PDA

View Full Version : Dead and unsightly grass

Acute Cut
01-29-2001, 06:03 AM
I have been touching base with some of my customers recently and have noticed something disturbing with my grass. Some of the grass is dying. I am not talking like as in hot spots or disease either. The blades of grass look like the ends were hit by lightening and exploded like a tree trunk would.

Blades are sharpened if i cant shave with them in the morning so i am not thinking that is it. Double blade damage perhaps?

The dead grass is yellow in color. It is a cool season grass so it should stay green like the rest. Annual ryegrass dying off perhaps? (I am just recently learning about diff grasses so i am totally guessing here.) I know many people around here add some of it to the Kentucky bluegrass for inital growth, but some of these lawns are established. Mine included.

No fertalizers or any chemicals have been added. That is all i can think of to let ya guess with. Thanks for the help guys.

Acute Cut

p.s. I'm guessing kirby would know something atleast. He always has in the past.

HOMER
01-29-2001, 06:06 AM
Sounds like a chemical thing going on or iron deficiency.

YLC1
01-29-2001, 09:44 AM
Sounds like you should get soil samples from these lawns and have it tested.It sounds like it may need iron.I have used Ironite to correct this problem.Lesco or your local Extension service should be able to help with the soil tests.I hope this helps.

moonarrow
01-29-2001, 09:56 AM
I'm having some of the same prob with my winter rye but I think what the prob is , is there has been to many days of cloudiness and not enough sunshine to produce the reaction that causes the greening to take place. there for the tips of the grass begin to turn brown and split. cut the grass a little bit shorter and as the sun begins to shine you will begin to see the greening process take place

powerreel
01-29-2001, 12:02 PM
Crane Flys are coming up! That may be your problem. Also it's time for an N ap. I've been doing liquid iron after mowing everything once.
To tell if you have crane flys, look for pencil sized holes around the dead grass areas. This year with no snow or cold there is nothing to keep them in check so it's gonna be a good one for turf rene!

65hoss
01-29-2001, 01:20 PM
??? Some disease you picked up with your mower could be spreading to other lawns??? Just a thought.

Could the time of year have something to do with it? My fescue is all dormant here in the midsouth because of the very cold temps lately.

Strawbridge Lawn
01-29-2001, 01:46 PM
Had a similar (spotty) problem with my newly establuished Tall fescue southeast VA. Dug up some and noted a large number of grubs and worms feasting within the rootsin NOV.
Hard cold winter has also brought it to dormancy here/