PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise in the front

jreiff
01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a Ford 1999 f-250 light duty truck. Just lately i have been hearing this clunking noise when you hit a decent size bump. The sound is coming from the front. Like the front axle, on both sides. Anyone know what this could be or what is wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Grassmechanic
01-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Ford used plastic ball joints, they could be shot.

R&J Lawn
01-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Could be the radius arm bushings!

jreiff
01-20-2005, 09:30 PM
What would be the best way to go about looking into it? Would it be easy for a guy to check it out, or would it be smarter to take it in and have it looked at?

Guthrie&Co
01-20-2005, 10:19 PM
i would take it in but i would also take a look under the truck to make sure it wasnt something obvious. it would be worth it to me to take it in. they would know just what to do. saving you the time and money on parts i thought might fix it.plus if it keeps doing it its on them. not you.

PTP
01-21-2005, 09:56 AM
What would be the best way to go about looking into it? Would it be easy for a guy to check it out, or would it be smarter to take it in and have it looked at?
Since you have to ask, have someone else look for you. But it doesn' hurt to kind of get familiar with this sort of thing.

To check the ball joints, you will need to jack up the tire. You need to place the jack under the front control arm close to the ball joint. When you jack it up there, it takes all of the pressure off of the ball joint. You then go to the tire and see if you can move it - one hand at 12 and one hand at 6. You could also put a bar under the tire and raise it up and down. While you are doing this, have someone else look for play in the ball joints or in any of the joints for that matter. Make sure that your jack is secure - you don't want a truck falling on your head.

It could also be worn out bushings on your shocks.

Here is a better idea. Take it to your mechanic and watch him as he checks it out. This will give you a good idea of how this is done.

Albemarle Lawn
01-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Sell that thing at auction.

a good place is

HTTP://www.ebay.com

Get a Chevrolet, problem solved. If you need pain in your life as part of your daily regimen, get a Dodge.

:gunsfirinFORDs with plastic ball joints.

Scag48
01-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Or he could just fix the ball joints, whatever.

Seems to me that all trucks breakdown, that's inevitable at some point. I can't believe how brand loyal some people are. We have both Chevy's and Fords, both are great trucks.

My advice, fix your Ford and drive it. 99 F-250 is a great truck.

D Felix
01-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Everyone so far has said ball joints...

I'll ask the obvious: Is it a 4x4? If so, make sure both hubs are unlocked.

If the hubs are locked, most of the time I hear the noise is while turning. I suppose it could possibly make the same or similiar noise if you hit a bump....

If it's not 4x4, then it may be the ball joints.:)

Dan

jreiff
01-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Yeah it is a 4x4, but you don't have to lock the hubs in. Just the contril level in the cab.

I think i will just end up taking it in. Might be the easiest way to get the problem solved. I hope. Thanks for all the help.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Probably Sway Bar End Links, Or Bushings-least Critical, And Usually The Loudist!