PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Problems/Hindrances

tylerp
01-29-2001, 08:50 PM
I'm a graduate student working on a New Product Development Project at North Carolina State University. I'm trying to get a sense of the industry and the major stumbling blocks that commercial cutters deal with day to day. The goal is to identify one or several of these problems and help to solve them via new products or services.
Any help identifying these types of issues would be greatly appreciated.
I'd love to hear your thoughts or concerns.
Thank you.
Tyler Patterson

bababooie
01-29-2001, 08:57 PM
maybe a quieter lawn mower,and a redesign of the trimmers,keeping your wrist in the awkward position seems to give me carpal tunnel syn.

awm
01-29-2001, 09:47 PM
tax, insurance,tax,gas cost,and taxes

Acute Cut
01-29-2001, 10:16 PM
1.WB's with too narrow of tires
2.a decent jack that doesnt always seem just about to slip from mower deck as your head is under it
3. How to remove dried grass stains from house from employee dicharging all over it. (Or cars, boats, etc)
4. How to bag more than 1/3 bag of wet grass with no clog
5. Fastest deck cleaning utensil or chem (modeck getting a try this year)
6. a TRUE mulch kit that doesnt take 10 minutes to take off or put on. Covering the shute will not make a 52" into a mulch. It takes baffles. A peddle for mulch ON/Off would be really cool.(that is for the lazer type mowers of course)

those are some problems that i dont have an answer for and would make my life easier. I have more, but then it would sound like i was whining.

Acute Cut

nlminc
01-29-2001, 10:42 PM
Getting on and off the back of a 4x4 dump truck 10 times/day without being injured. It's so easy to slip on a tail gate that's wet or has leaves or grass clipping stuck to it.
Trying to take sticks out from under the mower deck while the blades are still on. Just kidding bout that one!

Chris

tlcgrounds
01-29-2001, 11:42 PM
I am finding the transition from sole propreitor to employeris very difficlut. A lot of variables and endless new situiations to sort through and try to prevent. Personally I like to work and not to babysit adults. I am so active I could run circles around a lazer with pushmower. If you can slove this than you are the man!!

GroundKprs
01-30-2001, 11:00 AM
There has been no real attempt by anyone in the industry to produce a true mulching mower. I always read "mulching" as side discharge, with occcasional dropping of the discharge chute for safety or aesthetics . It will only be a matter of time before a few children or motorists are injured seriously or killed by this practice, and laws will be passed restricting use of side discharge by commercial mowers. It is just too difficult to safely MULCH grass is many areas of the country.

Attempts at making a mulching mower have centered on modifying the rotary mower - it's always easier to modify an existing system or machine, than start from scratch. But no modification of the scythe beats the reel mower, and no modification of the reel mower beats the rotary mower for economic productivity. A real mulching mower will probably be another step like these, but it will have to be done by someone with an open mind. Maybe a mowing system with two separate chambers: one chamber to lift, cut and direct the debris to the second mulching chamber, which will finely chop and safely drop the clippings.

thelawnguy
01-30-2001, 11:27 AM
try an Exmark. Probably as close as you will get with todays technology to a "perfect" mulching mower.

At least myself and my customers are happy with the result.

lawrence stone
01-30-2001, 11:32 AM
Jim wrote:

>There has been no real attempt by anyone in the industry to produce a true mulching mower

Toro produced a dedicated muclcher back in the early 1990s.

I have one of these decks they are known as a 48" recycler.

They have a place in the landscape in areas where a side discharge machine would throw clippings onto beds, people, cars, and tombstones.

But they are too slow to use as a front line mower in periods of heavy growth. They lose too much ground speed for the deck cannot keep up with the amount of clippings.

This is a fabracated deck not stamped. You can take a whack at it with a 10lb sledge and the deck will not dent.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1209854&a=9499679&p=31207248&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1209854&a=9499679&p=31207245&Sequence=0&res=high

Strawbridge Lawn
01-30-2001, 11:36 AM
Just thinkin...HmmmDevelop a rider that can quickly interchange between mulch, disharge and bag with an emphasis on not increasing the width of the machine. Making an ultra-vac even more efficient. Walker seems to have the edge in the bagging arena.

GroundKprs
01-30-2001, 12:18 PM
Any "mulching" mowing machine in the last decade has performed as designed under optimum conditions, which conditions often don't exist for days at a time. I didn't mean to start another mulching tirade. I just wanted to state the idea that maybe the rotary technology alone is out of date.

bucktail
01-30-2001, 12:40 PM
how about a blade that stays sharp for more than 1 lawn

Acute Cut
01-30-2001, 12:56 PM
LAWRENCE STONE:
Thanks for taking the time to post those pics. I was unaware that such a mower existed. Know i know.

Acute Cut

jeffex
01-30-2001, 06:02 PM
tylerp go to the search feature at the top and
type in inventions
I need a backpack mounted trimmer motor with a
flex cable to run the head to cut down on back
strain from holding trimmer at arms length to
trim. I'm too tall for conventional trimmers.
I have several invention ideas I have been working
on and would be glad to share INfo. I have tried
to contact mfg. about selling idea to them but they
want patents. that process is too rich for me and
the patent search and filing process take time i
don't have e-mail me if interested

Acute Cut
01-30-2001, 06:38 PM
jeffex:
My dealer told me about such an item just the other day. People around here use them for brush clearing. It has a MONSTER engine on it as i hear.

If you are serious about one i can get the info for you.

Let me know
Acute Cut

jeffex
02-01-2001, 09:03 AM
I WANT IT

Acute Cut
02-01-2001, 09:35 AM
I called the dealer here today and gave him your email. has he contacted you? If not i can call him again later.

Acute Cut

jeffex
02-02-2001, 06:36 AM
thanks not yet