PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Budget for 2005

tinman
01-22-2005, 09:11 PM
I know everyone's situation is different. Just want to see the total amount on all forms of advertising.

MudslinginFX4
01-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I am currently looking into new forms of advertising this year. I am trying to set up enough new accounts for another crew starting in March and I am really pushing full maint. accounts this year so I can better lay out my schedule. Along with signing up new accounts I am also going to be advertising for the delivery of mulch and pinestraw this year, even if the customer doesn't want it put out (with a minimum # of bales or yards of course). For advertising I am going to hit about a 15 mile radius from the shop with flyers about 3 different times, and prob. also put an add in the paper for a couple of months. Along with they flyers I have got to have some new shirts made up, a sign on the new trailer, lettering on the dumptruck, and some other little things done. I am not going to do a yellow pages add this year. With all that done I am looking in the neighborhood of $7000-$8000 dollars this year for advertising.

j fisher
01-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Between Yellow page ads in the two Phone books in my area, and Newspaper advertising, I'm looking at around $6000.00 in '05. This is for both Lawn Care, and Landscaping.

kdbetters
01-22-2005, 09:31 PM
I have about 35 residentials and looking to expand to 100 residentials by season end(just to give an idea of my size operation). Between the Yellow Pages, Flyers, Doorhangers(including ditribution), Business cards, discounts for referrals, signs and lettering for the truck it will be about $3000 dollars.

LLCO
01-22-2005, 11:18 PM
From what I have researched, the general rule of thumb in a non-startup environment is 3-5% of total projected sales. Startup phase is a totally different situation.

walker-talker
01-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Orginally set at $3500, but looks like I might be a bit over budget this year.

Woody82986
01-23-2005, 11:49 AM
With newspaper advertizing and new signs for the truck and trailer, I might spend around $1000 for the season.

Mowmoney00
01-23-2005, 04:55 PM
We've got 15,000 budgeted for '05. But we just changed the business name and we have a new advertising strategy.

1MajorTom
01-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Roughly around $1100.00 this year give or take a few hundred.
The majority of that will be spent on a one time ad plan specifically targetted straight to areas where we want to provide service.

TurfdudeNCSU
01-27-2005, 09:01 PM
We advertise with billboards, all trucks are lettered, yellowpages, site signs, and several local magazines in the area. We will spend about 15 to 20,000. Will most in billboards.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Total for the year around 10k about 3k of that will be yellow pages 1k of that is newspaper and the rest is our spring direct marketing campaign.

DiscoveryLawn
01-29-2005, 09:33 AM
$9500.00. but I am trying to come up with more. This number does not include discounts for referrals or comissions. $4500.00 of that is in a yellow pages ad. I am still working on where to invest the other 5k.

David

Tony Clifton
01-29-2005, 09:48 AM
From what I have heard 1% is average, but do what you feel you need to.
We will probably spend 20-25,000 this year. In years past has been less than 7,000.

Mueller Landscape Inc
01-29-2005, 10:40 AM
$15,000 here, no yellow pages.

kdbetters
01-29-2005, 11:48 AM
$15,000 here, no yellow pages.

How come many choose not to use the yellow pages? bad experience, is it not effective, bad target area, pita customers, please give me some insight as to why people are choosing to pull their yellow page ads. I've seen several posts lately about lco's choosing not to continue their yellow page ad. I am spending about $1400 for my ad in the book this year. Also when I am looking for a service (recently shirt makers, and printers), the first place I go to are the yellow pages. Is this not true with lco's?

PMLAWN
01-29-2005, 12:31 PM
8% This is the 2nd most important part of the business. (learning to sell is #1)
We have goals that we try to meet each year and we plan the budget with the goal in mind. If all goes as planned we should be at $40,000 by years end
This is all parts of business-Maintenance-Landscape-Lawn care-Irrigation. Always look at free or cheap ways to get our name out.
Flyers-newsletter-mailings-Real Estate network-Ads-sponsorship of things- these are the bulk of the budget.

PMLAWN
01-29-2005, 12:37 PM
How come many choose not to use the yellow pages? bad experience, is it not effective, bad target area, pita customers, please give me some insight as to why people are choosing to pull their yellow page ads. I am spending about $1400 for my ad in the book this year.

"is it not effective, bad target area, pita customers"
Yes to all this.
You say you spend $1400.00. What is your return. We chart every call and can decide what works from year to year. YP is too big an area and the calls were more just to find out if they were paying the right amount.
Also produced the lowest % of closed bids. Just to many shoppers.

tinman
01-29-2005, 12:42 PM
How come many choose not to use the yellow pages? bad experience, is it not effective, bad target area, pita customers, please give me some insight as to why people are choosing to pull their yellow page ads. I've seen several posts lately about lco's choosing not to continue their yellow page ad. I am spending about $1400 for my ad in the book this year. Also when I am looking for a service (recently shirt makers, and printers), the first place I go to are the yellow pages. Is this not true with lco's?

I think most people do not want calls coming in from outside their area of service. Wastes their time even taking the call. When you look for shirt makers & printers they do not care where you are , because you come to them. LCO must go to the clients property to perform the service. So they (smart ones) do not want to drive 40 miles out of their way 30 times a year to cut grass. My ad is in the yellow pages, but just because it was free with my pressure washing ad.

kdbetters
01-29-2005, 01:37 PM
You say you spend $1400.00. What is your return.

Well last year I paid $264 for my YP ad and it returned slightly over $2000 dollars. To be honest I did not track all the calls I got or the amount of time or gas I wasted on estimates. However, last years yellow page ad cost 13% of its revenue. Now the problem that lco's dont realize is, not every avenue of advertisement will cost you only 5% of its revenue, that does not mean it you should not do it. So if my numbers hold true for next year (thats all I can go by), my YP ad should bring in about $10,600.

Also if someone calls, the first question I ask is where are they located. If they are out of my service area, I will simply tell them and try to refer them to someone who can service them(very important, you should always have a reference or affiliate).

Rex Mann
01-29-2005, 08:34 PM
I'll spend just over 6,000 this year. No YP ad. Just high end local magazines and our web site. MY manufacture picks up 1/2 the cost of all my marketing and web site. So I really spend 12,000, but only have to kick in 6 with the other 6 coming from the manufacture.

Peace,

Rex

ArizonaPavers.Com (http://arizonapavers.com)