PDA

View Full Version : TurnAer26 Aerator by Turfco

littlenic
01-24-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm about to purchase the TurnAer26 by Turfco. I have used the search button quite a bit looking into aerators. Iíve narrowed it down to 3.

1) The new Billy Goat,
2) The split drum Lesco made by Classing
3) The TurnAer26 by Turfco

I'm going with the TurnAer26 by Turfco. I've read a few post on here and it seemed that the Billy Goat had a problem staying out of the shop and was being redesigned by the user problems encountered.

The TurnAer26 by Turfco seemed to offer the best I could find without any bad reviews so far. If anyone knows of any problems or has any input, please let me know.

Thanks, littlenic :cool2:

tiedeman
01-24-2005, 01:00 AM
I used the 20 from Turfco and I love it. Plus also with the 26 you can put a sulky on it as well. I am going to try to make one of my velke sulkies work this spring on my 20

coastallandscapesolutions
01-24-2005, 07:55 AM
A very good choice!

brucec32
01-24-2005, 11:03 AM
$3000 plus and it's still a walk behind? I'm too lazy for that. I'm confused how you'd mount a sulky behind it too. It obviously isn't designed with that in mind, or they'd mention it in the ads.

aw20536
01-24-2005, 12:00 PM
The sulky mounts to the rear 1x4 solid crossmember. Heavy and sturdy mount. All three (26,20, and sulky) are in the latest copy of Lawn & Landscape.

brucec32
01-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I checked their website briefly and it looks to be about $800 more than the single drum version w/similar ( at a glance) specs.

Obviously a higher profit item for them.

If a sulky really worked well with this it'd be worth the money to me.

DLS1
01-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Grounds Maintenance magazine I got in today shows it on page 54 and has a Chariot sulky on it.

Mycannon
01-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Whats wrong with the JRCO hooker aerator. It's about $1600 and will aerate up to 1.5 acre an hour

Smithers
04-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Whats wrong with the JRCO hooker aerator. It's about $1600 and will aerate up to 1.5 acre an hour
can't get into tight spaces....

what is the core depth on the turfco aerator?

KathysLGC
04-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Have you looked into the Plugr 800?
http://www.plugr.com/pl800.html

littlenic
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
can't get into tight spaces....

what is the core depth on the turfco aerator?

About 2.5 - 3 " if water well the day before. It works very well on hills, I also have the Ryan 28 for getting in close to beds an such but in open parts of the lawn, with the Chariot sulky you can go as fast as you want, maybe to fast in some cases. I put one on the open area's and another around the beds and walks and they finish about the same time and then fertilize.

love it so far. We have alot of hills in my area and the plugger 8000 didn't handle hills by everything I have read here so I didn't look at them. If no hills I would have look at it because of the great reviews they receive here, but like I said I have lots and lots of hills.

Hope this helps, and good luck, littlenic

Smithers
04-22-2005, 12:53 PM
About 2.5 - 3 " if water well the day before. It works very well on hills, I also have the Ryan 28 for getting in close to beds an such but in open parts of the lawn, with the Chariot sulky you can go as fast as you want, maybe to fast in some cases. I put one on the open area's and another around the beds and walks and they finish about the same time and then fertilize.

love it so far. We have alot of hills in my area and the plugger 8000 didn't handle hills by everything I have read here so I didn't look at them. If no hills I would have look at it because of the great reviews they receive here, but like I said I have lots and lots of hills.

Hope this helps, and good luck, littlenic
thanks....i was on turfco website and was not happy at all to see that they did not list the coring depth of their machines. that's one of the most important things to me and they did not list it at all.

i emailed them and did not hear back.

but your feedback helps. thanks a lot. it seems like you like it a lot.

Gators_Aerator
04-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Call and leave them a message. They returned my call the next day.

Smithers
04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Call and leave them a message. They returned my call the next day.
yeah, i should....in fact, i just did my yard with a turfco 20 inches, a rental unit from Home depot.

i will do a quick review today and post some pictures of the plugs that came out. there are good things about it and bad things too.

