PDA

View Full Version : Your take on the EZ Trencher?????

sildoc
01-23-2005, 06:12 PM
I have been looking for a trencher for a while and have been contemplating the eztrencher. However I was looking for feed back on how well it cuts a trench in clay soil? wet, dry, damp. I am looking for a economical form of trencher since I do not want to dump alot of money into the irrigation side quite yet. I also do not have alot of room to store a large trencher when I am not using it.

A little info on my plans.
1. do irrigation in early spring before the grass season starts. wet to damp soil at this time
2. do irrigation during the summer burn off when most lawns are not growing as much because of the lack of H2O.
3. do irrigation during late fall after leaves and winter. dry to very wet soil

I plan mainly on new installs, with some repair also. When I say new installs I mean with out grass on new construction graded dirt or fill. I also will do new installs on grassed areas also for people wanting sprinkler systems in existing turf.

Now we have no frost line. at max in winter during a heavy freeze you will see maybe a 2" freeze at most so going deeper than 8-12" is no concern.

Give me your take on this.
Thanks.

kerdog
01-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Hey sildoc-----

I have used (rented) this trencher, the model that has the clutch feature. I thought it worked well. It is heavy, making it difficult for a lite-weight like me, to pull while trenching. And being bulky, I've found difficult to load/unload into/from a pick-up, with two guys. It weighs around 250 lbs. Yes, a ramp would help.

It trenches well in clay, can dig up to 18" deep, and can be adjusted on the fly. Does not do well in wet/damp soil. It gets clogged up, and is hard to clean out. The trench is 2-1/2" wide, so minimal damage to turf. Trench can be hard to clean out, and hard to work in, but is possible. Will put pipe together outside trench or lift up and out.

Will probably be my choice, when it's time to buy. That's my take---see ya--

kerdog

sildoc
01-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks Kerdog,
The Wet part was what I was worried about. I can rig up a shovel to clean out the trench since I have yet to see one that is that size. As for when I worked with a landscaper I have found that we mostly put piping together outside the trench anyways untill we got to connecting mainlines. I would however like a little more input before I make my decision.

kerdog
01-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey sildoc-----

A trenching shovel makes it pretty easy to get in that trench, especially if you get one that is a 3" wide one. I bought a 4" one, because where I was they were out of the 3". It does o.k.

Have you checked out EZ's web-site?

That trencher, probably like most of that style, does not like concrete chunks. Always finding lots of junk (concrete, bricks, 2 by 4's, stakes, etc.) that the builder did not (won't) clean up. They just bring in some fill and "bury" it. It does do pretty good with smaller roots. That's where the "clutch" feature will come in. The blade will stop turning, and not stall the engine. A little bit of protection, for the blade itself. See ya------

kerdog

Compact Equipment Guy
01-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I use a Vermeer S600 with the trencher attachment. I do water lines and install drainage around foundations with it. This machine is heavy built and has a decent trencher on it. I am pleased with the performance of the machine and I have a couple other attachments I use with it when Im not trenching. it works good for me....

CEG :waving:

YardPro
01-28-2005, 08:31 PM
we use a brown.
i like it much better than the disc type.

the brown uses a blade with carbide teeth.
will cut through bricks, small concrete, 2X4's, roots, etc without too much of a broblem.

Fatheroftwo
01-29-2005, 07:48 AM
I've used an EZ trencher since 91 and owned one since 96. Mine has the Honda engine and has never missed a beat. I've had to put 2 disc on it and one set of belts. By far the best trencher for normal trenching. As far as wet soil or clay, the shoot on the side will get clogged. Keep a shoval around and keep pulling the dirt out and it will keep digging. Good luck.