PDA

View Full Version : Truck-enclosed Trailer ????

s and s mowing
01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
I Have A Ford F 150 With A V6 Auto,will It Handle A 16 Ft Enclosed Trailer Ok.or What Size Would It Handle.

D Felix
01-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Hunt and peck when you type much?:D Not Every Word Needs To Be Capitalized!

Seriously though, if it's actually a V6, I don't think I'd try it for daily use, unles you were pulling it empty most of the time. But I doubt you want to do that.

We've got an '01 or '02 (can't remember which) F-250 2wd at work with the 5.4 V8. You REALLY know the 14' enclosed trailer is there when you are pulling it. I don't think it's the wieght as much as the extra drag that you notice, since ours probably hasn't had any more than 1000 pounds in it yet. For occasional use, the gas V8 is fine, but if it's going to be pulled a lot, it's going behind the diesel.

Again, in your circumstance, it may be the wieght that will affect you as much as the added drag. So if you're dead set on an enclosed trailer, put as little as possible in it. The V6 is going to be a dog pulling any trailer, enclosed or not; I'd recommend upping your truck size before purchasing a trailer that size.

HTH. Hope it made at least a little sense- it's too late for me to think very clearly.:)

Dan

i_plant_art
01-23-2005, 11:34 PM
f150 with a 16 foot itself will be draggin with the V6 not to mention loading it down. i would look into either a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. step it up to a powerstroke, then you dont have to worry about what you can and cant pull. i load mine up roll down the road without knowing i even have a trailer on it. but i think a 16ft is gonna be too big for that truck when loaded you will seriously be dragging, and i dont think it would be that safe either a truck like that isnt made to stop a trailer like that. what ever you go with make sure you install a brake controler.

D Felix
01-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say.:)

Thanks, plant!

Dan

s and s mowing
01-23-2005, 11:40 PM
OK GUYS THANKS,NOW WHAT SIZE?????????????? i need to haul my 60 lazer and 36 walk behind

D Felix
01-23-2005, 11:55 PM
ALL CAPS is considered yelling, just so you know.:) We'll get you learned yet.:D

If you don't need an enclosed, a 12 or 14' flatbed trailer should be more than enough. Chances are, you can buy a 14' off the lot with brakes, but a 12' with brakes may be special order.

If it has to be an enclosed, get the smallest you can get by with, but plan on trading it in when you get a bigger truck. You'll want a bigger trailer from the time you buy it, trust me. But there's a limit to how much the V6 will pull. Park the Z and the WB in a line, as tight as you can get them, and take some measurements. That should tell you what size you can/need to get.

My advice is still to upgrade the size of your truck, then get the trailer you want. It doesn't take long to get a lot of wieght in an enclosed trailer. MAKE SURE you have brakes on the trailer, even if it means buying a little bigger than you need, or having to special order it. Remember, it's not how fast you can get there, it's making sure you can stop when you do!

Dan