PDA

View Full Version : Drive point boring????

GrazerZ
01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Talked to a guy the other day that said he use to use a drive point with 1 1/4" threaded driving rod and driving cap on it to get under walkways and the like. The pipe is galvinized and he would just unscrew the point and driving end and leave the pipe for water.
Never heard of doing it quite like that before. did see that my supply house carries all the stuff I would need. I ask because Iv'e done the water in the pipe junk and don't like the washout factor.
Have any here tryed this before? Imput is welcome . Thank you.

Grassmechanic
01-19-2005, 11:02 AM
I've just used a piece of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" PCV and drove it in with a hammer. Every now and then, pull the pvc out and tap it on the sidewalk to remove the soil. Keep repeating the process until you are through to the other side. Pull out the pvc and push your poly through (tape or plug the end first). Most sidewalks have sand underneath and are quite easy to get under. I generally can get under a 4"-5' sidewalk in a half hour or less.

Rotor-Man
01-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Ditto , on the method that Grassmechanic uses. It works fine for me also and even if the pvc stays under the sidewalk, I just put the 1" poly pipe thru it and make the connections on both sides of the sidewalk.

GrazerZ
01-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Yea I've done similiar things myself. Sometimes it works good, sometimes it doen't. So have any tryed what I asked about?

jerryrwm
01-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Have tried many methods - Driving steel pipe under the concrete, and pulling it out with the truck. Washing a bore under (connect hose to 3/4" and then put this inside a 11/4" and turn the water on. Works great on sandy soil.) But my favorite all time method has to be an "Under Wunder" or "Port-A-Mole" boring machine. Sidewalks are a snap. driveways a breeze and we even made a 60' bore under a driveway at an angle through a gate. If you are doing a lot of irrigation installations, it will pay for itself in no time. It takes about 15 minutes to bore and backream a 16' driveway in good soil. Rocky fill takes about 30 min.

Check 'em out.

Jerry R

dbielawski
01-21-2005, 05:53 AM
I use the boring attachment on the front of my Case Maxi Sneaker. However, Jerry, you've got my curiosity with the Under Wunder and port-a-mole. A quick Google search didn't come up with much. Can you give us a manufacturer or Web site? My thanks.

aquamtic
01-21-2005, 08:36 AM
I had looked into the Porta Mole. Here is the link.

Its good to here feedback from others.

Is anyone else using it.

http://www.portamole.com/

jerryrwm
01-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Owned a Portamole quite a few years ago. It is accurate, and will bore straight and level as long as you don't crowd it.

Also use the Under Wunder now.

They both work on the same principle - a horizontal bit with "eyes" (old oil field term) fitted on a drill stem that has a water sleeve attachment that flushes the drilled material out of the bore. Then you can back-ream with a special bit. They also have rock bits that can cut through some pretty good rock - (we made a 2" bore through an 8" concrete footer - took about 45 minutes but we got through)

I don't remember which - but I think the owner of Under Wunder used to work for the owner of Port-A-Mole, and after a falling out, left and started making his machine. Or it may have been the other way around. At any rate the only major difference is the rotating spring on the P-A-M vs. the rotating U-Joint on the Under Wunder.

I want to say they are around $2500.00 or so.

Jerry R