PDA

View Full Version : temik

B&B
01-23-2005, 09:24 AM
I have a customer with a rabbit problem, They are eating leaves on his hawthorns. I suggested shooting them or putting a fence around the bed or using Temik. I know the danger that comes with timik, but do any of you have any experience with using temik? the customer likes the idea of using it.Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Greg Amann
01-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Can be fatal if mishandle or misapplied. I know people that were hospitalized from receiving a toxic level of temik. It is readily picked up by moist skin and starts working on the liver immediately. If you don't get a fatal dose it will eventually leave your body as it is not stored.

On citrus, here in Florida, specialized equipment is used that cuts a trench in the soil, injects it and covers back up.

I have talked to applicators who have seen birds drop dead after landing in the application zone right after an application.

Besides the fact that it would be an illegal application, I would say no way would I even consider this application.

Why not trap and relocate them?

greenerpastures
01-23-2005, 08:11 PM
A dead rabbit, a sympathetic animal lover, a toxicology test, and your toast. Aldicarb was a mainstay in cotton production. A few years ago some guys unwisely thought it could help them in their melon production as well. Dead birds, tested melons, and they faced huge,huge fines and some jail. Since then it has moved up the EPA's watch list. I doubt there would be little enforcement tolerance for misuse of this product.

heritage
01-23-2005, 08:55 PM
I have a customer with a rabbit problem, They are eating leaves on his hawthorns. I suggested shooting them or putting a fence around the bed or using Temik. I know the danger that comes with timik, but do any of you have any experience with using temik? the customer likes the idea of using it.Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Sir,
When I read your post I could only shake my head. Temik has an LD 50 of 7 mg. per kg. Using this EXTREMELY TOXIC insecticide could EAISLY kill more than just rabbits.......it could kill dogs, small children and it could kill you!
I know about temik because I was exposed to some of those granules on my arm as a child in our greenhouse 33 years ago, and I am lucky to be alive today. Temik can be deadly. Buy some millers hot sauce and mix with vapor guard at the label rate. Reapply on a monthly basis. Rabbits hate hot sauce, (capsacian active ingreadent) and it won't kill anyone too.

Temik..........................................READ LABELS........It will save your life or someone else's someday.

Pete D.

B&B
01-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your input, I would say for sure Temik is out. I'm going to try the hotsauce mixture,Thanks, B&B