PDA

View Full Version : Door Hangers or Flyers???

JimLewis
01-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Who here has done BOTH door hangers and flyers?

After doing both, which do you prefer?

I have always done flyers. We still have about 6K of our really nice full color flyers left. But I was thinking that door hangers might be easier because it would be quick to hang them. So I was going to order some door hangers in a month or so.

But then I read this thread;
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93904

Where DFW says that he has trouble getting the door hangers on the door. They end up wasting a lot of time trying to affix them to the door handle.

So before I order my door hangers, I need to know..... Is it easier? Or Harder?

I think a well done door hanger is sometimes more professional than a flyer. That's why I wanted to switch.

Lux Lawn
01-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Jim
I have not done the door hanger myself but I have seen a lot of very nice one's here and believe that if it is designed right it will be just as effective as a good flyer.This year I am doing full color flyer's where in the past I have done B/W.I know the thread you were referring to and the problem about the hanger not fitting over the door handle but if it has the slit around the top how could it not fit?

Hamons
01-26-2005, 04:17 PM
What I've done in the past is used a heavy cardstock postcard that i then fold and put in the handle of the door. If no handle is available -- then I stick it in between the door and the jamb. I have had great luck with that as well as rolling flyers up and putting them in the doors.

I see no reason not to use your 6k color flyers.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Jim,

Perhaps we should group together to place the order. I'm ordering 60,000. A printer would give a better price for more volume, wouldn't they?

How many are you ordering?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

mastercare
01-26-2005, 04:47 PM
I've done both. I think that the door hangers, when professional looking, come across better. People are going to pay more attention to something on the door. It's the only thing in their hand when they pick it up. If you put something on or near (not in) the mailbox it'll be thrown out with the other junk they get. We had card stock door hangers, but even with the little slit, we had a small breeze and they were all blowing off. I ended up doing a whole neighborhood, just sticking them in the paperboxes (which is legal). The door hangers work great on a regular old round Doorknob. The door handles however are thinner, and the wind will pull them off.

As far as response rate.....I think it was about the same. The door hangers tended to get people more interested in paying what we were asking. The flyers got equal response, but more of them were looking for cheap price. That tells me that the door hangers get better clientele (maybe my case is unique). Just don't do it on a windy day!

Lux Lawn
01-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Mastercare
You brought up some good points the one good thing about a door hanger is you can get the with a business card design on the that can be ripped off and saved for a later date.Plus if it is the only thing in their hands without the mail the may look at it a little closer.

fairwayCuts
01-26-2005, 04:52 PM
I passed out a bunch of door hangers last year. They're real easy to hang up IMO. I have notice them blow of though on some types of handles.

mtdman
01-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Here's my 2 cents. When we just started out, we passed out 2000 door hangers and I hated it. I'm not sure what the response was, but it wasn't very good. Of course, the design was kinda amatuerish as well. If I were going to go door to door passing out flyers or door hangers, I'd pick the hangers because it's easier to affix so they don't blow away.

Personally, when I get any of that stuff at my house, I toss it out without looking at it. Whether it's pizza coupons or lawn care. If I'm going to hire someone for a service, I look in the phone book.

GrassBustersLawn
01-26-2005, 05:21 PM
I use FLYERS, but I get them printed up like door hangers. 2 per 8.5x11 sheet on heavy stock paper (100 I think) and have it cut in half length wise. I prefer putting them in the "paper boxes" that are attached to the mail box. (NEVER put in MAIL BOX. $300 PER BOX FINE.) In many subdivisions around here I can put out 400 or 500 an hour. Just drive down the street and shoot them into the box. Putting up door hangers would have to be WAY SLOWER. Actually walking up to the door & putting them on and walking to the next house...WAY TOO SLOW. Plus I would be uncomfortable cutting across the grass to the next house, especially when you are wanting to "take care of their yard" and here you are tracking it up (depending on the time of year). I can't put them out on a windy day though, that is the only draw back. Also I try to put them out BEFORE the mailman comes, so usually first thing in the morning.

Mike

eruuska
01-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I passed out a bunch of door hangers last year. They're real easy to hang up IMO. I have notice them blow of though on some types of handles.

I just had bunch of flyers printed up (nothin' fancy, just black on gold paper), and paid a couple of my kids .02 apiece to roll 'em up, rubber band 'em, and stuff a business card under the band. Then I use the rubber band to attach them to the doorknob. So far I haven't seen a door that they won't attach to.

Soupy
01-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I have no problem hanging them. If they Will not hang good on certain types of doors, then you can alway hang them the same way as a flyer. There is nothing that says you have to use the hole provided.

I like Door hangers because the ad is right there when they look at it. A rolled up flyer doesn't get noticed unless they open it.

gglawns
01-26-2005, 08:26 PM
I have a question about the flyers. :help: I understand that the responce rate its about 1%. Is that just for mowing services or all of your services on the return rate? Also is the return rate different for b/w compared to color?

