PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch......

KIDWITHADREAM
01-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, new to the site so bare with me. Ive worked for a local guy for the past 2 years doing lawn maintenance. This year im starting up on my own with my brother. Ive got some pretty good ideas on how to start, but some areas are still a bit grey. Equipment wise I already have a commercial whip, and stick edge. Looking to buy a used walk behind mower (good or bad idea????). I know a new one is a couple 1000. What should i expect for a used one? Also what should i look for when buying it? At this point i have a customer base of 15. I understand its not easy, and one of the best ways for advertisement is word of mouth. Whats the best way to get your name out there besides that? I also would like to take on a few commercial jobs, what is the routine for bidding on them (time, labor, size)? Like i said im new, and plan on becoming successful in the business. ANY information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
a.k.a- a kid with a dream

out4now
01-17-2005, 12:50 AM
First off congrats on your new endevor and welcome to the site :waving:A used walk behind may be the way to go for you or maybe the better quick 36 brand new for 2000 would be better. What are the property sizes you'll do? Big commercial lawns or smaller commercial lawns? Tool has to fit the job. You could run a flex deck and get more productivity that way and eventually get a big ztr for the commercial jobs. Also a tip: Look at the bar up sort of by where your login staus is and there is a search feature you'll love. Lots of info can be found with that tool in the future. Punch in commercial bidding or commerical accounts or something like that and there should be a ton of the older responses to similar questions. Once again welcome!