PDA

View Full Version : Will a 36" Walk Behind fit in an 8' truck bed?

mister_snowplow
01-19-2005, 01:33 PM
After a full season of leaf removal and snow plowing, this coming spring I will be starting the lawn maintenance side of my lawn maintenance/snow plowing business (my company is registered and I am fully insured). I am looking into buying a 36" Scag SWZ Hydro walk-behind because the lawns I will be servicing are not huge, and I honestly don't have the room or money for a ZT Riding mower yet. I live in a multifamily house so I also don't have room for a trailer at this moment. My question to you is would a 36" walk-behind fit in an 8' truck bed...and would I be able to push it up the ramps I built for my snowblower?

Thanks for the help! This site is a goldmine of information! :waving:

green814
01-19-2005, 01:47 PM
With the discharge chute up it should fit. Most fullsize trucks have about 48" or 49" between the wheelwells. Length should not be a problem either. As far as the ramps,the longer the better. Maybe at least 7' or 8' might be ok.
Chris

Tvov
01-19-2005, 02:28 PM
A "normal" pickup truck bed, 8', will easily fit a 36". Will also fit a 48" very well. Something to think about is taking off the bed and building your own wooden flat bed, you will be able to fit much more equipment.

Mowingman
01-19-2005, 02:28 PM
We have put a 36" walkbehind in a Ford Ranger, short bed pickup. It just fit lengthwise. Side to side was just fine. you should have no problem with your truck

mister_snowplow
01-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Great...thanks for the help! :D

touhey33
01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I have a 32" walkbehind and an 8 foot bed and it fits with plenty of room to spare, I also built a ramp for it and i just drive it up in reverse, if i had to push it up i wouldn't be able to.

Green Envy Lawn Mowing

pgiambat
01-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Mister Snowplow,
I just posted this crazy big drawing I did of my (36" in the back of a pickup) setup. It kicks butt for me. I do about 25 cuts a week (full time day job) and this set up allows me to "Stick and Move" and make money.

Here is the link to the post:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93018

Here is the drawing (I love MsPaint), hit me back and let me know what you think:
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Truck_Mower_Setup.JPG

Tvov
01-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Wow, pgiambat, must be the slow season for you! Quite the drawing!

Lawnchoice
01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Looks like an engineer to me!

mister_snowplow
01-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Mister Snowplow,
I just posted this crazy big drawing I did of my (36" in the back of a pickup) setup. It kicks butt for me. I do about 25 cuts a week (full time day job) and this set up allows me to "Stick and Move" and make money.

Here is the link to the post:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93018

Here is the drawing (I love MsPaint), hit me back and let me know what you think:
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Truck_Mower_Setup.JPG

pgiambat,
Thanks for passing along your idea and diagram. I downloaded the diagram, which will work perfect for me! :waving: I'll take some pictures and let you know how it goes when I build it. Thanks again!

mister_snowplow
01-21-2005, 03:18 PM
pgiambat,
If you don't mind me asking...in your diagram, where do you put your clippings?

Once again, great setup...thanks!

pgiambat
10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Mister Snowplow,
I just happened to check some older replies, almost one year ago. You asked where I put the clippings. Well... I don't. The biggest drawback, I have to leave all clippings on the lawn by double-cutting or bagging and transfer to lawn bags and leave them. Our town has yard waste pickup. I'm telling you, this is the stick-and-movin'-est rig in town. The only way to go faster is to have a second person.
I'm still using the same set up. Last November I went to Chicago and got a 52" Hyro for $400 and that guy goes in my truck as well, I just have to back it in and move some things around.
As far as the good drawing... I have a full time day job (at a computer) and have some time here and there to do a bit of "Drawing". Actually I use Microsoft Paint and am very fast with it, it's all I use.

If you actually read this let me know.
giambattista<remove>AT<remove>cox<remove>DOT<remove>net

Pgiambat

dmc456
10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Do you have an actual picture of this setup?