PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mailing Info and Source

coastallandscapesolutions
01-23-2005, 10:22 AM
FYI.... when we did direct mailings we had used several sources to do the mailings and to buy mail lists. Two years ago I cam e across a company called Zairmail. Their website is www.zairmail.com. They are really cost effective, have pre-made templates for our industry and are really cheap on the mail list purchase. I would encourage all to take a look at what they offer when shopping around and before doing a mail list.

An example is that I did a mailing to zip code 29575. I can narrow the list down to property owners, income over $40K, and have lived there more than a year. I got about 6,000 addresses. I sent out their post card with a simple greeting. Of the 6,000 that went out, about 20 came back as undeliverable. We got 722 calls, 501 estimates and 66 annual customers with an average annual billing of $2220.00. Best response we ever had.

Just tossing out some ideas to you all. It is very targeted marketing that worked well for me.

01-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Also, for those of you that are fighting fire ants, did you get registered with Bayer so you can take advantage of Top Choice Tools and be listed on www.nofireants.com? You can get a lot of FREE marketing support such as postcards, truck magnets, brochures, etc.

www.topchoicetools.com

Ric
01-23-2005, 01:04 PM
FYI.... Best response we ever had.

Just tossing out some ideas to you all. It is very targeted marketing that worked well for me.

CoastGreenscapes

What was the Cost per thousand of mailing??

A company in my town will send my post cards for $0.20 each including the $ 0.12 postage bulk rate. Therefore I pay $0.08 per my postcard addressed and mailed. 1st Class mail would cost $ 0.23 alone if I did them my self. Postcard prices depend on the volume I have printed, I have not priced them so far.

Now my local guy tells me they can target by property value, not income. They also recommend hitting the same homeowners repeatedly instead of one shot to many. Was this great response a one time mailing to these homeowners or several repeat mailing???

DLS1
01-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Hey CoastGreenscapes I have looked at the site only for a few minutes so how do you get to the pre made templates. Did you upload pictures to put on the postcard or did you make the postcards and does the site have pictures you can add to the postcard?

I will look around on the site but I thought I would take the lazy way first and just ask you. :D

01-23-2005, 03:37 PM
CoastGreenscapes

What was the Cost per thousand of mailing??

A company in my town will send my post cards for $0.20 each including the $ 0.12 postage bulk rate. Therefore I pay $0.08 per my postcard addressed and mailed. 1st Class mail would cost $ 0.23 alone if I did them my self. Postcard prices depend on the volume I have printed, I have not priced them so far.

Now my local guy tells me they can target by property value, not income. They also recommend hitting the same homeowners repeatedly instead of one shot to many. Was this great response a one time mailing to these homeowners or several repeat mailing???

It was a one time mailing with a postcard at a cost of $0.23 each.

01-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey CoastGreenscapes I have looked at the site only for a few minutes so how do you get to the pre made templates. Did you upload pictures to put on the postcard or did you make the postcards and does the site have pictures you can add to the postcard?

I will look around on the site but I thought I would take the lazy way first and just ask you. :D

Their template is online at the site.

Ric
01-23-2005, 04:18 PM
It was a one time mailing with a postcard at a cost of $0.23 each.

Coastal

At $ 0.23 total cost per card mailed, that is CHEAP. I am sure there were some Set Up charges also. You must have had Good COPY on the card to get that kind of a return.

Could you post a picture of the Postcard???

walker-talker
01-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Could you post a picture of the Postcard???Yea...I would like to see the postcard also. WOW....12% response rate....that's spectacular!!! 12% on my 30,000 flyers going out would be 3600 calls. I hope I don't have your luck...not this time. No way I could take that many calls. I would be pretty happy with 1/2% response rate.

01-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Walker,

A lot has to do with narrowing the market down that you are targeting. That is why Zairmail's list was so good. It also only cost me $70 bucks too.

i_plant_art
01-23-2005, 08:37 PM
i wish i could have that sort of response with direct mail i am about to do my first direct mail campaign this year. i have always done more indirect marketing such a newpaper adds and such. i have gone around and gotten specific neighborhood names and asked my realator to pull name and address info for me. i have been compilint it into a mailing database and hope to do my first mailing in february and then every month after that. im hoping for 1/2% response rate. i would be happy with that. i think if i got the 12% response rate that you did i would be pulling my hair out and be grey b4 i was 25!

gogetter
01-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Walker,
It also only cost me $70 bucks too.

You mean $70 for the mailing list, right?

01-24-2005, 12:13 AM
You mean $70 for the mailing list, right?

Yes. $70 bucks for just the list.

Ric
01-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Yes. $70 bucks for just the list.

Coast

Maybe you mis-understood me. The local company here provides the mailing list by house value and address the post cards. They also mail them by bulk rate, all for $0.20 each. I must pay for the post card printing separately.

Maybe I mis understanding But you bought the list and then stuck the address labels and then purchased stamps for $ 0.23 each. Is that Correct??

01-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Coast

Maybe you mis-understood me. The local company here provides the mailing list by house value and address the post cards. They also mail them by bulk rate, all for $0.20 each. I must pay for the post card printing separately.

