PDA

View Full Version : Did you mow?

Acute Cut
01-29-2001, 05:56 AM
Quick question for all of you guru's out there. After cutting a lawn at 3-4 inches it looks great. The customer says it looks great. Two days later it appears raggady and not really all that great. What am i doing wrong that the lawn should do this? I use an exmark 52" WB hydro floating deck mower.

Customer say it looks better for a longer duration if i cut shorter. I KNOW that is a bad idea in the summer cause all the roots get burned.

Ideas?
Acute Cut

HOMER
01-29-2001, 06:01 AM
Sounds like your either taking too much off or you have dull blades. What kind of grass is it. If the grass is too dry or too wet it will happen too. Do you fertilize it?

Acute Cut
01-29-2001, 06:05 AM
No ferts. Some moss being as i live in the Northwest. Blades are usually sharp. I believe the common grass here is Kentucky bluegrass. The grass blades do not have the ripped look at the end like i have seen dull blades do. I could double check this season though.

HOMER
01-29-2001, 06:08 AM
Have the homeowner call the county extt. office. Have them come out and look at it. Do they use another company for their spraying?

powerreel
01-29-2001, 12:08 PM
3 inches is max here with all our rain. I am around 1 inch now

65hoss
01-29-2001, 12:53 PM
Usually when you mow higher the grass doesn't grow as fast.

Twotoros
01-29-2001, 01:18 PM
Most healthy vigorous growing lawns look best mowed twice a week but alas no customer wants to pay for that kind of service. Maybe it was fertilized uneven and /or needs areation . I run into this problem with a few every season . The customer complains that after 2-4 days it looks like it needs mowing and could I mow it shorter and I expain that this is what turf does - grow. If it didn't I would not be in this business.

Premo Services
01-29-2001, 02:33 PM
I have this problem every spring with new customers, and I suggest that the lawn be cut every 5 days during the spring growth if this is a major concern of theirs and only 2 has had me do this in the six yrs. I have been in this business.I have also had a few that wanted me to cut it at 2-2/12 inches in the hot summer which is unacceptable in my opinion because it dries out and looks so bad.

TJLC
01-29-2001, 02:47 PM
Having a fixed deck, it is more difficult for me to keep changing deck heights. Last year I always cut at 3 1/2". Some customers complained I was cutting too high. I tried to explain why I was cutting it that high. Some understood, some didn't want to hear about it. This year I have my decks set at 3". I'll see how this goes over. Some custs. won't be happy reguardless of what you do.