PDA

View Full Version : DON'T Need Ferterlizer Lincense in Florida

Victo
01-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey guys....I just found out that you don't need a ferterlizer license in Florida for you to apply to customers lawn. However, you do need a license If you sell fertilizer with your company name appearing on the fertilizer bag and/or label as "guarantor", you will need to purchase a "Fertilizer License" from the Bureau of Compliance Monitoring (www.flaes.org).

Ric
01-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey guys....I just found out that you don't need a ferterlizer license in Florida for you to apply to customers lawn. However, you do need a license If you sell fertilizer with your company name appearing on the fertilizer bag and/or label as "guarantor", you will need to purchase a "Fertilizer License" from the Bureau of Compliance Monitoring (www.flaes.org).

Victo

You can get around the Fert license if the label says "Victo Blend of Lesco". Basically Nurseries and other retailer can purchase 4 ton lots of a special blend and have the manufacture list the name as Your blend. They are still listed on the bag as Manufactures and hold the License.

Brianj
01-24-2005, 11:25 PM
i have never heard of such, when i went to limited license class, they guy said i had to work under somebody who had their full license for 3 years before i could even take the test in the to get licensed

A.T.A.K
01-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Your info is wrong you do need a license in FL to apply fert. I would check your info a little better. If you are applying the customers fert & using there equipment and not charging then no you do not. If you do any of the above in FL, you will need a license.

Ric
01-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Your info is wrong you do need a license in FL to apply fert. I would check your info a little better. If you are applying the customers fert & using there equipment and not charging then no you do not. If you do any of the above in FL, you will need a license.

ATAK

No Sir You are Wrong. I am a Licensed Pesticide Applicator in the state of Fla. and I believe I know the Law. Straight Fertilizer Doesn't need a special License to apply it. Combo Products Like Weed & Feed Does Require a License.

philk17088
01-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Why is everyone so afraid of the license?????????????
IF YOU AIN"T A SCRUB,TAKE THE TEST!
There is more threads and posts of people trying to skirt the liscense law. Everybody here should take their business to the next level.Be professional,get certified. It can only help your business.
If it was up to me, you'd need a liscense to buy and apply ANY product.

CuttingCrew
01-25-2005, 06:20 PM
I agree Phil!

Hamons
01-25-2005, 06:52 PM
One problem is in FL it is not as easy as just take the test -- from what I gather you have to work for anonther company for a couple years AND then take the test. The test is VERY dificulkt -- compared to other states tests.

Althoug I am in agreement -- everyone should be fully certified and I wish most states had tougher qualifications -- but -- that is why it s such a big issue for some people.

Tvov
01-25-2005, 07:25 PM
In a lot of states you are allowed to apply fertilizer without a license. Most licensing relates to pesticides. Of course, if you apply fertilizer, most customers expect you to also apply weed killer.

Green Dreams
01-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Don't f*** with Ric. He's the man. I was bitchin at the lesco guys today for selling scrubs pesticides. There is no law against it but it still ain't right...

Brianj
01-25-2005, 10:42 PM
you have to work under some for 3 years before you can take the test in the state of florida... i have a limited license in florida, which allows me to spray round up in beds, i can use premergent products in bed... but i cannot do anything on the lawn...i was pulled over by the dept. of argiculture. any chemcials without at license the state can fine u up to $5000..all i had was round up. i went as soon as possible and took the 8 hour class and took the test for the limited license.

WildWest
02-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I've been researching the "limited ornimental pest control lisence" requirements. If you are a lawn company and you want to apply fert. to your customers, that's okay. It can NOT have ANY kind of weed killer in it. JUST FERT. If you want to apply ANY weed and feed ANY KIND of other weed killer you need a L.O.P.C.L.

Here's my problem with the whole Florida licensing B.S..... You have to have 3 years of experience. Okay, I can see that there are uninformed people applying this stuff....staining concrete and pool decks, killing plants that shouldn't be killed, and so on, but i don't have 3 years experience aplying this stuff (under someone's else's license.) i've been applying it as a homeowner for several years. Hell, i'm 36 years old, i've been mowing, or maintaining SOMEONES lawn since I was 14! However, since it's not "documented experience" I can't USE any of that experience and apply it to my time in training for the license..... oh, but, I can "PULL WEEDS BY HAND".... I don't need a license for THAT ...YET!

43 Accounts
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 w/360 eng.
2004 emmerson single axle trailer
2005 Exmark Lazer HP 48"
2000 John Deere 36" walk behind w/ sulky
2003 Echo: trimmer, hedger, blower.
2003 Kawisaki hedger

AND a full time job as a Forklift Mechanic at Disney World!

nelbuts
02-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Yes you can apply fert. without a license in Florida. Florida has one of the toughest pest control test in the nation. It is no big deal to get your "limited applicators" certificate. I will be taking the L&O Certified test in March. There are 200 questions on the test with a four hour time limit. It is not easy.

Here in Florida we have water everywhere and it is easy for chemicals to get into the ground water supply. Thus the difficult tests. In Florida a homeowner can go to Lesco and purchase certain chemicals. They can not purchase "restricted use" pesticides. You as a lawn maintenance operator can have your own name placed on fert. bags as long as you have the manufacture name and EPA codes on the bags. I did that years ago.

Now it is true you have to work under a licensed applicator for three years here.
You can also get a degree in different hort. fields.
You can come from another state with at least three years experience and then work for a company in Florida for at least one year.

I do think it is important as a homeowner to know that the person applying poison on my property have some knowledge and be supervised by an individual who has proven their knowledge.

Ric
02-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Florida has one of the toughest pest control test in the nation. .......... I will be taking the L&O Certified test in March. There are 200 questions on the test with a four hour time limit. It is not easy.

Robin

Not one of the toughest tests. It is the Toughest test in the nation. But after all, we are the Bug Capital of America.

What really makes the Florida Pesticide Tests hard are the Multiply correct answers. But only one answer is considered RIGHT.

Ex sample: What is the best way to kill a Fire Ants mound??

A. Talstar
B. Amdro
C. Orthene
D. Boiling water

Boiling Water is the RIGHT answer because it has the least amount of impact on the environment. However all answers are correct. Yes I have killed a lot of Fire Ants and never used Boiling Water.

Dr Sung who writes the test has very poor English grammar. Some of his questions are very hard to understand.

Pay attention to the sample labels that are given with the test. They contain answers for other questions which they were not intended to help with. Ex sample is the Roundup label which lists weeds as Annuals, Bi Annuals, or perennials. There are question on the test which asks this.

The Picture ID is only about 10 or 15 questions. However the Pictures generally Suck.

Now I over studied for all the tests. But as a result I got a respectable 89 on the L & O test first time. No one has every gotten more than a 96. More than half the people taking the test, are doing so for a second or third time. Less than half the people taking the test PASS.

I offered to help you study by giving you My study material. This included the book the ID pictures are taken from. However you never called or came by. It is TOO late for this test in March. So I can only wish you success.

nelbuts
02-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the help Ric. Honestly with all that has been going on it slipped my mind. I am enrolled in Palmer's Classes so I think that will help. Already, heard about Sung several years ago. You might be interested to know that there was a review of his test a couple of years ago and there were changes made. So will see how it goes. I read over about 250 note cards twice a day and have read several of the books through. Funny thing is that the FL. Lawn book I used for teaching at the VoTech. that is a plus. Talk later and thanks for the advice.