PDA

View Full Version : I passed today!!!!

Green-Pro
01-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Today I passed the pesticide/herbicide test for the state of Iowa license, whew.... what a relief. Test was not that unbearably tough I just dislike the taking of them. Three year applicator license, one year business license. To not have to re-test (written anyway) I will need to go to extension office to view a video pertaining to the category I am certified for, ornamental and turf. Have to endure only this once a calender year, not to bad. I do have some friends that forget and then have to take the written what a pita that would be.

:cool2:

G-P

jim dailey
01-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, Congratulations. Something to be proud of. I am thinking of pre-retirement soon in Florida, and maybe taking it down there. I live there, now, in the winters. I should start investigating it pretty soon and see what it involves. Again, Congratulations...JIM.

K&L Landscaping
01-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Our test wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it would be but it still stresses the crap out of you until it's over. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Make sure you get your C.E. hours so you don't have to take it again next year.

Green-Pro
01-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Make sure you get your C.E. hours so you don't have to take it again next year.

Definitely, I can handle the class/video part to re-certify each year, don't get how some of my buddies can just forget about it and then have to wig out over testing again, but thanks for the congrats.

Thank you to Jim and Florida sounds pretty toasty to this Iowa boy right now!!

G-P

Ric
01-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Well, Congratulations. Something to be proud of. I am thinking of pre-retirement soon in Florida, and maybe taking it down there. I live there, now, in the winters. I should start investigating it pretty soon and see what it involves. Again, Congratulations...JIM.

Jim

You need to hook up with a Certified Operator in Florida Now. As an Out of State CPO you still must work under a Florida CPO for one year to apply to take the test. It may be another 6 months before you can take and get the results of the test after applying for it. BTW the Florida Test is the hardest in the nation. We have Bugs you never hear of up north. Cool season Turf is a walk in the park compared to warm season turf on Calcareous sand. No CEC so no holding power. Top Choice will not last 5 months here while it lasts 1.5 years in Georgia clay.

Now I am sure you can pass the test if you study the material but I would advise you to take a tutorial for the test so there are no surprises.

KathysLGC
01-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Congrats!!!!

Green-Pro
01-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks Playboy btw I grew up in a small town named Wilton here.

:)

Geoff

jajwrigh
01-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Today I passed the pesticide/herbicide test for the state of Iowa license, whew.... what a relief. Test was not that unbearably tough I just dislike the taking of them. Three year applicator license, one year business license. To not have to re-test (written anyway) I will need to go to extension office to view a video pertaining to the category I am certified for, ornamental and turf. Have to endure only this once a calender year, not to bad. I do have some friends that forget and then have to take the written what a pita that would be.

:cool2:

G-P

Congrats...now go get insured! Good luck this year!

Green-Pro
01-20-2005, 11:02 PM
jajwrigh Congrats...now go get insured! Good luck this year!

Thanks a bunch insurance is next on my list, long list of things to do. Starting this has really been enjoyable so far but some days trying to list/think of all there is yet to do I get to feeling like Willy Wonka in the freakin chocolate factory LOL.

Thanks again

-Geoff

KathysLGC
01-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Your welcome.
Did you have any experience in weeds/insects prior to the test?

Green-Pro
01-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Playboy Your welcome.
Did you have any experience in weeds/insects prior to the test?

Not the intensive exposure that a lot of full time guys on here have, mainly just for family, close friends(few) and at the church we attend. Since I'm only just starting this business I am trying to be realistic as to who/what my customer base will be, mostly residential to begin, which will be good in the sense that most will be smaller scale than commercial props. My yard is 2 acres, so needless to say this is a lot of my practice/test application in aspects of turf maintenance and hardscapes.

-Geoff

Garth
01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Llongyfarchiadau! (Congratulations in Welsh) Comhghairdeas (in Irish)-Garth

Green-Pro
01-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Garth Llongyfarchiadau! (Congratulations in Welsh) Comhghairdeas (in Irish)-Garth

Garth thanks good to see another good Welshman on this board!! The community we live in is of strong Welsh descent, in fact the old timers here remember when one room schools here were bilingual (spoke English and Welsh)

Welsh was often spoken in homes in the yesterdays.

Heres to ya!!

:waving:

-Geoff

Garth
01-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Actually I'm from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland and my Mum is Irish but I speak Scots and Irish gaelic, Cymri (Welsh), Latin, Italian, Spanish,and a little Japanese. My Dad taught us to speak English when we moved to the U.S because he said if you don't you'll be washing dishes your entire life. The reason my name is Garth instead of Gareth is because my dad's name is Garry (five letters) and so my little brother is Gregg. The girls in the family have four letters( Gail and Gwen) because my mum's name is Barb( short for Barbara) Keeping with the colour of things I named my son Cameron Angus Aldrich. Cameron (Scottish for broken nose which I have, Mum gave it to me!) Angus (Celtic god of love, laughter, and wisdom) and Aldrich ( old, wise king in Welsh). Have I bored you to tears yet?LOL