PDA

View Full Version : Adding service

clc2003
01-20-2005, 12:44 AM
I have been asked by a customer to apply pest./fert. I thought about getting into this as I am trying to get more business so I can go full time. I am only considering doing dry granular for now so I don't have to buy sprayers. I was told I need a applicators license, but what else might I need. any help would be greatly apprieciated. :waving: :help:

kickin sum grass
01-20-2005, 06:46 AM
insurance for doing it and an education in turf management if you don't already have it.

MOW ED
01-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Please don't go anywhere else than to the second post at the top of this column. Jim has referenced ALL the info that you need. Check it out as it will answer all your questions and then some.Or just click this;
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61624

PTP
01-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I have been asked by a customer to apply pest./fert. I thought about getting into this as I am trying to get more business so I can go full time. I am only considering doing dry granular for now so I don't have to buy sprayers. I was told I need a applicators license, but what else might I need. any help would be greatly apprieciated. :waving: :help:
Sometimes the best way to make a full time income is to expand the service that you already do. I assume that you do just mowing right now.

Let's just say that it would cost you a total of $3000 to get in to the app. side of things. Is this the best use of your money? What if you took that $3000 and put it into advertising for your current services? Do you think that the end result would be that you would have more or less income as compared to doing the apps?

You already have the equipment and the expertise to do what you already do. If that is profitable, you might be farther ahead by concentrating your services on what you do well rather than to offer more services.

Just a thought.

CuttingCrew
01-20-2005, 02:16 PM
PTP,

That might be the best piece of advice Iíve heard all year. Iíve been studying for the Ohio applicators license, rewriting my business plan and figuring equipment and additional insurance cost for the last couple of months and now you have given me something else to think about. :dizzy:

It will cost me about $1500 just to get a granular program started. $1500 in the right advertising could really do a lot for the bottom line of my mowing business this summer.

On the other hand, fert has a higher profit margin with increased mowing potential as well as making my customers lawns look even better which equals more word of mouth and more business.

Maybe scratch up $1500 more and do both? :laugh:

Great response, Thanks!

jajwrigh
01-20-2005, 08:52 PM
SPO backpack sprayer for spot spraying....$110

Motown
01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
CLC,

If you're not buying spray equipment because of price then maybe I can help. E-mail me...I have a great deal for you.

Motown