PDA

View Full Version : Critique this flyer, please...

two_planks
01-18-2005, 02:56 AM
6 hours on word to come up with this. What do you guys think of it? I'm going to do a test run in one of my target areas. If it gets results I'll use it as inspiration for my post cards I'll be doing in march.
Ben.

Winter Flyer (http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31498)

twins_lawn_care
01-18-2005, 04:40 PM
The flyer looks good, and I like your logo a lot, but is 25% too much? that just seems like a lot to give away, for a couple reasons...

1) that's 25% of your profit
2) if people know you can do the work for 25% less this time, it usually means you would be overpriced?
3) is your work a lot of returning customers, or one time usage? If one time, this may be shooting yourseld in the foot, offering such a discount for 1 time service?

just a couple things to think about. not that I am right/wrong, just some things that come to mind is all. looks good though. maybe only thing I'd change is bold the writing so it stands out more over the logo, or soften the logo in the background.

two_planks
01-18-2005, 06:15 PM
The flyer looks good, and I like your logo a lot, but is 25% too much? that just seems like a lot to give away, for a couple reasons...

1) that's 25% of your profit
2) if people know you can do the work for 25% less this time, it usually means you would be overpriced?
3) is your work a lot of returning customers, or one time usage? If one time, this may be shooting yourseld in the foot, offering such a discount for 1 time service?

just a couple things to think about. not that I am right/wrong, just some things that come to mind is all. looks good though. maybe only thing I'd change is bold the writing so it stands out more over the logo, or soften the logo in the background.

Let me explain. I recently moved out of the city to a small farming town about a half hour drive away. I've decided to stay 100% out of the city (I've sold all my contracts in the city) and focus on my town and several others that are all within 30 min drives from here. I am the only person who prunes according to ISA standards out here, there are only 2 other companies that do tree work and they are hack and wack, topping, tree butcher operations. The going rate for good tree work in the city is $80- $85 pmh, every one is busy and does not want to travel. Most guys raise their rates to $100- $120 +travel time to go out of the city, and thats if you can get them to come out at all.

There are just over 15,000 households in my target area, so I figure that there is plenty of work for a guy that is willing to work in the area. Through being closer and effective sheduling I feel that it will be quite profitable.

Knowing exactly what my expenses are I've figured out that I can work for as little as $55 pmh and still make a profit that I am happy with. So by setting my regular rate at $80 pmh my rates are very competitive compared to other companies, at $80 pmh I'll be coming in 25- 30% lower than my competition, so I don't think that people will think I am overpriced at that rate. Taking 25% of that rate still keeps me above that $55 price line.

About 50% of my work is new clients. But even if I charged the $60 pmh to every one I will still make a profit of $91,000 with just myself and one helper.

Smithers
01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
i honestly dont like it. i like the individual pieces, but not the whole thing combined. i dont like the overlapping portion. make them stand out by themselves.

i dont see the logo, which i liked in previous posts. the picture......it'd too dark. if you dont print that in kinko's, the client will see a big black square. sorry to be so honest.
there are companies in our area that give out 25% off all the time.

i didnt know that there is so much money in the three care area of this business..damn.

two_planks
01-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Not kinkos, none up here. But printed straight from a disk at print shop, everything shows up nice.

So you don't like it? Thats cool. Would it at least grab you attention enough to get you to read it before throwing it in the trash if it showed up in your mail though?

Smithers
01-18-2005, 08:29 PM
yeah, it would definetely grab my attention. i like your idea of working in small rural areas. i think people there dont get ton of flyers like we do here.....i am gettin sick of them.

Team Gopher
01-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi two_planks,

Have you considered taking out that top photo? Your logo looks so nice that it could be the center piece of your flyer.

Precision
01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Why not just go with 25% off of the going rate. That would put you below the other guys but still at your old rate.

It isn't a crime to leave money on the table, but it should be especially that much.

If you have the premium certification, people should want you to do the work.

Just my thoughts.

two_planks
01-20-2005, 02:34 AM
Why not just go with 25% off of the going rate. That would put you below the other guys but still at your old rate.

