PDA

View Full Version : Getting Fert customers

mastercare
01-18-2005, 02:06 PM
I've been mowing/fertilizing for years. Finally did the math and realized that fertilizing has the highest profit margin of anything I do. Currently, I only offer it as an extra service to existing customers.

Now for the quesiton:

What's the most cost/time effective approach to pick up 100 residential fertilizer customers?

without cold calling, (and the standbys: existing customer base, word of mouth).....these are all great, but for NEW growth and quick pickup of customers, what have you guys found to be the most effective way of picking up fert customres quickly? Any comments of success/failure are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

trimmasters
01-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Why not just cold call? It works.

Envi-Lawn
01-18-2005, 04:11 PM
It took me 1 season to pick up 100 new accounts, I never cold called.

1.Have prepared advertising, knock on doors, and sell yourself, face to face. Target densely populated neighborhoods, 4pm-6pm early Spring, Saturday mornings also are great times, make sure your truck is shiny and uncluttered. 2.Also, run an ad in the local newspapers. People will connect. 3.Try to target new construction, give the first account a sweet deal, many homeowners will follow, 4. Promise, and deliver personalized service.

These may not work for everyone but I literally had prospective accounts wait in line to hire my services once I got a homeowner to talk out on his front lawn. This has happened on several occasions. Be persistant, returning to these areas during high visibility times to become familiar.

westwind
01-18-2005, 06:04 PM
#2 and #4 have always worked for me. localized flyers in your existing routes may give you a quick response, done over intervals it's been very productive. of course this is after you have cultivated your own customer base. good luck.

SprayBandit
01-18-2005, 11:16 PM
I have alot of luck with newspaper inserts(dropouts as some call them)
They always get me tons of business around March 15th.
Our local newspaper prints them for me and I buy the zips I want.
Just get a half of a sheet of regular paper and write out all
your services and phone numbers and such... company logos always help with familarity and fill up both sides with BIG Print :) The phone goes nuts!!!

spray guy
01-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Your only obstacle from attaining your goals will be yourself. Discipline yourself
by setting daily goals during the winter and early spring for obtaining new
customers and never stopping until you hit that daily goal. If you do not hit that daily goal - Do not get down on yourself - accept the fact that the next day you will need to put on that many more. By instilling that mindset to yourself, others in your workplace will set higher goals as well, it will become
contagious. Or at least that is the ultimate goal. Good luck to all.

mastercare
01-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the responses. It should be a grueling spring, with all the extra work I'm trying to pick up. Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming!

Hope you're all having an enjoyable winter.