N.H.BOY
01-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Now I have a few sub divisions in my area and I know that just about all of them now have a two car garage and most people pull in and close the garage door and go in that way. Some never see their front door. When I plow they tell me to never shovel the walk to the front door because they never use it, just for halloween. Now Im guessing they never use it in the winter time, but the door hangers you guys put up in the spring, do you think they may not get it? Just something to think about. I my self after hearing this from some of my customers, will be doing mass mailing. 48hourprint postcards that have a tearoff for my buss. card. Have not yet found a mailing company yet, but COASTAL put a good link up for this in a tread some where.

Soupy
01-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Now I have a few sub divisions in my area and I know that just about all of them now have a two car garage and most people pull in and close the garage door and go in that way. Some never see their front door. When I plow they tell me to never shovel the walk to the front door because they never use it, just for halloween. Now Im guessing they never use it in the winter time, but the door hangers you guys put up in the spring, do you think they may not get it? Just something to think about. I my self after hearing this from some of my customers, will be doing mass mailing. 48hourprint postcards that have a tearoff for my buss. card. Have not yet found a mailing company yet, but COASTAL put a good link up for this in a tread some where.

Somebody must be taking them. Plus they usually have to use the front door to get their mail. If the mailbox is located on the street then I usually hang them there. I always find the mail carrier in the neighborhood and ask permission to hang out of his way. I have never been told no. If the mail box is near the garage or if there is a door next to the garage then I try to put them there.

I think the door hangers get better response then direct mailing, just because I know I read them at my house. If it is mixed in with the mail then I toss it.

walker-talker
01-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I think the door hangers get better response then direct mailing, just because I know I read them at my house. If it is mixed in with the mail then I toss it.I have received much better response rate off doorhangers than postcards. I know in the spring most of us might be limited on time, but I feel that postcards are more for people who have more money than time and are still looking for new business.

andersonmowing23
01-27-2005, 11:23 AM
I have done both flyers and door hangers. In my opinion I think you might have a little higher success rate with the door hangers, but not very much if really at all. However I do prefer to put out flyers, because of how easy it is and I can get alot more done. I have never had any trouble putting out door hangers, its just a little more time consuming. I think as long as you have a good looking flyer and pass them out at the right time you should be okay.

Grass Gator
01-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Ads in smaller papers have worked well for us also. We use this 1/4 page ad in (6.4" x 10.5") in our local paper for $180 per run. Curculation is about 7000...

gogetter
02-13-2005, 01:21 PM
I only WISH I could get an ad like that for only $180. But our papers circulation is MUCH higher, and so are the prices to match. :(

In regards to the original question, I have used flyers in clear door knob bags in the past, but often found knobs I couldn't hang it from. I don't like opening their outer door to stick it in the jam.
So this year I'm switching to regular door hangers since these will go on pretty much any door knob. But I have to say, that after reading some posts, I'm concerned about them blowing off of some knobs.
I guess I'll just have to skip really windy days.

turfsurfer
02-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Have noticed the same problems with doorhangers blowing off. A large company just hit my neighborhood and many of them are in the yards and flower beds already. Still, I believe the door gets you more attention than the mailbox. My solution is high quality jumbo postcards inserted into clear doorhanger bags. Makes them stay on the door better due to no slit (just a round hole), weather resistant, and if you want you could still find a place on the mailbox for them. Postcards are usually a little less than doorhangers even including price of bags. Just a little more labor stuffing them, but hey. it's a tradeoff.

bottlefed89
02-13-2005, 07:15 PM
So about 1% return is what you all are seeing on doorhangers?? Other than the little newspapers, what other methods are you using?? Oh yea, I also work for a mailing house if you want help on mailing anything... I think I'm gonna try and do the doorhangers this year, probably several rounds of them. WHen do you all put em out??
thanks
greg

N.H.BOY
02-13-2005, 10:43 PM
So about 1% return is what you all are seeing on doorhangers?? Other than the little newspapers, what other methods are you using?? Oh yea, I also work for a mailing house if you want help on mailing anything... I think I'm gonna try and do the doorhangers this year, probably several rounds of them. WHen do you all put em out??
thanks
greg

GREG--What do you mean that you work at a mailing house?? Does that mean you have some info. on mailing lists??

Tyner Lawn Service
02-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Done both but if I come home and find a door hanger it seems less intrusive than a flyer someone opened my door and placed in. It does not bother me but door hangers seem less likely to be hard up for business than flyers. 1% about right these days.

bottlefed89
02-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Yeah, we have a lady that can get most lists. We address and mail all sorts of things - post cards, letters, magazines, books just about anything...

draftlawncare
02-22-2005, 07:19 AM
hey bottlefed89 are you a member on corral.net i have seen that username on there a few times

bottlefed89
02-22-2005, 08:53 AM
sure am, thats where the name came from - easiest to just use the same one on all the forums...