PDA

View Full Version : pompas grass

stimpy
01-19-2005, 10:37 PM
What do you charge to cut pompas grass. If they have more then one bush do you charge say 40$ for the first bush then 25$ for the 2nd and 3rd or is it a flat rate for all bushes. Thanks.

GrassMasterNC
01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Man, I hate that stuff - it'll cut the heck out of you if you're not careful! If it were me, I would estimate how long it'll take to do them and go with the $1.00 a minute theory - or maybe more since its a pain.

Matt

stimpy
01-20-2005, 06:15 PM
I know what you mean. I have two big clumps at my house. I used to cut it with a chainsaw, but last year I tied it up with twine and lit it on fire. Gone in 60 seconds. It was a rainy day. I dont think customers would go for that though.

TClawn
01-20-2005, 06:29 PM
what is pompass grass????

QualityLawnCare4u
01-20-2005, 06:56 PM
I done one for a lady last summer for 10 bucks and it took me an hour, it was a big one. The reason I done it so cheap was her low fixed income but it will be my last one, I should have charged her at least 35. That stuff is like a dull razor blade.

stimpy
01-20-2005, 09:36 PM
TClawn It looks like dune grass but it gets 4 to 8 feet tall. green inthe summer it dies in the fall and turns tan. People plant at the end of their driveways most of the time. Its a round clump 3 to 10 feet around looks real nice. sometimes it has a furry looking head on top like a tan dust mop.

CNE
01-20-2005, 10:24 PM
hedge trimmers work great on them.

J&R
01-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Here's a trick Take a belt wrap it around the grass Take hedge trimmers cut no mess to clean up do one in 2 min.

T Edwards
01-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Here's a good look at Pampas Grass

http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_16426

Garth
01-26-2005, 06:53 PM
what is pompass grass????
Cortaderia selloana is a grass native to Argentina and very invasive under the right conditions. There are several varieties the most popular are the white and the pink. Leaf blades are VERY sharp and can open unprotected flesh like a razor. It can grow up to ten feet tall and the flowering tops are characterized by large feathery plumes.( I am a botanist and I love ornamental grasses)-Garth
P.S It is spelled Pampas Grass.

beransfixitinc
01-26-2005, 09:19 PM
We have 4 rather large ones in our front yard... think we planted them way too close together, whenever it was we did plant them.. you can't get in between them. Actually, once mature, planted that close together, and forming a baricade, they'd probably make a pretty good security screen.. would hate to see the burglar that tries to escape by running through them...

The part I don't like is the seed shedding in the summer, the "dusting" coming towards the house drives me crazy because it gets into everywhere. I don't mind it when the north wind blows though.. because then they go to the neighbors.

YardPro
01-27-2005, 07:53 AM
hedge trimmers work great on them.

hedge trimmers are the only way to go.

we have cut 3000 pampas grass/ year for 20 years (the company has)

forget the chain saw, etc. good hedge trimmers are the ticket.

as far as billing. we charge a $35.00 minimum trip charge, but generally bill them at $25-$50.00 per pampas, depending on the size.

we only cut mabey 100 or so for residentails. our commercial properties are the ones with 600-800 per property.

we do not have to hual off ( they provide a 40 yard construction dumpster). so we get about $2K/ property. works out to $5-$10.00/pampas.

Two guys can cut 200/day.

beransfixitinc
01-27-2005, 09:36 AM
And while we're talking about using hedge trimmers... I'm pretty sure if you have a large quantity of them to do, you'd be better off purchasing (or having) an articulating hedge trimmer (like Shindaiwa's AH2510 or AH231) that mounts to the end of a trimmer like shaft so that you don't have to get up close and personal to the "bushes". Should limit the number of accidental cuts and scrapes from the razor leaves.

I mentioned the Shindaiwa brand which adjusts to 10 different positions through a range of 150º, because I'm not sure, but I thought from reading the Stihl site that their's only adjusts in 90 degree positions, and not sure about the Redmax ones..

toddtt
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Good info, I have 2 residentials to go do early March, they have 3 in each yard, I already quoted $90.00 per yard, but the tough part is that I have to bag the stuff up and haul it away, that stuff is tuff to bag!

