PDA

View Full Version : Posting this in Lawn mower shops

Mclaughld
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm planning on starting a lawn business soon but i dont have the lawn care know-how. I decided to post this in some lawn mower shops around my area. Any way you think i can improve this?

Free Labor for your Business.
Solo Operators,
Iím interested in the lawn care industry and would like to ďapprenticeĒ with a sole operator or small company.
I will work for you for FREE.
Thatís right, no charge. 8-12 hours a week. Iím great company so it wonít be a drag driving around with me. Youíll finish your routes quicker, giving you more time with your family (or your T.V.). Iím from Half Moon Bay so I wonít be competing with you in the future. This is a chance for you to take a young guy under your wing and show him the ropes.
Iím strong, smart, and my customer service is off the charts. Lawn care basics are really what I'm interested in learning. This will be a win-win situation for both of us.
Please be insured, I want to work with legitimate people and companies.
Thanks and have a wonderful day.

gogetter
01-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Why? Why not just get a job working for someone and get paid while you learn?!! Now THAT would be a "win-win situation".

twins_lawn_care
01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I would think it may be hard to find a legitimate business to do this. Reason I say this, is I am a solo operator. My insurance specifically covers me, the solo! SO it may be hard, or I could be wrong, to find a solo op, with additional coverage, but may be possible.

I do agree though, just get a job, and learn as you work for someone, and keep the $ and put it towards some equipment for yourself!

good luck, and way to think differently. carry that over when you market your business, it will go a long way!

Mclaughld
01-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I just got back from 2 lawn shops. It was a good experience. The first owner i talked to for a bout 5 minutes and he said he had some people in mind that might be interested. I left the flyer with him and thanked him for his time.

The second lawn shop the guy said he didnt know anyone that would want to do this because they are all afraid of competition. I must have talked with him for about half an hour. He was a really nice guy.

I wanted to do it for free because then i wouldnt be an employee. This way i could pick the times that are good for me. I have a full time job right now that pays me well. So i dont want to stop working there in order to make $8 an hour helping a lawn company.

We will see if anything becomes of this.

timturf
01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
If you are dependable, you should state that!

TClawn
01-19-2005, 04:15 PM
It might work, but I have the feeling that nobody is going to want to share their secrets with the local competition.

Mclaughld
01-20-2005, 01:13 AM
It seemed to work.
I had someone call me last night about the flier. He said he could take me on and show me the ropes. He has a 2 man operation with 150 residentials. He was super nice and said the only thing was, he wouldn't let me work for free. :)
What he and many of you fail to realize is that I'm not working without payment. I'm getting knowledge in return. That will pay off a thousand times more then the $8 an hour will. If it makes him feel better, he can buy me lunch. :p

He said he is not working for the next 2 weeks because he just "twisted his back". At the end of the month we are going to meet up and see how things go.

I'm happy i took the initiative.

Pro-lawns
01-20-2005, 02:52 AM
hey bud
take the money and use it for your own company
buy your own equitment
like a lawn areator or power rake it shure beats renting them
i bought my lawn air last august on my credit card
my wife was mad but i told her that it would pay off in the long run
she was amazed that i payed it off in two months and made a profit
this year she gets a new kitchen bummer :cry:
every bit of money that you get in the long run will help you for your
endever in lawn care just rember the things you need to get started
adevertizing,fuel ,truck ,equitment and so on cost money
good luck
johnny

lawncare4u
01-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Afew years back,I did the same thing.Even though he paid me $5.00 per hour...the going rate for a helper at the time was $10.oo-$12.00 a hour....Ilearned the trade and made it back many times over.........go for it,and good luck! :waving: