PDA

View Full Version : Direct mail help?

nlminc
01-29-2001, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone, I have had success in the past using professionally designed flyers and direct mailing them. This time around I want to send out a letter that will be enveloped and the address will be hand written instead of a printed mailing label. I feel this will grab more attention because it will look personalized instead of a flyer that looks as it was mass mailed. My problem is comming up with a letter to a prospective customer. For some reason I have writters block when I want to sit and type one. I was wondering if any of you have this type of letter that you could share with me to give me some ideas?

Thanks, Chris

zimm4
01-29-2001, 06:05 PM
I would do A search for marketing. Look up some sites.
Believe it or not A lot of old ideas still work.

Remember a good letter needs to have a eye catching headline.
You need to point a problem and rub salt in the wound.
Then give the solution.

Last but not least. A call to action.
Have a deadline for a special.

Try this aproach at least 2 or 3 times

Kyle

HOMER
01-29-2001, 06:15 PM
I get that "writters" block every now and then!

I target the prospective customer and write a letter tailored to them, not a general letter. I would suggest doing this, pick out a couple places that you would like to service and let them know how you could benefit them. Compliment the property futuristically speaking, like after you have worked your magic on it. Anything less than this, even professionally done, will look like a mass mailing.

Did this make sense? :confused:

Ssouth
01-29-2001, 07:55 PM
Makes sense to me. Sounds like a good marketing strategy to me. Make them feel like your talking to them personally and not everyone in the area. The only downside I see is this could be very time consuming, but most of us have extra time right now due to weather. (At least I do here in N. Alabama)

nlminc
01-29-2001, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replys. Kyle, I like your ideas about the structure of the letter. Homer,your idea is great, but not feasible because my mailing list consist of over 10,000 high end accounts and 90% of these people only spend the summer months here. I will be sending the mailing to their non-summer residence where they will read it. I would like to send out a letter that somewhat combines both of your ideas though. I know the hand written adresses will grab attention and personalize this for a start. If I have a nice letter inside and a coupon or something, I feel I will have a great responce.

Chris

Green Finger
01-30-2001, 10:26 AM
Specific customer send them a letter.

If you are mailing to the general public send them a flyer.

Most people have an attention spand of 2minutes max. If they don't reconnize you from the letter, it's the trash.

Flyers are eye catchy and maintains 5minutes of time.

Eng Mwr Guy
01-30-2001, 12:42 PM
More like 10 seconds.

Specific, well done pieces of literature targeted to likely prospects (instead of suspects) is much more effective.

It is proven the #1 read is the headline. You may want to test one headline against another. Send 200 flyers out with 100 one way and another 100 a different way. This way, if you keep testing, you find out what is most effective for your service, locale, etc.

It is proven the #2 read is the PS at the end of a letter (if applicable). This can be tested too.

Note on testing: You can only test 1 thing at a time to see if it is really working.

A suggestion:
Why do your customers purchase your service now?
Make sure these are listed/shown/answered in your letter/flyer.

Personalizing does make a difference. A name makes a difference. Everyone loves their own name. Makes 'em feel important.

Why not try calling? You can then find out what the need is and explain how you fulfill it in detail.

There are many, many books at the library on direct marketing. I recommend Jay Abraham.

[Edited by Eng Mwr Guy on 01-30-2001 at 12:44 PM]

zimm4
01-30-2001, 12:52 PM
Another idea is fold your letter. That when its opened.
The headline is showing first. If you have a catchy headline. They will continue reading.

You have more then 2 minutes as long as what your presenting. Is of interest to them.

Rember we live in the imformation age.
Give them imfo.

If you had to sell a client face to face and I placed a 2minute on your sales presentation. How many jobs would you close on?

Kyle