PDA

View Full Version : Changing 3/16" Lauan to Plywood in Enclosed Trailer

Smithers
01-18-2005, 07:40 PM
I did a search, read 3 pages full of anything else, but what i needed. So, finally decided to post my question.

I purchased a trailer with 3/16" Lauan sides. It's very flimsy and actually stapled where the pieces overlap. It is screwed to the "joists" with nuts.

Has anyone changed their original sides to plywood in an enclosed trailer?

How difficult was it? I'm a not afraid to do the straight portions, but i have a curve in the front and i have no idea how i will bend the plywood.

What thickness plywood did you use? Also, right next to the drop gate, there is a small area which is also kinda curved. how do you overlap pieces that butt up to metal and plywood?

My current 3/16" Lauan looks really cheap and nasty. i have to use toggle bolts for ANYTHING that i want to hang, or it will break like a twig. any help would be appreciated, as always. thanks a lot!!!

wriken
01-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Has anyone changed their original sides to plywood in an enclosed trailer?

I was thinking of doing it also, I'm going to rip it off, and insulate the walls. Probably could put 1/4 or 3/8" in.

Smithers
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
why insulate the walls? will it be heated? does your have a curve in the front? how will you bend the plywood?

PMLAWN
01-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Think about just going over the Lauan. Don't bother with taking the old out.

Smithers
01-18-2005, 10:31 PM
will i be able to curve the plywood in the front? how should i attach it, with toggle bolts?

DrByrd
01-19-2005, 09:04 AM
I would go over existing walls with plywood 3/8 or thicker attaching with flat head wood screws and constuction adhesive, temp. is critical when using adhesive,but you won't get it off once it cures. Mark your wall studs prior to adding plywood (mark on ceiling & floor) snap a line on you new wall to use for any heavy equipment mounting such as trimmer racks. Use self-tapping metal screws for this and toggles if you can't hit metal studs. remember there is alot of bouncing going on with anything mounted on the walls. I have tried to lay out walls so as to use wall studs to mount to. hope this helps?? As far as rounded front I just built shelves free standing floor to ceiling there and screwed to side walls

PMLAWN
01-19-2005, 09:29 AM
DrByrd just saved me a lot of typing.

Smithers
01-19-2005, 02:39 PM
drbyrd,

so you are saying to attach the new plywood to the steel studs directly with self taping screws (metal or wood), and put glue elsewhere, which will adhere to the lauan, right? that is a good idea.

the shelve idea is amazing, too. how do you secure the shelves on top? do you attach them to the new plywood? if yes, how do you attach them?

that is a really nice trailer. what size is it?

DrByrd
01-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey I would glue the new plywood to the old and use flat-head wood screws to draw the two pieces of plywood together so the glue can do its job. I would be more concerned with screwing into the wall studs using self-taping metal screws -a word of caution here take note of the right length so you don,t find screw heads sticking thru the outside of trailer ? Try to lay out your racks or whatever you decide to hang on the walls so as to screw into wall studs I don't know how well the toggle bolts will hold? Also easier to use hex-head self-tapping than phillips head. You may want to paint you floor, I used an epoxy paint and on the ramp door I added silica (sand) to the paint for a no slip finish. The shelfing in front I screwed 2x2 lumber across the front wall and attached the back of shelfing to that ( the shelf actually lays on top of 2x2) that way the back is attached and supported. The front frame is attached to either side of trailer. The size of my trailer is 8x20. I will try and get a picture of my shelving posted.Well that should pretty much #!*? confuse you. Sorry if I rambled.

