PDA

View Full Version : organics and money

northmichigan
01-21-2005, 06:38 PM
i've been in the landscape constrution biz for the last 19 years before that i had a lco. now doing installs i've had customers question me on care of plants and lawns. when i suggest a course of action for the homeowner i try to make it as safe as possible.when i suggest an organic fert for perrenial gardens and shrubs the customers really seem to respond to the idea of using organics. i always suggest using bagged products that have the npk listed on them. it maybe a romantic notion that these old time products are safer for their families but the people respond to the idea. i try to give the customer a little extra knowledge and show interest in their yards. this pays off in many return customers that i say have 'approved credit'.
mj

Dchall_San_Antonio
01-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Good job. It's just that simple in the upscale neighborhoods.

I just heard my local organic radio guru quoting a study (from where he didn't say) that said 60% of the public believes organic produce is better for them than chemically fertilized produce. Still only 1% of the produce sold is organic. Personally between the high price and the crappy appearance of organic produce, I think I speak for many when I say, NO SH!T, SHERLOCK! Organic produce looks awful at the market and I don't know why. And the price!!! HELLO! So I think there is a potential market out there if you can find a legal way to do the job.

In some states I think you can apply soil amendments (not fertilizers) without having to have NPK labels. If that's true in your state, then applying corn meal or alfalfa is a slam dunk.

muddstopper
01-31-2005, 05:54 PM
And some states dont require a license for fertilizer either. That is changeing as more states have started restricting phosphorous use.