PDA

View Full Version : Getting Customers

hamptonlawn
01-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Hello all,

My friend and I have had a real small landscaping business the past few years while we were in school. We currently have about 25 customers. But now that we graduated, we want to expand the business and really get it going.

I have flyers all set to print out and then him and I are going to hit the streets and start passing them out and putting them up in stores.

My question to you is if you have any tips or pointers on ways to acquire new customers. Things to do.not to do or things to say/not to say on the flyers. I need to double the amount of customers we have before I even think about going ahead with this and buying new equipment. Everything hinges on me being able to get these customers, there is a lot of other stuff that needs to be done such as hiring an accountant and a payroll service, not to mention buying and upgrading equipment, which is why I want to know if I can gte the customers now so if I do, I have time to take care of all that other stuff.

THanks for any help you can give me

Brian

TClawn
01-22-2005, 01:05 PM
use the SEARCH feature at the top of the page!

hamptonlawn
01-22-2005, 01:29 PM
anyone willing to actually help me instead of taking the easy way out?

Smitty58
01-22-2005, 01:46 PM
First, always do your best work. Nothing gets more customers than your reputation. If you deliver a quality product at a reasonable price the work will come. Look at Walmart, good products with a good price.
Second, always look professional. You don't have to spend a fortune ,just dress the part like matching t-shirts with your name. DO NOT go shitless again reputation.
Third, don't be afraid to spend a little for quality advertising. A small ad in a local paper will do better than some cheap made flyers. Now if you can make or have made some professional looking flyers then do that. Go door to door ,but don't stick them in mailboxes.
Fourth, not every partnership fails like some here would have you believe. it takes work ,but it can be done.
Fifth, make yourself look as professional as possible. You will get work because of it.
Sixth, read, read, read. A lot of good info on this site.
Hope this helps,

Mclaughld
01-23-2005, 12:25 AM
dress the part like matching t-shirts with your name. DO NOT go shitless again

When i first read this, i thought it said DO NOT go shirtless again. It was alot funnier that way.

TClawn
01-24-2005, 08:14 PM
anyone willing to actually help me instead of taking the easy way out?
I was not taking the easy way out. I was trying to help you. this topic has been discussed SO many times that there is a large data base from which you can pull your 0wn answers. btw, did you do the search?

HOOLIE
01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
hampton- It's a lot easier to critique an existing flyer than it is to tell you what will or won't work. I would suggest designing a "prototype" flyer first. You can post it on here an we can take a look at it and give you suggestions.

klink34
01-25-2005, 11:49 AM
another huge thing about door to door is try to talk to the person. If you have a one to one talk with a person you are more likely to get it rather than just placing a flyer in their door. rememeber you flyer isn't the only one they are going to see. Out of sight out of mind

Team Gopher
01-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi Hamptonlawn,

things to say/not to say on the flyers.

If you are looking for ideas, review this post (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=942).

twins_lawn_care
01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
A good book to read as well is the E-Myth. It has a lot of good information on better ways to think about running a business. It is not specific to the lawn business, but very insightful. I honestly have not read a book for 10 years, and reading this one opened my eyes to how powerful they are, and I am sure I will read more now.

another good suggestion is to make a plan. write it down, and solidify it. make some goals, 3 month, 1 year, 5 year. then work towards those goals. it helps to see them on paper, even if you end up revising them as you go, they are there as a reminder of what you are working for.

and definitely do good work. every house you pull away from is evidence of the work you do, so always leave it looking its best.

read up on this site. anything you possibly think of has probably been asked here, and there is probably a lot of great responses to them. take time to research the best way to make your business successful. you can save hundreds and thousands of dollars by simply being patient, doing research, and making a well educated business decision, rather than jumping into something in pure excitement.

good luck with the biz, and feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I am on the small side of the LCO's on here, but always willing to help as others have helped me.