Smithers
04-23-2005, 11:01 PM
here are my thoughts on the Turfco aerator.

i took it from HD and it was a pain in the ass to load it in my truck. did not have the trailer with me so needed to get the ramps. it was even a bigger pain getting it off the truck.

the actuator handle is below the handle bars and you have to reach way under (have to bend down) to pull the tires and getthe tines into the ground.

the gas throttle is ABOVE the handle bar and when you let go the handlebar you are still pressing the throttle and the aerator is still going eventhough you are technically not holding the handle bars. Stupid design. the throttle should be underneath the handlebar. by throtle i mean the handle that makes the tines move.

then, i must have gotten a bad one since AT THE SLIGHTEST ANGLE (left tire lower than right) it would kill the engine. i have some roots and when the right tire was on a root (barely visible) and the left was not, it would kill the engine. Stupid.

the plugs were really good. i'd say 3 inches.

another thing.....when you are plugging away, the handlebar is so low to the ground that you have to bend down to be able to hold the bar. i am only 5*8 and i was bent the whole time. my back is killing me now.and you have to be bent down the whole time you are aerating..... Stupid.

Don't get me started on the "not being able to turn when it's aerating" fact...but from what i hear, all of them are this way. Stupid design.

the machine is very heavy and for someone that is not big *170lbs, it's really hard to control and manuver.

i'd never buy it. i was running out of breath doing a 2000 sq. feet lawn. turning it a biatch too. you have to pull the handle (takes a lot of force) and dis-engage the tines, pull the erator and almost lift it off the ground and turn at the same time. it seemed like i was fighting with it the WHOLE TIME.

really dissapointed in this and all other aerators that i have seen. why can't they make an aerator that is as easy to use as a 21" mower? i wonder if they have any R&D departments in those companies. i must be in a bad mood, but i think their designs are idiotic. i'd never rent one again.

sorry for being so critical and negative.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-24-2005, 12:20 AM
I dislike most aerators in which u reach down under the handle to raise the wheels and then reach back up for the throttle. We will be picking up a PL800 from Plugr next spring. We do residental houses where this size would be plenty.

Besides the rotating tine aerators kill me by the end of the day.

Smithers
04-24-2005, 07:30 AM
I dislike most aerators in which u reach down under the handle to raise the wheels and then reach back up for the throttle. We will be picking up a PL800 from Plugr next spring. We do residental houses where this size would be plenty.

Besides the rotating tine aerators kill me by the end of the day.
jeff.......EXACTLY......you said it right. a friend has a Lesco machine, 30", with a handle that is only 5-6" to raise the wheels, and it's on the side. it looks much easier, but more masive.

is the pl800 better? i really hate the rotating tines thing........i wish they can make them vertical, like a piston-cylinder type of motion.

why can't they put a caster wheel in the front to move the damn thing around?

is the pl800 with rotating tines?

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-24-2005, 09:56 AM
jeff.......EXACTLY......you said it right. a friend has a Lesco machine, 30", with a handle that is only 5-6" to raise the wheels, and it's on the side. it looks much easier, but more masive.

is the pl800 better? i really hate the rotating tines thing........i wish they can make them vertical, like a piston-cylinder type of motion.

why can't they put a caster wheel in the front to move the damn thing around?

is the pl800 with rotating tines?

Check it out, www.plugr.com Thet tines are on a "crank shaft" and they move in a up and down motion.

Smithers
04-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Check it out, www.plugr.com Thet tines are on a "crank shaft" and they move in a up and down motion.
i forgot to mention....the handle that is below the handlebar, the one that pulls the tires up and the tines down, required a lot of weight to pull it up and down. i'd say between 30-50lbs each way. doing that 25 times a yard (at least) and no wonder my arm cramped by yard #3.

the plugr website is not very informative. pictures are far away. i requested more info.

where can you buy them from? i'd hate to pay S&H

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-24-2005, 03:01 PM
We have local suppliers around here for them. I'm sure you do as well. I beleive they are new up here though and have not seen one out and about yet. I got the info package and it has some ok pictures showing how it works. I forget cost on them, I have it on an e mail somewhere.

