot be more right. Water and snacks all day long. Especially on the hot hot summer days. Ive been out and its been so hot and ive been so tired that i dont feel like eating but it is a MUST. Youre body needs energy and carbs keep your body energized. Your body is the most important thing anyone has...even more important than our $8000 mowers... :dizzy:

bowhunter1432
02-05-2005, 07:53 AM
some very import :) ant pointer you people pointed out thanx for the great info!!

KINGjosh
02-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Tell me if this is good for your body or not, Captain?

I wake up and drink a 24oz cup of coffee with extra C S.
I dont eat any breakfast at all. After that coffe i am Wired and time to go make money. Drink all my water ice freezing cold, all day long. I bring one pack of saltine crackers with me and eat it around lunch. then continue to work till route is done. get to the house and immediatley shuve food down my asofigus. Then proceed to crank the A.C to below 0 degrees, then i will sip on a beer. then after a while will hit the shower, eat dinner then hit the sack at about midnight.
I work out at least once a week with the weights.

LawnsByJon
02-05-2005, 08:25 PM
No offense, but I'm an avid adventure athlete, I compete in one or two adventure races a year, lawn mowing actually pays for most of my gear, and I have to disagree with one specific thing:

Gatorade is good. And it is better than water in some cases. But it should not be used as a replacement for water. Generally, you should use a 2:1 ratio when drinking gatorade. You should have two sips of water for every one sip of gatorade. Actually, the ratio isn't necessarily important, just try to keep a good balance, don't drink all gatorade.

scraper69
02-06-2005, 09:24 AM
damn. i start with coffee (KONA) strong hawaiian blend 4cups, smoke 1/2 pack cigs, off to the shop, start on Mt.Dew;s about 3 tru the day..mix it up with a couple waters here an there. Barely any lunch--cookie or banana sometimes a sandwich if not too hot. Back to shop. 2-3 beers , home, shower, dinner, no wieghts, (), couch,wake up 4am start over! i gotta change my habits