I'm going with 25% off the going rate for the other guys to work in the city. One of the reasons that I've moved out here is to tap a market that hasn't been taken advantage of. The rates that other companies charge to work out here are soo inflated for one reason. They don't want to work out here unless they are going to make a boat load of money. Why would they when they can stay busy working close to home? Charging those rates prices out 90% of the market.

I feel that I need to set my own rate, dictated by my own expenses and needs and work with that. My pricing has to be consitent. Especially in these small towns where every one knows each other and talks to each other. If I set my regular rate at $80 and then set my rate higher for people who are going to recieve the discount, so that I get $80 from them as well, not only is that dishonest but the guy who thought he was getting a discount is going to talk to the guy who paid regular price and feel like he was mislead and then he is going to tell every one he knows. On the other hand if I set my regular rate so that with the discount ends up with me getting the $80, then 90% of the potential clients that are not getting the discount won't be able to afford to hire me.

I am pushing long term tree care plans in a big way. If I have to give up 25% for one year to land a client for the next 10 years I'm willing ot do that. Right now I'm trying to get a strong foot hold in a new market. If this helps me to develop a strong client base, then in the long term it will be worth it.

lawncare4u
01-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Let me explain. I recently moved out of the city to a small farming town about a half hour drive away. I've decided to stay 100% out of the city (I've sold all my contracts in the city) and focus on my town and several others that are all within 30 min drives from here. I am the only person who prunes according to ISA standards out here, there are only 2 other companies that do tree work and they are hack and wack, topping, tree butcher operations. The going rate for good tree work in the city is $80- $85 pmh, every one is busy and does not want to travel. Most guys raise their rates to $100- $120 +travel time to go out of the city, and thats if you can get them to come out at all.

There are just over 15,000 households in my target area, so I figure that there is plenty of work for a guy that is willing to work in the area. Through being closer and effective sheduling I feel that it will be quite profitable.

Knowing exactly what my expenses are I've figured out that I can work for as little as $55 pmh and still make a profit that I am happy with. So by setting my regular rate at $80 pmh my rates are very competitive compared to other companies, at $80 pmh I'll be coming in 25- 30% lower than my competition, so I don't think that people will think I am overpriced at that rate. Taking 25% of that rate still keeps me above that $55 price line.

About 50% of my work is new clients. But even if I charged the $60 pmh to every one I will still make a profit of $91,000 with just myself and one helper.
Why, I can't understand why you are willing to do a job for $55 when others are getting $80!That is what some call lowballing ai call it throtecutting......with 15,000 homes in the area why stoop so low,stay wth $80 and do less jobs and have the same money which = more time off,,,,seems like you need to learn a little more about busniss :cool:

Smithers
01-20-2005, 09:43 AM
why dont you say that your rate is $80 and that is AFTER the discount. i agree with you on the un-tapped market. you are doing a good thing. the more rural areas are more loyal and you will get lots of clients. or go in between, say $65?

otherwise, your idea and intentions are great.

two_planks
01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Why, I can't understand why you are willing to do a job for $55 when others are getting $80!That is what some call lowballing ai call it throtecutting......with 15,000 homes in the area why stoop so low,stay wth $80 and do less jobs and have the same money which = more time off,,,,seems like you need to learn a little more about busniss :cool:

No need for name calling. I charge $80 as my regular price. I'm targeting a completely new area and I am offering an introductory rate at 25% off (which makes $60) for a short time to help get my name out and build a client base. It's kind of like when a gym opens and they offer a cheaper rate for a little while when they first open. I'm not stupid, after the next couple of months I'll stop offering that rate. I'm sick and tired of people calling some one a lowballer just because they are willing to leave a little money on the table. I don't set my rates based on what every body else is charging, I set them based on my expenses and and what I want to make for myself. Like I said in an earlier post even at $60 I can turn a profit of just under 100K. Then I can raise my rates next year, after I have built a solid client base, and make more.

I have a lot to learn about buisness. But please, explain to me how making $100K while aggressively growing my buisness and expanding my client base is either lowballing or throtecutting.

Just my .02