PDA

View Full Version : water test kit

crownls
01-21-2005, 09:08 AM
i have been contacted by a local water testing laboratory and they sell a well water purification kit and an analysis strip. They are trying to market this product to LCO's and Plumbers. I was thinking of offering this as a service. they are approved by the EPA thought this might be a way to make a few extra $$. Any thoughts or is anyone else interested in this opportunity? i can put you in touch with the lab.

crownls
01-24-2005, 09:18 AM
any thoughts on this? does anyone think customers would pay to have their well water tested and disinfected. I think it's a great little add on service. EPA recommends wells get disinfected once per year.

aquamtic
01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I operate just south of you in RI. Sound slike a good idea but what does it entitle. DO we need to have sometype of certification. We also service MA so its worth looking into. Im always looking for new add on

EMail if you want with what you find out.
pgsystems@cox.net

aquamtic
01-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Who is the tesing company??

crownls
01-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Aquamtic: there is no license needed, like i said EPA recommends you clean your private drinking well with this product once per year. they sell the kit for 60.00 which includes the cleaning agent (you add half the bottle) in 2 weeks you test the clients water with a sample vial thats inlcuded with the package, send it back to the lab (postage envelope paid) and in about a weeks time you'll have the results. If water is clean your all set for 1 year until you need to do it again. If there is a serious problem such as petrolium, or other hazardous materials they notify you immediately with a way to correct the problem. So far this product is not for sale yet, however they plan to start selling mass market by next year. I was thinking LCO's may be able to sell the service of adding solution to customers well, + lab test for about 100.00. It takes all of 5 minutes. What do you think here? would clients pay for this service?

Rotor-Man
01-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Private wells in my area can be tested by the local county agency. Cost is $5 and sends you the results for arsenic, etc. within a week. Are you willing to stand liable for what you are pouring down a well to cure a problem such as arsenic, not ME!

jerryrwm
01-28-2005, 12:28 PM
You might check with your local, county and state agencies before you go pouring something down a well.

Contamination of any type of water supply is serious business.

And just because the Company that is selling the kit says you don't need a license, doesn't make it so. They are in the business of selling kits not purifying the water.

Check with the Water Well Driller's Association in your state and find out what the laws are regarding introducing anything into a well. The laws in many states are pretty damn stringent with stiff fines for violations.

Just a heads up.

Jerry

crownls
01-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I was skeptical at first, however the ingredient that is in this product is a mild chlorine solution. Do you realise the only way to disinfect a well now is to either pour bleach or pool shock down your well. This is what the local board of health recommends and the EPA. There are no regulations, however if this turns out to be a good thing the red tape will surely fly. I have never seen a well water test for under 60.00. What are they testing for? Also who is pouring arsenic down a well? check out there website www.etrlabs.com

kerdog
01-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey crownls----

All water has levels of 'contaminents'. It all has bacteria, arsenic, lead, radon etc. The level of those contaminents must be controlled. Arsenic and radon is in the ground, lead can come from soldered joints in copper pipe. Yes, water is chlorinated to reduce the level of bacterium.

There are all kinds of people wanting to 'test' my drinking water. And when they do, they tell me that my water is 'contaminated'. Everybody's water is. Most people don't think about their water in that way, and it 'scares' them. Guess what they are selling?----yep, water filters.

Ever heard that saying, "don't drink the water" , when traveling, like out of the country? It's because your immune system is accustomed to the bacteria that is in your water at home. You have built up an immunity to it. Travel out of state or country, you are exposed to different bacteria, which your body is not used to. Voila, upset stomach, the runs, etc. Some are more suceptible than others, to different bacteria.

Anyway--what if you test someone's water and the test shows some levels of contamination? Where does that leave you, as far as remedying the situation?

Critical Care
01-29-2005, 04:37 PM
Crownls, this may not be a bad business deal for you, but who knows what response you would get. My concerns would be in the value or completeness of the information received from the lab.

Another thought I was having was that I'd think that most people would have their wells checked initially right after installation, and this could be something that the people who dug the well would be on top of. They could be the ones with their foot in the door, not you.

But... on the other hand, maybe if things worked out for you, these other companies may only be into digging wells and installing pumps, or better yet, they'd give you the business of testing their wells.

nocutting
04-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi, what kind of liability insurance do you carry?....Completed operations?...I'm thinking I wouldnt even consider this if I didnt have at least 1,000,000.00 of insurance and I'b have to have a disclaimer stateing i'm just disenfecting not removeing arsnic as someone else thought you were goin to do?.....It doesnt seem worth it to me, why not mark up the "Fancy Kit ",by $25-40 bucks and let your customers do it themselves?...Offer it in a news letter, maybe you'll get alot of takers and then get a quantity discount fron the distrubuter....."Good Luck"-Saxon :angel: