PDA

View Full Version : Large Commercial Mowing Contract

MOBlues
01-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Gentelmen:

Found this website in the TURF Magazine. Great site.

Started contracting business in June 03 doing grading, seeding, and erosion control projects for residential and commercial clients. We did not do grounds maintenance, but is a profit center I was to eventually pursue slowly.

Long story short, I did not have any type of green industry background, but when the company I worked for over 20 years, as a QC Manager was sold and moved overseas, I became frustrated with the job market and somehow got into this for all the reasons you guys have stated in the past. I attended a Master Gardener class at our University Extension for three months to obtain at least a general understanding of plants, fertilizers, herbicides, turf maintenance and have attended many workshops and seminars. So, has been a continual learning experience.

Have enjoyed great success so far.

With that said, we recently did a grading job for a contractor in my area. So happens the new homeowner is a high level purchasing director for a large company in my area. He has asked me if I would be interested in bidding on their mowing contract, with a five year agreement.

This company has over 221 locations - office buildings, parking lots, maintenance areas, for fine turf mowing, and 200 acres of brush hogging. I see great potential if done properly, so why I am here, to seek advice.

As I stated, with my current contracting company we have a skid steer, tractor, F-350 PU, two 20' trailers, insurance, workers comp etc., but adding a mowing division for such a large project, I need help from someone that handles large commercial mowing projects. Have too many questions to try and post here. Am looking for a mentor that is willing to become a consultant while putting this proposal together. If you would like to send me an email to forestlake3@netzero.com, we can exchange phone numbers.

Look to hear from someone soon

Thanks

Joe