YardPro
02-20-2005, 09:14 PM
And while we're talking about using hedge trimmers... I'm pretty sure if you have a large quantity of them to do, you'd be better off purchasing (or having) an articulating hedge trimmer (like Shindaiwa's AH2510 or AH231) that mounts to the end of a trimmer like shaft so that you don't have to get up close and personal to the "bushes". Should limit the number of accidental cuts and scrapes from the razor leaves.

I mentioned the Shindaiwa brand which adjusts to 10 different positions through a range of 150º, because I'm not sure, but I thought from reading the Stihl site that their's only adjusts in 90 degree positions, and not sure about the Redmax ones..

here we have to have them cut before mid april or the ends of the blades look square all summer. they don't have that nice tapered look.

we cut our 3K starting in janurary when it's cold, so we wear long sleves and jackets. gloves are a must. also the blades can "walk" up your pants leg or shirt slieve. we tape our shirt cuffs, and bottom of our pants to prevent this.

we have an artucilating trimmer, but the fastest way to do it is with a hand set. you want to make one pass, let the blade stop, then toss it out. this will avoid cutting the same blades more than once. the little pieces are the real pain to get out of the beds.

I have always wanted to try a vac truck leaf loader. we don't have anybody around here with one.

i wanted to have one guy running the hose, and the other guy cutting.

the cleanup is what takes us so long.
we had 3 guys cutting and it took us a month to cut and cleanup our 3K.
( with rain days, and a few other fill in jobs)

lawncare4u
02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Here's a trick Take a belt wrap it around the grass Take hedge trimmers cut no mess to clean up do one in 2 min.

Now that's a thought! :cool2:

toddtt
02-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Here is a dumb question maybe, are the hedge trimmers you guys are talking about electric or gas trimmers or the manual snipper type that you use both hands and squeeze together? Don't hit me to hard please on this one...

TScapes
02-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Todd,

The only way to go is gas. Power and speed is all you need! Electric or manual trimmers won't cut pampas grass, or atleast not like gas. As for J&R's idea of the belt....... I have a 38" waist, but my belt won't even begin to go around the grasses we cut! My guys use ropes with a loop already tied at one end and then cinch them up around the grass as you pull. Some of my guys use twine pre-cut in 6' lenghts with the loop on one end, that way they don't have to untie the grasses. They rope 'em, cut 'em and chuck 'em in the trucks. You end up carrying them like straw bales! This works on all ornamental grasses! As for Todd's question on pricing... I include in my original quote for the maintenance of the property. I consider this as a Winter Pruning, along with my liriope and crepes..... you only do it once per year so it just add it to your normal pruning costs and "BAM" there it is!

Tvov
02-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I have always wanted to try a vac truck leaf loader. we don't have anybody around here with one.

i wanted to have one guy running the hose, and the other guy cutting.
)

The vac loader won't work unless you chop up the grass into small, like 6", pieces. Even then, it is constant clogging. If the grass does get through the intake tube, you have to be careful it doesn't clog the impellor. That always sounds good and is great for the heart when the roaring vac stops suddenly! Yes, we've tried it. I don't think it is worth it.

We don't have a lot to cut down, we just charge it like any other brush clearing, and throw it in the back of the dump truck.

toddtt
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
That sounds like a great way to it with the 6' rope, that makes alot of sense, how much should I pay for a gas power trimmer? Approx?

Jason Rose
02-24-2005, 06:47 PM
I usaully do them for $5.00 each, if the lawn has them ranging in sizes from small around to large. If there are only the ones that are huge, like 5 feet in diameter then I'd charge more...

I found that gas powered hedge clippers work wonders for pampas grass, but there again for larger ones or ones that are in 100% full sun the stalks can get so numerous and large around that a chainsaw is the faster way to go! I use my craftsman saw for this, the crap clogs the saw chain and dulls it pretty quick, like cutting dirt...

A price for clippers, hummm, well mine are Tanaka, I think I got them for around $250 or less, not sure it was about 4 years ago... almost every brand makes hedge clippers so I guess it's just brand loyality from there. Oh don't forget, notice that the opening on the blade is usually large enough to cut about a 1" diameter limb. Now look at your fingers... Looks like little limbs to the hedge trimmers! I still have 10 didigts, but I came close to lopping off my pinkie last spring. I still can't figure out how I got my hand there either... It was my pinkie on my throttle hand! I did a quick hand change on the handle and used my right hand to move a branch and *slice* the blade hadn't stopped recriprocating yet... Big OOPS.

Sorry for the extra story there... Just had to add my adventures to clog the board!