aw20536
04-24-2005, 11:10 PM

i took it from HD and it was a pain in the ass to load it in my truck. did not have the trailer with me so needed to get the ramps. it was even a bigger pain getting it off the truck.

the actuator handle is below the handle bars and you have to reach way under (have to bend down) to pull the tires and getthe tines into the ground.

the gas throttle is ABOVE the handle bar and when you let go the handlebar you are still pressing the throttle and the aerator is still going eventhough you are technically not holding the handle bars. Stupid design. the throttle should be underneath the handlebar. by throtle i mean the handle that makes the tines move.

then, i must have gotten a bad one since AT THE SLIGHTEST ANGLE (left tire lower than right) it would kill the engine. i have some roots and when the right tire was on a root (barely visible) and the left was not, it would kill the engine. Stupid.

another thing.....when you are plugging away, the handlebar is so low to the ground that you have to bend down to be able to hold the bar. i am only 5*8 and i was bent the whole time. my back is killing me now.and you have to be bent down the whole time you are aerating..... Stupid.

Don't get me started on the "not being able to turn when it's aerating" fact...but from what i hear, all of them are this way. Stupid design.

the machine is very heavy and for someone that is not big *170lbs, it's really hard to control and manuver.

i'd never buy it. i was running out of breath doing a 2000 sq. feet lawn. turning it a biatch too. you have to pull the handle (takes a lot of force) and dis-engage the tines, pull the erator and almost lift it off the ground and turn at the same time. it seemed like i was fighting with it the WHOLE TIME.

really dissapointed in this and all other aerators that i have seen. why can't they make an aerator that is as easy to use as a 21" mower? i wonder if they have any R&D departments in those companies. i must be in a bad mood, but i think their designs are idiotic. i'd never rent one again.

Doesn't sound like you were using the particular aerator that this thread was talking about, if so and the handle was too low you could have raised it, being that the Turnaer 26 has an adjustable handle. Also, the Turnaer has a differential and individual side brakes that makes it steerable so you don't have that much lifting to do. And if you do need to lower the wheels and lift the machine, if has heavy springs which assist you when lifting it. I have one and I is absolutely the best aerator I have ever used. Yes it is heavy, but it pulls great plugs and is very good on hills.

Smithers
04-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Doesn't sound like you were using the particular aerator that this thread was talking about, if so and the handle was too low you could have raised it, being that the Turnaer 26 has an adjustable handle. Also, the Turnaer has a differential and individual side brakes that makes it steerable so you don't have that much lifting to do. And if you do need to lower the wheels and lift the machine, if has heavy springs which assist you when lifting it. I have one and I is absolutely the best aerator I have ever used. Yes it is heavy, but it pulls great plugs and is very good on hills.
you are probably right.....but mine was turfco 20, not 26. i dont think i could adjust the handle and it was not steerable.

TurfcoScott
04-27-2005, 06:59 PM
It sounds like the Turfco aerator you rented from HD had been modified. We do have a separate throttle control that is not connected to the bale which engages the tine drive. You can adjust the throttle speed separately.
The shutting off sounds like the oil sentry on the honda engine.

In regards to our different aerators we have the traditional Aerator 20 and the Pro 26 aerator both operate like traditional aerators where you have to lift and turn at the end of the pass.

It sounds like the unit that was tried was the traditional Aerator 20

Our steerable aerators that we developed are the Turnaer 20 and the Turnaer 26. Both use the differential and patented brake system so you can run them like a midsize mower. We do have adjustable handle heights on the Turnaer versions.
There is a world of difference between the two.

We do have free Cd roms that have videos showing the different units in operation and we are happy to send them to whoever would like them.

I am sorry if your email didn't get to the right person, but don't hesitate to call us and we will get right back to you. We always look forward to your input
Scott Kinkead V.P.
Turfco mfg 1-800-679-8201

Smithers
04-27-2005, 10:23 PM
It sounds like the Turfco aerator you rented from HD had been modified. We do have a separate throttle control that is not connected to the bale which engages the tine drive. You can adjust the throttle speed separately.
The shutting off sounds like the oil sentry on the honda engine.

