PDA

View Full Version : car accident damage insurance job?

Stringblade
01-20-2005, 07:31 PM
A car slid off the road and took out a fence about 20ft long, took out a crab apple tree 3 privet shrubs and a couple other things. i got the call to bid the job for replacement of everything, the drivers auto insurance is going to pay it. has any one ever bid one of these jobs before? the home owner is telling me to bid it extremly high. do you think thats a good idea or do you think they will get other bids? thanks for reading this i have two days to get the bid in. any opinions would help.

MudslinginFX4
01-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I think I would bit it about the same that I would bid any other job. Make sure you don't underbid though! Go with good size trees that will make you a nice profit, but don't make the bid so high that the insurance company wonders too much.

procut
01-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I agree with ECM Lawn, bid about how you usually would or maybe a little higher. You don't want the insurance company getting suspicious. Good Luck!

grass-scapes
01-20-2005, 08:02 PM
A car slid off the road and took out a fence about 20ft long, took out a crab apple tree 3 privet shrubs and a couple other things. i got the call to bid the job for replacement of everything, the drivers auto insurance is going to pay it. has any one ever bid one of these jobs before? the home owner is telling me to bid it extremly high. do you think thats a good idea or do you think they will get other bids? thanks for reading this i have two days to get the bid in. any opinions would help.

Thats whats wrong with people. They see an opportunity to make money for nothing and take insurance companies for what they can. Im not speaking of the LCO, IM speaking of the homeowner. Bid it as high as you can? How can that be right. I would bid it like any other, and then let the insurance company know, after you get paid, what the homeowner said. I had the same situation. I was in a car wreck, my fault. The other driver was fine at the scene, but wouldn't you know... they had all kinds of bills. Found out they took the motor out of the vehicle that was totaled and put in a moter that was blown. Then they got lots of money for the vehicle. They essentially ripped me off, because I pay the premiums, which are much higher now. LOL.

plateau lawn care
01-20-2005, 08:05 PM
The guy will probably turn the highest bid into the insurance co and hope they take it and the ins. co. will probably just write he a check and he never fixes the lawn and its money in the pocket

draftlawncare
01-20-2005, 08:11 PM
The guy will probably turn the highest bid into the insurance co and hope they take it and the ins. co. will probably just write he a check and he never fixes the lawn and its money in the pocket
thats why i no longer give estimates for Insurance claims i did my first year now i dont waste my time with them

grass-scapes
01-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Ive given quotes for insurance damage before. found out the homeowner submitted the high bid to the insurance, and got the low bidder to do the work. in another case, the homeowner tried to do the work himself....asked me to give a high bid. I don't do insurance bids anymore either. they never land me work so why waste my time.

Branchland
01-21-2005, 06:02 AM
I love insurance jobs. Always charge a litle extra. But some homeowners will try to do it themselves to save some money.

turf hokie
01-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Don't waste your time.

I have done insurance bids plenty in the past. The only ones I get are from existing customers, and even those I only get 1/2 the time.

The guy wants a high bid so he can profit. He will either get a low bid after he gets his check or he will do it himself or even better you will drive by in a year and the work was never done. All of these are real scenarios.

geogunn
01-21-2005, 08:30 AM
string--call a fence company and get estimate on repair. pad your profit on top of that, say 30%.

you should be able to figure the landscaping.

don't worry about homeowner saying to bid high.

just give him a bid that will make you happy if he says do the work.

GEO :)

PMLAWN
01-21-2005, 08:44 AM
It is your call as to doing the bid or not but if you do I would be honest and keep in line with what you always do. Your name will be better as the guy that does honest work and bidding, than the one who is good to call when you want to scam someone.

Westbrooklawn
01-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Insurance Bids -

Charge Customer $40 (or whatever you feel your cost is) for the bid, and tell them it will be deducted from the bill if they choose to have you do the work. If that isn't acceptable to them then don't waste your time........they obviously have no intention of giving you the work.

lawnwizards
01-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Insurance Bids -

Charge Customer $40 (or whatever you feel your cost is) for the bid, and tell them it will be deducted from the bill if they choose to have you do the work. If that isn't acceptable to them then don't waste your time........they obviously have no intention of giving you the work.
i like that. chances are youre not going to get the work. might as well get some money for your time... great post westbrooklawn. :)

bobbygedd
01-21-2005, 10:24 AM
charge them tripple.....get some of your money back

sildoc
01-21-2005, 11:49 AM

That is why we submit directly to the insurance company and not to the owner. We then let the owner know if we were selected or not before we start.

Grassmechanic
01-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Had one of these a few years back. The car owner's ins. co. adjuster came out and surveyed the damage. A few days later he sent the property owner a check for the damages. The check was over double of what I would have bid it.

impactlandscaping
01-21-2005, 06:33 PM

Exactly why I don't mess with Insurance claims anymore ..I did do one for an acquaintance last fall, and we did bid against two other LCOs and won the job. It was the first insurance estimate I had done in four years that actually had the work performed for the quoted damages.

Madstriper
04-10-2006, 05:37 AM
He will get the money from the insurance company, he just wants high bids to get more money. He probably either has some one already lined up to do it, or is planning on doing it himself, and pocket the difference.
I think you are wasting your time, unless he is a regular customer.

Landscape25
04-10-2006, 11:31 AM
If he is dishonest with the insurance company, chances are he is being or will be dishonest with you.

dkeisala
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Insurance Bids -

This is the best idea I've read. Charge for the consultation and bid as you would any other job.

Liquidfast
04-10-2006, 03:36 PM

BINGO....I used to get excited with insurance company estimates. Now, I won't even give them a call back. SOOOOOOo many homeowners want high bids, take the money and run. You called it.

1MajorTom
04-10-2006, 04:43 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking will happen, hard to say, but that's what my initial thought is.

steve in Pa.
04-10-2006, 09:27 PM
start charging for ins. estimates. if they go with us we take it off the invoice for the job.:rolleyes: lol