PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards

Carolina Cutter
01-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Officemax has an online business card creator and you can get the Value Cards for about $8.99 a box with a two box minimum.

Good place to get cards.....good price!

Officemax Business Card Creator (http://www.copymax.xpressmyself.com/xp5/design.asp?column=2&h=1&s=1)

Carolina Cutter
01-19-2005, 11:44 PM
For some reason the link only half worked.

Click on Print@copymax tab at the top and then you can use it.

Carolina Cutter
01-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Here's an example of one I just made.....

Metro Lawn
01-20-2005, 12:53 AM
Cards look ok but a bit plain. I made these with VistaPrint using my logo and photos. 1000 cards were $22.00 Sorry, the scan sux, but you can get the idea of the card.

MudslinginFX4
01-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Watch the officemax cards! The first time I had mine done there I wasn't very happy at all. They used a very cheap computer like paper to print them on and the ink didn't look all that well. I left out of there without paying for them and went across the street to signsbytomorrow and had them done. Signsbytomorrow actually had better prices and did an awesome job for me! Watch officemax and make sure they do what you want, and don't try to cheat you.

PLM-1
01-20-2005, 01:39 AM
I just got mine done through Staples. 1000 for 29.99. I am very pleased. They shipped free UPS and had them in 4 days! I personally prefer more basic cards. I try not to dazzle with a b/c. IMO it doesn't matter if you spend $200 on cards or print them from your printer. It gets the contact your name and # that's all they're after.

Metro Lawn
01-20-2005, 07:28 AM
I personally prefer more basic cards. I try not to dazzle with a b/c. IMO it doesn't matter if you spend $200 on cards or print them from your printer.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. Your card reflects you and your business. People will think "crappy card = crappy work"

walker-talker
01-20-2005, 09:35 AM
You only get one chance to make a first impression. Your card reflects you and your business. People will think "crappy card = crappy work"
I agree 100% with this satement, but I don't think you need to spend a lot for a great looking card. I paid $86 for 1000.....way too much. It has my color logo on there with raised letter. The paper is textured also. On the design outpost you can have you card, letterhead and enveloped design for as little as $100...I will go this route next time.

Also, if you are starting out, I would only get 500 cards. As sure as sh!t as soon as you get them from the printers, you will want them changed. Different number, an added service (if you chose to have them printed on there)...what ever it might be. For me, I don't have hedgetrimming on there...or lawn rennovations....also soon after I got a website.

Grass Gator
01-20-2005, 09:58 AM
One idea for ads and business cards......use vendor logos. Contact your local vendor rep and see if they will pay for you cards / ads (co-op) in exchange for placing small logos on the cards. Two years ago I placed a small Lawn-Boy logo on the bottom left corner of my cards and LB paid the $49 for my 2500 cards!

This year, I did the same with John Deere. Have their official logo in a small area and they picked up the fee for the cards.

Of course, they will wnat proofs of the cards first before permission of the logo will be granted. A good relationship with the rep helps too.....sometimes they will not allow it.

BTW....make sure you are using their equipment if you have them on your cards (we have 3 21"WB by JD).

Carolina Cutter
01-20-2005, 10:13 AM

I cant say that I agree with your statement. Depends on what you would call a crappy card. I think a basic, plain type card is fine if you follow the KISS method (keep it simple stupid). I have always thought that keeping things clear, unclutered and easy to read was better than all the fancy do-dads.

PLM-1
01-20-2005, 12:51 PM
I cant say that I agree with your statement. Depends on what you would call a crappy card. I think a basic, plain type card is fine if you follow the KISS method (keep it simple stupid). I have always thought that keeping things clear, unclutered and easy to read was better than all the fancy do-dads.

Totally Agree! It's like when people look for an attorney in the yellow pages. The best attorneys, most of the time, are the ones with just their name and number. None have the big full page ad. Atleast that is they way it is in my town. My dad has a small county side job and knows alot of attorneys. By looking at their win/loss record he made this judgment.

Hamons
01-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Yes -- your card is a potential reflection of your business -- and there is NO reason not to make it full color and nice.

These cards cost me pennys a piece. Yet -- they stand out -- they are professional looking -- they are bold -- they tell the customer more than just my phone number and name -- they tell them that I am detail and quality oriented.