DrByrd
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
If you want look at my thread on 12/27 Pixs of my equipment it has some better pixs of shelfing, picture worth a thousand words . lol

Smithers
01-19-2005, 06:24 PM
yeah, i'd like to see some pictures. can you post some or give me a link if you have posted them already?

i can't paint my floor..it is dirty already, unfortunately. what kind of epoxy paint did you use? line-x? i might change my floor too...just lay new one on top.

you are right..you confused me with the shelves..lol. thanks though

Smithers
01-19-2005, 06:43 PM
i can't paint my floor..it is dirty already, unfortunately. what kind of epoxy paint did you use? line-x? i might change my floor too...just lay new one on top.

you are right..you confused me with the shelves..lol. thanks though

i saw the pics....really good...i wish you did a close up of the actual top of shelves...to see how you are securing the top of them.

wriken
01-19-2005, 11:20 PM
why insulate the walls? will it be heated? does your have a curve in the front? how will you bend the plywood?

mine is used mostly for snowmobile race trailer now. I have a propane heater installed right now, along with vinyl/clear plastic zippered for the back of the trailer, you can leave the ramp down, let light in and keep the heat in. :)

Albemarle Lawn
01-21-2005, 12:30 AM
That sound Hawaiian.

Lauan sounds like some kind of Hawaiian food.

Smithers
01-21-2005, 09:06 AM
i know. the spelling is weird too. but that's what the cardboard, thin plywood is called that is 3/16" thick.

Albemarle Lawn
01-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Sounds like what I have in my Haulmark. Wafer-thin stuff.

Smithers
01-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Sounds like what I have in my Haulmark. Wafer-thin stuff.
do you still have that or you changed it to a thicker plywood?

Albemarle Lawn
01-22-2005, 01:35 PM
The trailer is a 2000 model year. It was only a few weeks old when broadsided by a truck.

It is now a storage trailer. In the wreck, a mower punched through the wall and damaged the exterior panels near the rear, in addition to the damage at the front.

The frame wasn't bent, so now I drive it only when needed and set it on site if I need storage for something.

The Lauan is there to stay......no upgrades for that crumpled trailer. :(

Albemarle Lawn
01-22-2005, 01:45 PM
If you get a "fresh" supply of treated plywood, you should be able to bend it.

If you could soak it overnight, then lay is across a PVC pipe 6" in diameter between two parked trucks.

Like a see-saw, pipe in the center, truck wheel parked on each side (not so close as to break). Let it set up to dry overnight or better 24 hrs. Should hold its curve, the cut the sizes you need and install without wasting any time.

Smithers
01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
yeah, that plywood has to be very thin, though.....i just bought a 1/4" plywood for a project in house and that is pretty thick. but maybe i can get a 5 sheets of lauan, and that will make one thick plywood sheet. just a thought.

but i really like the shelves idea...who does not need shelves, right?

beck
01-23-2005, 10:09 AM
For the curves you could use thinner plywood and build it up by using several pieces/layers.

I have 3/4" plywood walls in mine and all of my equipment is attached to the walls with screws and everything has held up well. I use E-track with special brackets for holding trimmers and blowers. They have several other options available for holding water coolers, rakes, shovels, spare tires, etc.

If your floor is already dirty, oily or greasy forget about trying to paint it. We sanded ours down and put the bedliner stuff on it has already come off.

My problem is with the flip down piece on the ramp door, it seems that we reattach that several times a year. If anyone has any suggestions/solutions please let me know.

Smithers
01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
i have the tracker too, about waist hight, and have not used it once. what a waste of money. dont know why. i have the clips, but my mower has a brake, so what's the point.

what kind of brackets did you put on it? have pics or website?

i agree with the bottom of the trailer, waste of time to repaint it.

What kind of problems are you having with the ramp? the wood comes off of the ramp itself? how can it come off?

beck
01-24-2005, 10:21 AM
I will have to find the website for the special brackets used with the e-track we use it to hold both the trimmers and blowers. Although I would probably reuse them for the blowers I will be switch to something else for the trimmers because the trimmers will bounce out of there is no load in the trailer. We also have e-track on the floor to secure any loads but do not use it for the mowers.

As for my ramp door at the bottom of it when it is all the way down on the ground, there is a 1 foot piece on a hinge that folds down. That is the piece that constantly comes off.