PDA

View Full Version : direct mailers

plateau lawn care
01-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Does anyone use the computer program that gives you all the addresses and zip codes in an area for direct mailings. If so what kind of response do you get. Do you all think you would have better luck of someone not throw it away as junk mail because they are interested to see what is in the envelope.

TurfGuyTX
01-16-2005, 12:26 PM
There's alot on this subject in "Elements of Business" area.

MMLawn
01-16-2005, 12:40 PM
First, I believe you will see that you will want to use postcards vs. envelopes because the difference in .37 and .23 cents will add up real quickly.

Second, the problem with such a program is that you will not know who is a home owner and who is not which may effect using your services and you may not know which are apartment addresses.

What we do is "buy" our mailing list from a local company that can sort and break them down anyway we ask and it is not very expensive.

Pecker
01-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Anyone know a general expected success rate for the mail outs?

mtdman
01-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Boy, I hate to give this away. There is a website that allows you to enter a street address and look up all the addresses on the street. If you know where you want to target, this is a good tool. I use it to target neighborhoods that I am already in. It's a bit time consuming to create a database with these addresses, but there is nothing else going on during the winter and there is plenty of time to do it. This is how I am going to create my mailing list, and I'll be targeting the neighborhoods I am already in and want to be in.

http://www.reversedirectory.langenberg.com/

marko
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Nice Link!!! Thanks MTD

mtdman
01-16-2005, 09:45 PM
And people say my posts are worthless!

:rolleyes:

Smithers
01-16-2005, 11:49 PM
And people say my posts are worthless!

:rolleyes:
tom, you are the best. i never said your posts are worthless. :):)

thanks

mtdman
01-17-2005, 02:59 AM
tom, you are the best. :):)

thanks

Hey, don't let that get around!

:D

MMLawn
01-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Boy, I hate to give this away. There is a website that allows you to enter a street address and look up all the addresses on the street. If you know where you want to target, this is a good tool. I use it to target neighborhoods that I am already in. It's a bit time consuming to create a database with these addresses, but there is nothing else going on during the winter and there is plenty of time to do it. This is how I am going to create my mailing list, and I'll be targeting the neighborhoods I am already in and want to be in.

http://www.reversedirectory.langenberg.com/

Tom, I also really hate to say this but that site is not really on the money at all. The reason being is it uses Published Telephone Numbers to get the addresses and I just tried a customer of mine that I know has an unpublished phone number and the site returned NO addresses for that street at all and it probably has 100 homes on it and I service 8 on it. So that means that you have the chance of missing many homes on a street.

Smithers
01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Tom, I also really hate to say this but that site is not really on the money at all. The reason being is it uses Published Telephone Numbers to get the addresses and I just tried a customer of mine that I know has an unpublished phone number and the site returned NO addresses for that street at all and it probably has 100 homes on it and I service 8 on it. So that means that you have the chance of missing many homes on a street.
mike, i put the street name, and all the residents came up. this way, i can address a letter or a card with their name on it....so it does not read, "Occupant" or "Current resident".

it found my name by typing the street, but not by phone number. I use only cell phone.

MMLawn
01-17-2005, 02:46 PM
it found my name by typing the street, .

So did I (I just used a street that I knew some customers had unlisted numbers on) and NONE of the street numbers of the customers that I know are unlisted came up. As a matter of fact (as I said this is a very long circling street) only 4 addressess showed up and there are probably at least a 100 on this street.

So all I am saying is, is that it IS a Great resource but maybe not complete

Smithers
01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
i agree, it's not that complete. i have 3 people on that one street and only one of them showed up. also, my neighbor sold her house and she is still listed on my street. i wonder how long it takes to be updated.

genoaustin
01-17-2005, 03:34 PM
The other one did not cover my part of Texas at all, may not work for other places. Type in a street, up pops the people. Now, if there was one that would tell me the streets nearby, so I could address to the whole block, that would be cooler than cool.

http://www.infospace.com/home/white-pages/reverse-address

Geno

mtdman
01-18-2005, 12:59 AM
It's not complete, doesn't have non published numbers. But I've found that around here at least, it covers probably 90% of the residents on a street. When you consider that it's a free resource, and you'd be paying $100s to get that last 10%, that's pretty good imo. I used it to mine about 500 addresses last spring, and it seemed to cover the streets I was targeting pretty well.

brentsawyer
01-18-2005, 11:46 AM
If you're lucky enough to live in a county where the property assessor's office has a nice website, you can type a street name in and it will give you the owner(s) name ALONG with property size, home size, what they paid for the house, when they bought it and the tax assesed value. All very important qualifying information.