Simple -- does NOT mean Plain.

Metro Lawn
01-20-2005, 10:21 PM

Jeff, don't take this the wrong way. Your cards are fine. I look at it this way. We are not lawyers or doctors, they can get away with a plain white card with black print. People call us to improve their home ect. They want to see style, color, ect. They see a drab card and picture a drab yard. You must be creative and show some flare. The things that turn me off about your cards ( logo is old and outdated, your email and web address are way too long - you can get a domain name for like $5 a year.. something simple and catchy ) just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Carolina Cutter
01-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Jeff, don't take this the wrong way. Your cards are fine. I look at it this way. We are not lawyers or doctors, they can get away with a plain white card with black print. People call us to improve their home ect. They want to see style, color, ect. They see a drab card and picture a drab yard. You must be creative and show some flare. The things that turn me off about your cards ( logo is old and outdated, your email and web address are way too long - you can get a domain name for like $5 a year.. something simple and catchy ) just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Well that's not actually my card. I made that after finding the officemax offer and posted it for others to see that they can get a more professional look than writing their name on a scrap of paper....LOL

I will try and post a pic of my card...

See my card matches my logo by my name....

Lawnchoice
01-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Merlin,

You have been a marketing machine this winter! Using your time wisely.

For the short money, IMO, I would get a better card. I think 48hourprint.com can print you some in full color for around 75.00 a thousand.

walker-talker
01-20-2005, 10:34 PM
logo is old and outdated, your email and web address are way too long - you can get a domain name for like $5 a year.. something simple and catchy ) just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.I would also not put the little clipart on your business card. I would also agree with the website. I think for less than $100 I got mine for a length of 4 years...name and hosting. It's set idle for the last two years...one of those projects. I have something in the works now. I have not published it much, but will all the flyers going out here in the next couple month, I definetely need to do somthing. Last year I had a couple say "I went to your website, but there was nothing there."

Smithers
01-20-2005, 11:08 PM
do you guys have your services listed on the back of your cards?

also, where do you print your tear-off contracts? I called vista print and they dont do them.

Lux Lawn
01-20-2005, 11:10 PM
I just had new cards made from vistaprint and they put a list of services on the back.

T Edwards
01-21-2005, 01:04 AM
These were $49 for 500 thru vistaprint.com

Unless you need them in a hurry just ship them standard. Mine arrived in less than 2 weeks.

Team Gopher
01-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi petrentz,

do you guys have your services listed on the back of your cards?
Did you ever see FLC Dave's cards?

http://server2.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31676

Carolina Cutter
01-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Merlin,

You have been a marketing machine this winter! Using your time wisely.

For the short money, IMO, I would get a better card. I think 48hourprint.com can print you some in full color for around 75.00 a thousand.

Tried to tell you guys that I am going at it full bore this year. Not been as dedicated since I started it but would like to get my life headed in the right direction and lawn care seems to be my vehicle for doing just that. Let me know if you have any questions.....I might have already found the answer.

Oh, by the way....got the trailer lettered today. Left the sign shop and noticed people loking at me at every stoplight. Don't know if I am funny looking, they were wondering what a lawn care guy was doing with a trailer out this time of year, or if the trailer just drew that much attention! Anyway, turned out real good and I am sure it will help to draw attention to the business.

Lawnchoice
01-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Good for you man.

Take some pics of the completed trailer when you get a chance!

Hamons
01-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Hello Metro,

Thanks for the input on my logo and address. Although I will disagree with your feeling on my logo being outdated -- I understand what you are saying -- when I had it designed I went for something that illicited all the things I said I wantedmy company to stand for.

To ensure that this was what people saw in my logo, I did some Market reseach. I interviewd 750 people and asked them certain things about a selection of logos. There was this logo - one that just had my name written in a nice font, one that was more contemporary with a cool grass character -- kind of like SOupy's --- and one that had my name and a leaf of sorts. This one was by far the one that peopele liked and evoked a sense of trust and quality.

Now, granted, the younger participants chose the cartoon character more often. But my target customer is 35 -55 and this was what my research showed was their choice.

Now, 750 people is not a lot -- but it made me comfortable that the logo I chose was one that would help my companies image.

