PDA

View Full Version : golf courses

lawnboyCO
01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Has anybody in here made the switch from residental and commercial lawn care to just strictly maintaining a golf course? I would someday like to just strictly maintain a 5-star golf course, I know it would be alot different from regular lawncare, but alot of things would be the same, just wondering if anyone knows much about making a switch like this?

Drew Gemma
01-19-2005, 12:10 AM
I fyou wanna make any money you better go get your degree in turf science. I did then worked at a course for awhile just not my thing so I started my own bus. Go check it out. Their is a lot of crap you ahve to put up with that course work. Big money places pay good but they are hard to work for. Mom and pop courses are easy work with crapy pay. hit me back if you got questions

Grassmechanic
01-19-2005, 07:56 AM
for a good paying job on a GC, you'll need to become a Certified Golf Course Superintendent. Plan on at least a bachelors, preferably a masters, in turf management. Those jobs are few and far between. I ran a GC for 8 years - It's no where as easy as you think it is. There are major headaches to deal with on a daily basis. Maintaining residential and commercial lawns has a higher earning potential, with less baggage.

YardPro
01-19-2005, 08:01 AM
golf courses can be a pita.

LOTS of area to be maintained, shoestring budgets.
uneducated ( about turf) board members calling the shots.

they are not all like that, but the nice ones do thier maintenance in house.

sjj14
01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
I have made the switch the other way and would never go back. Was a certified super for 12 years and got out last year to do my own thing. Let me just say that you will be married to the course you would be taking care of. In my area it is mostly done in house by clubs. What would be your responsibilities? Just spraying/ fert or the whole package(mowing etc.) If you want some specific answers to questions send me a message would be glad to help any way I can. Steve

Ric
01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
golf courses can be a pita.

Lawnboy

Yes some Golf Course supers make great money. But Most courses are run by a Greens Committee. A change in the Committee is generally a change in supers. It is actually a very political job. Now others have given you reasons also as to why the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. More stress than I want to deal with.

lawnboyCO
01-19-2005, 07:52 PM
wow, maybe I don't want to be involved in golf courses, guess I like being my own boss, Thanks for the feedback guys

YardPro
01-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Lawnboy

Yes some Golf Course supers make great money. But Most courses are run by a Greens Committee. A change in the Committee is generally a change in supers. It is actually a very political job. Now others have given you reasons also as to why the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. More stress than I want to deal with.

that's what I am seeing as well.too much BS

the super here at the club i'm a member at only makes about $40K.
he has to work all the time. 60 hrs a week all year.

EGL&L
01-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Just as Steve has done, I made the switch the other way as well, and would never go back! I worked at the course for a total of 22 years and loved it, was the Super for only 3 and realized I hated it. I still miss the day to day operations, the planning for future improvements, the crew, and even the smell of the air at sunrise, but I will never miss the political environment of the Private Club.
Yes the money was great, but at what cost? Worked EVERY day, somedays 12 -14 hours. Very little time for family, and self. I had just built a new house, my daughter was 2 months into private college, and I walked away.
I'd lie if I said it wasn't a struggle now, but I am much happier, and a better person.
Consider this thoroughly.

Bob

kootoomootoo
01-22-2005, 03:25 PM
It would be a great job if golfers were banned..... :)

dmoney
01-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I loved the golf course work too but the pay isn't great. What everyone says is here is true. And remember is the super goes so usually does the rest of the crew

YardPro
01-23-2005, 05:29 PM
the super at the local course here only makes $40K. we often talk shop, as we maintain 30 acres/week of 419 bermuda.

he works 60+hrs per week and ahs to work banquet functions, sometimes until 3:00am.
i am trying to get him to come to work for us, but he likes being top dog there too much.

timturf
01-23-2005, 05:30 PM
It would be a great job if golfers were banned..... :)

It's not the golfers!!!!

YardPro
01-23-2005, 07:56 PM
it's the board members.
they think supers have this magic wand that they can waive and poof problem is fixed.

also they are hard to convince of the importance of prevention. they don't want to spend $$ on a problem they cannot yet see.

dmoney
01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
sometimes it can be the members. everyone thinks they know everything there is about the grass. And as for the board members/owners most want a golf course looking like Augusta National on a Volkswagen budget

Grassmechanic
01-26-2005, 02:21 PM
sometimes it can be the members. everyone thinks they know everything there is about the grass. And as for the board members/owners most want a golf course looking like Augusta National on a Volkswagen budget

Geez, if THAT isn't the truth.

Turfman76
01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Have done both here with more success in the golf course field. Landscaping business was good, nice to be your own boss, but theirs are alot of problems with customers,insurance, employees...etc. Now I am not saying that Golf Course's do not their own set of problems as well. I feel that the golf course field is more challenging than landscaping, was getting bored with the whole business, golf course offers a very wide range of projects, turf types, construction....and the list goes on...just my opinion...and just because it's 5 star does not mean they pay the best or are the hardest to work for, trust me, have worked at the best golf course in the country and have worked a few that your normal country club....do your homework first...good luck with your career...

kootoomootoo
01-27-2005, 01:38 AM
It's not the golfers!!!!

the golfers are the very same board members.