PDA

View Full Version : backpack sprayer and spreader

postman
01-17-2005, 02:03 AM
looking to buy a backpack sprayer and a spreader to pull behind mower which ones are the best price dont matter i want the best on the market.

thanks for help :waving:

Ric
01-17-2005, 11:32 AM
looking to buy a backpack sprayer and a spreader to pull behind mower which ones are the best price dont matter i want the best on the market.

thanks for help :waving:

Postman

I really can't recommend a tow behind spreader unless you are only doing very large property's as in acreage. Why not look into a unit like the Lesco Truckster. Spikes and Earthway also make electric broadcast wheel models that can be mounted to you mower. The Electric Broadcast wheel turns at a constant speed and constant Throw width. Ground Speed does not effect the throw. Do a search here for "Lesco Truckster" there are many pictures of how they can be mounted on your mower.

timturf
01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
consider the spyker fertilizer spreader.

Consider the electric model, ric isn't steering you wrong

good to see a post ric posting again!

DLS1
01-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Hey Ric good to see you posting again.

I bought a backpack sprayer based on research from this site. I bought the Shurflo 4 gal. rechargeable backpack sprayer. It stays charged for 120 gallons according to the manual. I have not had any problems yet.

I got mine at Northern Tools for $170.

Use the Search button at the top of this site and search for 'Shurflo" or "sprayer" and you can get a lot of good reading.

I always use the Search on this site to research a product before I buy anything. Good luck.

westwind
01-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I have always used Solo backpacks and have always worked well. I owned a Lesco electric mounted on the front of a Great Dane, never had a problem. Since then i have moved to a Permagreen machine, never looked back.

A.T.A.K
01-18-2005, 11:03 AM
There is a recall on the rechargable backs. the news came down on 01-16-05

DLS1
01-18-2005, 12:40 PM
There is a recall on the rechargable backs. the news came down on 01-16-05

Hazard: The power plug can corrode after extensive exposure to water and corrosive chemicals, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received three reports of power plug failures and one report of a minor fire. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled SHURflo ProPack Model SRS-540 rechargeable electric backpack sprayers have manufacture dates before September 2004. The model number and manufacture date are printed on a label affixed to the motor bracket, which can found by removing the battery pack. The sprayers have a clear or black hose, aluminum spray lance, and a white body. The words “SHURflo” and “Pro Pack” are printed on a label on the front of the unit.

Thanks. The above is the problem I found on the internet. Shurflo customer service # 800-222-5381.

I just called Shurflo and they will mail out some kind of kit to protect the wiring connection to the recharger.

Ric
01-18-2005, 07:42 PM
I have always used Solo backpacks and have always worked well. I owned a Lesco electric mounted on the front of a Great Dane, never had a problem. Since then i have moved to a Permagreen machine, never looked back.

Westwind

I don't care what type of System you use, the need for a back spot treatment whether turf or shrubs will always be with us. With new chemistry being more species special, the need will be greater.

DLS1

What would you say the spray volume per minute is on the Rechargeable Model. I am interested in spot spraying Shrubs for Caterpillars or other special needs. Some properties have only one Shrub that might need treated while other properties might have a whole row of that shrub. I have been using the 2.5 gallon pump back sprayer and I am just lazy enough to put a 4 gallon rechargeable sprayer on a dolly and pull it around to do spot treatments.

DLS1
01-19-2005, 03:27 AM
DLS1

What would you say the spray volume per minute is on the Rechargeable Model. I am interested in spot spraying Shrubs for Caterpillars or other special needs. Some properties have only one Shrub that might need treated while other properties might have a whole row of that shrub. I have been using the 2.5 gallon pump back sprayer and I am just lazy enough to put a 4 gallon rechargeable sprayer on a dolly and pull it around to do spot treatments.

I really don't know. I checked for calibration and with wide open nozzle (has 3 settings) I can spray a 1,000 sq ft. per 1 gal. and that is covering every inch of the 1,000 sq ft. I forgot how long it took for the 1,000 sq. ft.

I am looking for a one handle small tank type dolly to mount it on and push it around like you mentioned. I will not carry it on my back this year since it gets heavy.
Grainger has a item 2W14 - oxygen tank type dolly for $63 but I am still looking that has one handle. You got any small dolly suggestions?

Ric
01-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I really don't know. I checked for calibration and with wide open nozzle (has 3 settings) I can spray a 1,000 sq ft. per 1 gal. and that is covering every inch of the 1,000 sq ft. I forgot how long it took for the 1,000 sq. ft.

I am looking for a one handle small tank type dolly to mount it on and push it around like you mentioned. I will not carry it on my back this year since it gets heavy.
Grainger has a item 2W14 - oxygen tank type dolly for $63 but I am still looking that has one handle. You got any small dolly suggestions?

DLS1

Don't forget the larger the wheels the easier it will roll on Turf. Most dollies are made for hard surfaces and have smaller wheels. Yes Backpacks can get heavier the longer you use them. At present time I use the 2.5 gallon Shidawia Backpack and like it. What I am looking for is an easier way as I am quite Lazy. Space is an other consideration, we can only carry so much with us.

DLS1
01-19-2005, 12:34 PM
DLS1

Don't forget the larger the wheels the easier it will roll on Turf. Most dollies are made for hard surfaces and have smaller wheels. Yes Backpacks can get heavier the longer you use them. At present time I use the 2.5 gallon Shidawia Backpack and like it. What I am looking for is an easier way as I am quite Lazy. Space is an other consideration, we can only carry so much with us.

Easier means smart not lazy. :D

Ric
01-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Easier means smart not lazy. :D

DLS1

Maybe easier being smart at being lazy. :D