PDA

View Full Version : f 150

s and s mowing
01-16-2005, 09:47 PM
i just bought a 2001 150 with a v6 auto and i have a 5 1/2 x 12 open trailer.how much bigger can i go with a open and a enclosed and still pull nice and stop safe.im hauling a 60 lazer and a walk-behind.

Drew Gemma
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
i use a similar truck first you need to take it to the spring truck and have them add a leaf that will help and solve almost all of your problems. Second go around and check your barke pads. buy liftime pads cause half ton trucks that pull trailers eat up brakes. changes pads more often and save your rotors. Put a k&n air filter on it that will help the power when your loaded down and climbing hills. Keep good tires on it and when the time comes put a flowmaster cat back exhaust system on it. springs are first and foremost.

s and s mowing
01-16-2005, 10:15 PM
thanks drew,so far i love it.an old man had it and traded it for 2005.it has 32,000 miles and looks new.but the stange thing is it already has the flowmaster system,and he was in his late 60s.i thought the muffler was wore out so i crawled under and it look like stainless,muffler says flowmaster.sounds good.

Smalltimer1
01-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Chip it. Also add a brake controller as well as a receiver hitch along with an add-a-leaf to the rear suspension.

s and s mowing
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
tell me about chip it

Drew Gemma
01-17-2005, 06:02 PM
My bad IU forgot you can put a chip in the truck so you can increase fuel mileage and performance when towing. they have diff. chips for diff. applications. Basically your going to want a chip that resets the shift points so your tranny isn't working to hard and it will increase your low end torque. It isn't much but it is enough to spend the 200 to 300 on one i guess. My truck is a 5 speed so the chip don't help me. but definetly put springs on and a k&n air filter. cost you about 300 for everything. the chip is your call. A brake controler if your pulling an enclosed trailer or anything over 2200 in Ohio. I think.

65hoss
01-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Weakest link on an F150 is the trans. DO NOT PULL THAT OR ANY TRAILER WITH OVERDRIVE ON. Always turn it off regardless of highway or in town. I have a 98 I bought new...1 yr of pulling and the trans had to be replaced. It was under warrenty and it cost ford over $2k. Guess what it would have been if my extended warrenty was out?. Even with the overdrive off, the f150's trans isn't the best. Be very easy on the trans.

procut
01-17-2005, 10:52 PM
The 4.2 V6 should pull a good size trailer just fine. My dad has a 2001 f-150 with a auto trans/ v6. i borrowed it to pull my trailer for a day once, and it handled my trailer almost as well as my F-250 with a 351 V8. If you do want/need more power, i would suggest a cold air intake, don't waste time with just the K&N filter, spend the xtra $$ on the intake system, the results will be much greater.

Smalltimer1
01-17-2005, 11:41 PM
I pulled my 5x8 with 2 riding mowers on it and one in the bed of a '98 F-150 XL longbed 4x2 4.2L/auto back in Sept. while my truck was being serviced, and I can tell you, it knew that trailer was there. The truck had a hard time on hills and it did not like it well. I could pull in OD as long as it wasn't constantly shifting in and out. Like on the interstate I could leave it in. But in stop and go traffic I left it out.