Maybe I mis understanding But you bought the list and then stuck the address labels and then purchased stamps for $ 0.23 each. Is that Correct??

No. I bought the list and downloaded it for future mailings. Zairmail did everything else. I did not touch a postcard. They did everything. No bad for a full color postcard.

N.H.BOY
01-25-2005, 02:20 PM
COASTAL--------Again thank you,thank you and thank you. You have again gave us guys some more usefull info. I am going to check them out for mailing lists. I have been talking to 48hour print to print postcards.All I need is a mailing list. :waving:

j.kelley
01-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Coastal, where did you find a list for $70.00? How many names again?

01-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Coastal, where did you find a list for $70.00? How many names again?

2984 actual pieces went out. We edited the list down some.

Mark McC
01-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Stuff like this is why I love this website. Three cheers for Lawnsite and the men and women who frequent it. You guys are the best (in this case, "guy" is not gender-specific, okay Jodi?).

grassworks
02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Looks like they've more than doubled thier price now (.49 per post card) :angry: ..... lawnsite must have been too good to them.

KINGjosh
02-14-2005, 11:10 PM
No. I bought the list and downloaded it for future mailings. Zairmail did everything else. I did not touch a postcard. They did everything. No bad for a full color postcard.

were these double sided? Can they even mail a double sided out, or does it have to be blank on the address side?

tonygreek
02-14-2005, 11:44 PM
it need not be blank for it to be mailed. you can print content on both sides, but space needs saved for the postage and address info.

edit:
my bad. i think i answered your question in an earlier thread.

Carolina Cuts
02-14-2005, 11:46 PM
how did you get .23 cents per postcard...??? I was reading prices of .34 BXW and .49 color....

02-15-2005, 08:01 AM
how did you get .23 cents per postcard...??? I was reading prices of .34 BXW and .49 color....

Their prices have gone up since last year......

nlminc
02-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Coastal,

Why would you "buy" the list if they were doing everything for you? Just wondering. Do you plan on doing the next mailing yourself? Thanks for the link!

Carolina Cuts
02-15-2005, 09:06 AM

B@stards!!!! :dizzy: Just like the property values in Myrtle... ugh.

AintNoFun
02-19-2005, 12:40 PM
i'd love to see a copy of your postcard, if you can post it.....

02-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Coastal,

Why would you "buy" the list if they were doing everything for you? Just wondering. Do you plan on doing the next mailing yourself? Thanks for the link!

Yes, we wanted the list "just in case". We could also use it as a cross reference to see what areas the replies came from.

02-19-2005, 01:23 PM

B@stards!!!! :dizzy: Just like the property values in Myrtle... ugh.

You ain't kidding. They can't build houses down here fast enough.

Carolina Cuts
02-20-2005, 12:47 AM
I relocated from Jersey not too long ago... did alot of work at the Jersey shore. During the last 2-3 years, people are knockin' down 2,000,000.00 homes JUST FOR THE PROPERTY..... and then building $4,000,000.00 on them. It's crazy.... and since I've been down here, I'm starting to see the same things going on... prices are goin' through the roof.

AdamCByrd
02-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks CoastalGreenscapes...that looks like a real kick-start for any business...and is reasonably priced. I've stuffed envelopes myself before and I'll never do it again. I bookmarked the site. Good looking out.

Adam

Groundcover Solutions
02-21-2005, 02:16 AM
I tried looking under there business category but landscaping was not in there. I am looking for a place to purchase a list of local landscaping/maint. companies. this is a pretty tuff category to find.

02-21-2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.zairmail.com/templates/postcards/general/generalpostcards.asp

02-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Here is the postcard from Zairmail.

KINGjosh
02-21-2005, 02:17 PM
was that the back or something?

kandklandscape
02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
infousa

It is the BEST and #1 for updating records!

Brandon
www.kandklandscaping.com

dsaldivar
02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks Coastal for the link to zairmail. I've just finished up modifing one of their templates but wanted to get some feedback on what others think before I submit it. Thanks in advance to all of you that respond.

Danny

dsaldivar
02-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Please can anyone give me some feedback?
Thanks
Danny

02-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Please can anyone give me some feedback?
Thanks
Danny

Lose the "Many customer references" remark. If you want that in there then say "references available upon request". Personally I would plus a particular service that you do. Everyone would not expect you to give a bad reference therefore the point is moot. Looks good outside of that.

Also, don't give a "free service" away. You will get used. Do a 50% one time visit or a free visit with annual service agreement.

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2005, 02:55 AM
www.MelissaDATA.com is who I use .
They are all the same , I think.

Team Gopher
02-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi dsaldivar,

That is very creative! Nice work.

TAKE IT EASY Lawn and Landscape
Full service landscape care provider
“We love what we do! You will too!”

dsaldivar
02-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks Coastal
For the taking the time to review and comment back. Yeah, I'll make the adjustment. The free service is with annual service but I'll probably need to adjust to make it more clear.
Thanks again for the site and input.

Thanks Weed for the other website. I'll take a look.

Thanks Team for the compliement. I'm handy with technology and have had some marketing experience.

Danny