PDA

View Full Version : Question about welding on Landscape trailer

blair smock
01-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi guys, My dad passed on a Lincoln Pro mig 135amp wire feed welder to me, havenít used it but a few times, Can you guys let me know if this welder is capable of adding supports and building a front basket on my trailer? Am I limited to the thickness of the steel I can use? Also for this application, Could I just use the wire feed and not the gas, would this create a strong enough weld? Would appreciate any input. One last question! When welding on the trailer, do I need to disconnect the lighting system? I know they are grounded to the trailer and was unsure if current from the welder could harm them?

Thanks Blair

lwcmattlifter
01-25-2005, 08:36 PM
A pro 135 will handle anything you need on a trailer. Make a few practice welds on a metal that is the thickness you will be welding. Pick a setting that gets good penetration without burn through. If you have not welded before then I suggest you practice on scrap before welding on a trailer. You can use just wire feed if you have flux-core wire. If not you need to use gas because it makes a cleaner deeper weld. I strongly suggest using gas if you are making a basket and supports. What do you mean by disconnect? From the truck? YES. disconnecting the lights from the harness...if it was my trailer i would'nt but thats up to you.

blair smock
01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I just wanted to make sure the voltage from the welder would not burn out the lights? Just something that I was thinking about, REally appreciate the comments, Thanks, Blair

Guthrie&Co
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
you can also run flux core with co2. it will run much better with that.

jd270
01-26-2005, 12:57 AM
do you make sure you unhook the truck from the trailer or take off the negitive battery cable off or you will fry the altinator and the computer

wroughtn_harv
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
I just wanted to make sure the voltage from the welder would not burn out the lights? Just something that I was thinking about, REally appreciate the comments, Thanks, Blair

The baby mig ought to do just fine. Just keep in mind that to weld you have to melt metal. A hole means you were closer to welding than not. But with flux core and a little patience you ought to do just fine with that project.

I disconnect battery cable sometimes. But not very often. Heck, my 2003 C5500 has two batteries for the truck and one for the welder. And I use it for a welding table. If welding caused problems with the electrical stuff I'd have a fried truck and welding machine.

A couple of weeks ago I did some heavy welding replacing a cutting edge on a John Deere 655 crawler loader. If any welding was going to hurt something that would have hurt something.

The only way I can imagine weld current damaging a vehicle would be if the vehicle's electrical system became the conductor for the welding current. Electrical current is lazy. It's going to take the path of least resistance. So if you have your ground and your stinger on the same piece of material it ain't going anywhere else. It'll be happy and stay right there with you for the fun. It won't go elsewhere trying to cause problems.

Planter
01-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi guys, My dad passed on a Lincoln Pro mig 135amp wire feed welder to me, havenít used it but a few times, Can you guys let me know if this welder is capable of adding supports and building a front basket on my trailer? Am I limited to the thickness of the steel I can use? Also for this application, Could I just use the wire feed and not the gas, would this create a strong enough weld? Would appreciate any input. One last question! When welding on the trailer, do I need to disconnect the lighting system? I know they are grounded to the trailer and was unsure if current from the welder could harm them?

Thanks Blair
I have a slightly larger Lincoln MIG welder. Inside the panel, where you load and check the wire spool is a chart that shows the various settings for the size metal you are going to weld. It gives you an amperage and spool speed setting to try as a start and you can adjust from there. It even shows recommended wire for the job.

Check your wire and make sure it is flux core or you will need to use the shielding gas. I like the gas because I believe it splatters less and gives a neater weld. I bought my welder at a pawn shop and it had a third of a 10 lb. spool of wire on it. I used it a bit and noticed it was Harbor Freight wire. I used it up and changed to a name brand and found a lot better weld appearance and a whole lot less splatter. Good wire makes a difference.

Harv is right electricity is lazy. I disconnect the electrical if I'm not too lazy that day or at least insure that lights, electrical components and any bearings are not between the ground line clamp and the stinger or gun. No sense creating more work for myself.

Practice on some scrap of the same size to get your settings and technique right and good luck.