In regards to our different aerators we have the traditional Aerator 20 and the Pro 26 aerator both operate like traditional aerators where you have to lift and turn at the end of the pass.

It sounds like the unit that was tried was the traditional Aerator 20

Our steerable aerators that we developed are the Turnaer 20 and the Turnaer 26. Both use the differential and patented brake system so you can run them like a midsize mower. We do have adjustable handle heights on the Turnaer versions.
There is a world of difference between the two.

We do have free Cd roms that have videos showing the different units in operation and we are happy to send them to whoever would like them.

I am sorry if your email didn't get to the right person, but don't hesitate to call us and we will get right back to you. We always look forward to your input
Scott Kinkead V.P.
Turfco mfg 1-800-679-8201
scott, have you tried lifting and turning the 20" aerator 20 times in a row (what an average yard around here requires)? i was getting muscle spasms/cramps in my elbow at the beging of the third yard. while taking a shower later that evening i couold not even bend my arm. it was horrible.

yes, the unit was 20" and it was not modified. i could not explain it correctly. the throttle was on a separate handle on the right hand side. what's the point of that trottle since i can't go much faster than the lowest speed without killing everything in sight? the throttle is useless if you ask me.

the "bale" as you said it was so difficult to engage. i got blisters on 3 fingers because of it. i am not whining, i am telling you what my experience was.

honestly, i was thinking about buying one before i tried it. now, i am not sure anymore.

i can't lift and turn a 300 lb machine. if i wanted to, i'd go to the gym!!

TurfcoScott
04-28-2005, 06:33 PM
petrenz

Good point on the traditional operation of aerators

What you are bringing up is actually the reason we developed the Turnaer Aerators. Traditional aerators ,including our traditional aerators,do not turn in the ground you have to lift them up at the end of each pass and it can be a killer.

The Turnaers on the other hand have a differential and patented brake system that you can use to steer the unit with the tines in the ground drastically decreasing the lift and turn. You aerate more like you would if you were mowing the area instead of the lift and turn.
You tap the fingertip brake controls to steer the unit.
Send me your info and I 'll get you a cd showing the differences
Best Regards,
Scott Kinkead scott@turfco.com

Gators_Aerator
04-29-2005, 06:20 PM
I called them a few weeks ago and had a call back within two days. They sent out the video disc and it is a great example of what the Turnaer's can do.
It is one of my top picks for my next purchase.

Old Hippy
05-08-2005, 08:29 AM
To Tiedeman on the sulky behind a Turfco Turnaer aerator. I tried the Velke I have and could not get it to work. I then got one from Turfco and saw the big difference. The Velke has an extension that goes out from the back of the machine to hook the sulky to. the Turfco sulky hooks right to the back of the mahince. And let me tell you it does work. I weigh 240 plus and it hauls me around like a mini bike. It is almos fun. Big lawns are easy and small lawns are alot of turn and twist. Better off walking the lawns like 2000 square feet or smaller. Although I was doing a blvd. that was only 10 ft wide or so and turns fine in less than 10 feet. It is the best thing they ever did for aerators. Makes it as easy as mowing.

We could even have races now like the old days with chariots. You know hop up your honda and go.

Oldhippy

Old Hippy
05-08-2005, 08:43 AM

I have a couple thoughts for you on aerators. When you rent an aerator and I mean from anyone. Expect to get a machine that has had a hard life, poor maint and probably modified to please the mechanic who works on it. Providing they have a mechanic. Also you may be getting a machine that is 10 years old and who knows what else. That is like going down to the used car lot taking out a 10 year old ford with 150,000 miles on it for a test drive. Some rental companies keep new equipment on hand but my experience has been the other way. Most rental equipment is old, tired and beat to crap.
Enough on rental.
On Aerators, I have been in this biz for 30 years this year and I have seen more improvement in aerators in the past 5 years than the first 25. It is like the just woke up or maybe just more competition. Anyway I have one of the new turnaers from turfco and love it. I am 57 and can aerate big lawns all day. It is tricky to learn to drive the first day but after that it is easy. Kinda like your first z mower. Ya want to cuss it for the first day and after a week you could kiss it.
Keep the faith a couple more years and Im outta here. Gonna go to AZ where they don't got grass.

