PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Plug In

procut
01-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Ok, heres the deal. I bought a used, (1992) F-250. The guy had used it to pull a fifth wheel travel trailer, thus it has a brake controller/plug in. The only problem is the plug in for the trailer brakes is in the box, because it was fifth wheel trailer. I need to be able to have the plug in at the back bumper so i can plug my landscape trailer brakes into it. My question, can i splice into the existing wire and run it to the back bumper and put another plug on it?

PLM-1
01-17-2005, 11:34 PM
probably...but...why don't you just buy an extension and go from the trailer to the plug in the box? Just a thought.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-18-2005, 07:07 AM
I am with PLM if you could buy an ext. it would be better, where ever you have a splice is a place for moisture and dirt to get and later on have wires corrode up or into and have a light problem

lwcmattlifter
01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
You can buy a Ford plug and go type harness that way you can unplug the box harness and hook up your bumper harness to the brake harness on the rear of the truck. A cheaper alternative would be to get one From a 250/350 at a junkyard. Where on the box is the wiring harness? Is it long enough that you can move it to the bumper?

procut
01-18-2005, 12:03 PM
probably...but...why don't you just buy an extension and go from the trailer to the plug in the box? Just a thought.

You can do this? anyone know for sure?

lwcmattlifter
01-18-2005, 04:31 PM
If you can find and extension with female ends on both sides or make one. But then you have a wiring harness running through your bed. You would have to be careful what goes in the bed when your towing. Don't want the harness to come unplugged if it gets bumped or snagged.