PDA

View Full Version : When do you guys start handing out flyers?

Bryan McMullen
01-29-2001, 09:11 PM
I was wondering what month you guys started handing out flyers.

Groundcover Solutions
01-29-2001, 09:24 PM
I start right awy in Jan!!!! i get a lot of accounts before the other guys get out and about and it has always worked for me i put cards flyers and brochers all over the place i even get a few plowing accounts out of it to. Just may 2 cents!!

Man Joe
01-29-2001, 10:28 PM
Just do a search and when the screen comes up type in the word "fliers". There is a lot of good information, that you would be interested in, there.

[Edited by Man Joe on 01-29-2001 at 09:31 PM]

awm
01-29-2001, 10:42 PM
NOWS GOOD

Craig Turf Management
01-29-2001, 11:25 PM
Advertise your service year-round. I print fliers pretty much year round, and change them slightly depending upon what I'm selling. Just finished a flier for pine needles and other mulches. I've got a flier ready to go for mowing services. I'll post those about every other month during the mowing season. I do a core aeration, overseeding flier late august etc. The service that I'm promoting is usually in larger type or bolder print, but I always include my mowing as well as other services in every flier. I always get more than enough business to justify the cost of the printing.
Good luck, Bill

mbwent
01-30-2001, 01:26 AM
Never stop marketing. Do it weekly, at the very least monthly. If you want the work to stay steady, you have to market steady.

1MajorTom
01-30-2001, 02:01 AM
Personally I feel January is still a tad early for fliers.
People are still recovering from Christmas expenses, and the last thing they want to think about is their lawn.

We do a one time advertisement the first week of March.

Also this year we are going to try door hangers for the first time for a few select neighborhoods. I know we won't be hanging those until the snow has melted. Nothing worse than giving an estimate when the snow is still on the
ground.

In fact, we just gave an estimate today for a school district, and there was snow on the ground. The school district wanted the estimate though, so we couldn't say no.

If you are going after commercial accounts, then it probably isn't too early to start. But with residentials, I would hold off a bit.

Jodi

KirbysLawn
01-30-2001, 02:08 AM
I'm working on a new one now, hope to be putting them out next week. Time to prepair for pre-emergent, hort oils, tree ferts, and new customers!! :D

bdemir
01-30-2001, 03:21 AM
Make sure you make your estimates on time and still make time to cut all the spring grass which grows fast because its spring. I think passing them out one month before cutting gets under way in the spring is the best time. For me that would be march and the earlisest february.

Bedros

JimLewis
01-30-2001, 04:41 AM
I agree with a lot of the guys above. It's good to lay flyers any time of the year. Just be aware that the results differ from month to month. In December we expect to lay a good 200-500 flyers before we get a job. In the spring, we only have to lay about 20-50 to get the same results. It doesn't matter to me though. We are always laying flyers.

My winter crew knows that every day that we don't have work is a "flyer day". They appreciate it because I don't lay them off. They can still get 40 hours a week. And I appreciate it because it keeps the money coming in all winter.

That being said, I disagree with Major Tom. Of course it depends on where you live. It doesn't really snow here so we can keep working all winter. But we've been getting great results from our flyers so far in January. I bet we did 2 times the volume that we did last January.

Another thing to remember is some people keep flyers. I'll be getting calls this May from flyers we laid in January, I guarantee. Not many, but a few. So the results are sometimes delayed.

Basically my rule of thumb is any time we start to get in a slump or don't have a lot of work to do, it's flyer time. I can't believe my friends that own landscaping companies and just sit on their arse all winter claiming "Man.. there's just no calls comin' in at all!" I can't tip them off because their my competition. But I know they'd be busy if they'd just get off their arse and put out a few flyers.

65hoss
01-30-2001, 01:19 PM
I do some year round, but I really start heavily on the flyers at the end of Feb. Usually, around the 1st week of March my phone will start ringing off the wall.

Bryan McMullen
01-30-2001, 06:35 PM
Say if you put flyers in a neighborhood in Jan. do you go back and hit them again in the spring.THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INFO

Man Joe
01-30-2001, 07:30 PM
Bryan,Definitly go back in the spring. The ideal time of the year in my area to put out fliers is the middle of March.Keep fliers in your truck all the time.Throughout the year, when you have time keep putting them out. It's ok to keep hitting the same areas. That's a good way to get more lawns close to where you are already working.

Lawngeek
01-30-2001, 10:49 PM
the grass starts to pick up around here first week of april Ill do my first round mid march then again to the same people mid april or not before may depending on results keep heavy in may until filled

JimLewis
01-30-2001, 11:58 PM
Yah, definitely a good idea to flyer key areas again later in the spring. We flyer our key areas about 3 times per year. I flyer the areas I am not sure about (some areas just get better response than others, I haven't figured out why yet) in the off season and then we flyer the areas we know produce killer results in Late Feb-April - the most productive months.

Atlantic Lawn
03-01-2001, 07:10 AM
We start in Feb for mulching, newspaper first week of March. Remember no flyers in mailboxs the "man" will nail ya in a heartbeat.

Scape Sculptor
03-01-2001, 10:06 AM
I have been doing them the last to weeks, but I agree with the guys above, market all the time.