PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Bed management

turf hokie
01-16-2005, 07:17 PM
How many of you guys offer bed weed mgmt as part of you service?

How do you set up your program?
--Biweekly?
--Monthly?

How do you bill it? Monthly? upon completion?

I have some interest from existing customers and was just curious to see how you guys did it.

Don't worry I will work out my own prices, I just wanted to know what worked for you guys as far as application and billing.

Thank you for any input.

Grassmechanic
01-17-2005, 07:41 AM
I'm at each clients property one day a week to perform bed maint. They are billed monthly.

turf hokie
01-17-2005, 04:01 PM
That is my dilema. I am only on the properties 5-6 times per year. Unless they have a shrub program.

ThreeWide
01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
As a single operator, I had a bad experience with bed maintenance this past year. If you take on a real mess as far as weeds go, it can take a very long time to get under control.

Even though I was on the property every week for mowing, the client was never satisfied with my weed control efforts. I have decided not to deal with bed maint in the future as long as I remain solo. You can sink many man hours into pulling weeds. Sometimes there is just no way you can spray them all out.

Adding bed pre-emergent to your fert program would be great, as long as there were no guarantees promised.

scottt
01-17-2005, 06:22 PM
We have two options for the customer to choose from.

A:We put down a pre-em in the beds and spray existing weeds every time we treat the lawn(usually six times a year). Being from an area with bermuda, we have to spray the bermuda in the beds with fusilade if it is growing into the shrubs. We bill this service at the same time as the lawn app.

B:For the customer looking for better results, we will come by once a month to spray existing weeds and put down a pre-em every other month. We try to time this with a lawn app. if possible. This service is billed monthly.

Bed maintenance has been very profitable for us. We will even take on customers who only want bed maintenance and no lawn maintenance or apps. as many of our customers have another company treat their lawn but they won't maintain the beds. On the really weedy beds, after the initial cleanup we have had great success with our programs. We use granular pre-em, even though some of the liquids last longer. The reason for this is many customers will remulch or turn over the mulch during the year and break the barrier.

turf hokie
01-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys. 1x per month makes sense. I was thinking every other week but that would price me out of the game.

Any other input would be appreciated.