oldhippy

Smithers
05-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I have a couple thoughts for you on aerators. When you rent an aerator and I mean from anyone. Expect to get a machine that has had a hard life, poor maint and probably modified to please the mechanic who works on it. Providing they have a mechanic. Also you may be getting a machine that is 10 years old and who knows what else. That is like going down to the used car lot taking out a 10 year old ford with 150,000 miles on it for a test drive. Some rental companies keep new equipment on hand but my experience has been the other way. Most rental equipment is old, tired and beat to crap.
Enough on rental.
On Aerators, I have been in this biz for 30 years this year and I have seen more improvement in aerators in the past 5 years than the first 25. It is like the just woke up or maybe just more competition. Anyway I have one of the new turnaers from turfco and love it. I am 57 and can aerate big lawns all day. It is tricky to learn to drive the first day but after that it is easy. Kinda like your first z mower. Ya want to cuss it for the first day and after a week you could kiss it.
Keep the faith a couple more years and Im outta here. Gonna go to AZ where they don't got grass.

oldhippy

my home depot is so big and so popular that they have only new equipment. i think they buy new stuff every year at the most. just yesterday i went to get the power rake i used last weekend...and they had 3 new ones delivered on Friday night.

but anyway...on usage....i think they are waking up, but still look sleepy to me. i am telling you that my hands were sore from lifting the #250 machine on
3 lawns....and i hated it. granted, i was using the 20" one and they did not have the big one that turns by itself.....but still.

hippy, what do you do when you do a fenced yard and get to the fence? do you have to pull the earator back in order to lift and turn?

what i really want to try is the Clausen Stand-aer....it loks like a mini ZTR, but with a price tag of $8K....it ain't that mini.

Old Hippy
05-09-2005, 10:19 AM
A fenced yard should require extra billing. But a guy can't get away with it. They are the sh---s. Even with my turnaer I have to pull up into a corner. Pop it it ( by the way it is spring loaded out of the ground) and pull it back. the trim takes a little time a few minutes but it is important. I trim the yard a couple passes around just to make sure i get the edges then I just drop it and go. I can do a large yard with two passes in 30 minutes. Gates are a pain. Like I said we should be able to charge extra for fences. But that is life. I make up for the small ones with the big ones I can do so fast. I have tried every aerator for the past 30 years and none of them are EASY. It is just the nature of the beast.

Back to the rental guys. I figured one time what it cost to rent. Counting truck time, hourly time and wait time at the rental store. It costs about double what your rental cost is and half the time I get crappy equipment. We finally got a Home Depot and you really gotta wait there. Their rental dept is an accident and geared to homeowners with a lotta time. Not me.

Dealers are the guys who should really get into renting commercial equip. They could let you try the latest and they are geared to commercial guys.

Anyway good cuttin and such.

Old Hippy

Smithers
06-01-2005, 11:52 PM
isn't there an aerator that is as easy to operate as a dethatcher? i know that it has to be heavy to penetrate the soil and all that, but come on.....for an average guy like me, it's really hard to operate it.

i just detatched a few yards this weekend and man, what a joy it was....i just ran it like a 21 incher, then go with the ultravac collect the thatch, dump it in the bed, collect the money and get rich!!!...my back was not broken.....like it was after the aeration jobs...:(

Old Hippy
06-03-2005, 08:28 AM
I am 57 have arthritis in hands and knees with three levels fused in my back and I aerate lawns. I use the Turfco TurnAer. I walk the small ones and ride on my sulky chariot attachment on the big ones. You drive the thing with brakes using your fingers. It will go faster than I can walk but you just slow it down with the throttle. When you ride it is almost fun. You just throttle up and drive. The hard part is loading and unloading but once you get the hang of it that is not too bad. I just use wood ramps and let the tines walk it into the pickup. When I use the trailer I have a drop ramp that it goes right up. After 30 yers they finally got an aerator that does not kill ya to use it.

Oldhippy