I agree with you on the e-mail address. although not about the length. 12 characters in my e-mail addy is shorter than your 15. :) I have been reluctant to add another facet such as the website to my business --- but this is something I should look into. It would be a bonus to my business

walker-talker
01-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Hello Metro,

Thanks for the input on my logo and address. Although I will disagree with your feeling on my logo being outdated -- I understand what you are saying -- when I had it designed I went for something that illicited all the things I said I wantedmy company to stand for.

To ensure that this was what people saw in my logo, I did some Market reseach. I interviewd 750 people and asked them certain things about a selection of logos. There was this logo - one that just had my name written in a nice font, one that was more contemporary with a cool grass character -- kind of like SOupy's --- and one that had my name and a leaf of sorts. This one was by far the one that peopele liked and evoked a sense of trust and quality.

Now, granted, the younger participants chose the cartoon character more often. But my target customer is 35 -55 and this was what my research showed was their choice.

Now, 750 people is not a lot -- but it made me comfortable that the logo I chose was one that would help my companies image.

I agree with you on the e-mail address. although not about the length. 12 characters in my e-mail addy is shorter than your 15. :) I have been reluctant to add another facet such as the website to my business --- but this is something I should look into. It would be a bonus to my businessI think Metro was talking about Jeff Prevette's card...and the logo in question is the clip art with the guy mowing. Also, he was referring to his web address not being a true .com website and being a sponsored site, zoomshare.com rather than just plain .com At least when I made my statement backing up his statement, this is what I thought he was referring to.

Hamons
01-21-2005, 08:30 PM
OOPs -- I think you are right! I guess I'm pretty egocentric -- I guess I assume everyone is talking to me:)

Anyways, thanks MEtro -- lit a fire under my ass about the whole website thing :)

ProSvcs
01-21-2005, 10:04 PM
These were $49 for 500 thru vistaprint.com

Unless you need them in a hurry just ship them standard. Mine arrived in less than 2 weeks.

I just recieved mine today... Ordered the same card

Smithers
01-21-2005, 11:26 PM
that was pretty funny.....

hamons, i think you are doing a great job and are taking your business very seriously, like walker and merlin and a few other guys. i dont know many people that will go thru the trouble to interview 750 people. hell, if i could talk to that many people, i'd not ask them about my logo...i'd ask them if they want their lawns cut. hehe

j fisher
01-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Merlin,
I run 5 days a week, 12 months a year. You must funny looking, or your trailers already working for you. And, I agree with you, Simple and to the point. Here's my card. Simple and to the point.

j fisher
01-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Oops, I messed up the attachment, Her's my card

j fisher
01-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Sh%t! One more time. Here's my CARD!

ronald456
09-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Hello,

I don't have a lawn service but I saw you were talking about business cards.
I found a FREE Business Card Creator (http://bizcardcreator.com) site were you can create and print your own cards online.
You can use your own photo or logo, background, colors and fonts.
http://bizcardcreator.com
I just thought maybe someone here could use it.
It would be great if you wanted to quickly print up some cards for a job.*trucewhiteflag* :clapping:

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
09-07-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know what your thoughts are on this, but i went ahead and purchased some plastic cards this year. You would not believe the feed back that i get from customers when i hand it to them. the first thing out their mouth normally is, "this is like a credit card" You only get one chance to make a first impression and you want yourself to stand out from everyone else, this is the way to do it. I am working on my second batch now and have another forum going with previews on them. Some will say that they would not spend $250 on 500 cards, but I have done it and will continue to do it. The other great thing about these cards is that I can carry them around in my pocket all day and they don't get wrinkled and nasty looking. It is great when you are out working all sweaty and nasty and you can pull out a pristine card and give it to the customer. it normally blows them away.

lsylvain
09-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Don't waist your time on trying to make your own cards. No matter how hard you try they will always look crappy. Cards have gotten so cheap you can get about 1000 made for about $50.00. Just search google for business cards.

Lawnaholic
09-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I guess vistaprint is getting quite a bit of usage on this particular template. I also use this template for my business cards. LOL

Rob Spread & Spray
09-20-2006, 10:49 PM
http://www.logoworks.com/