PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some opinions please??

SummitFarmer
01-29-2001, 11:47 PM
I fairly new to this forum, but really enjoy the information and opinions given about the business. My situation is that I'm getting tired of the 'ole 9 to 5 and have the opportunity to purchase a LMO. I really want to do it. I have been doing some LC part-time for about 5 years now and have really loved it. I was wanting to see if any of you folks here have gone this route to get into the business and if so how it went for you. Thanks in advance.

R.D. the Summit Farmer

Eric ELM
01-30-2001, 12:06 AM
I would say most lawn care guys start part time and work their way into it unless they were given the company to start. I did and I'm glad of it. You learn as you go and get the feel of it first. I grew up on a farm so it is like city farming to me. :)

Bob Shoaff
01-30-2001, 01:33 AM
I have been doing things part time for years and I bought out a competitor just last week which was enough to make me feel good about leaving my corporate job. Today was my first day to not go into the office and I have never been in such great spirits. I have time now to grow my business into what I have invisioned it to be and I will be making more then the corporate job paid. I would say if your heart is in it and you are getting a good deal the go for it. You will be a happy farmer..

Acute Cut
01-30-2001, 06:31 AM
Congrats Bob. Glad to hear someones suceeding at this!

Good luck to ya!

ACUTE CUT

zimm4
01-30-2001, 12:23 PM
Be careful what you pay. For some odd reson.
A good % of the clients will find A different service.
I bought out a carpet cleaner that had 1200 clients.
I only converted about 200 of them.

Kyle

65hoss
01-30-2001, 12:56 PM
I bought a guy out last year. Got a mower, trailer, 2 comml accts, 1 church and about 8-10 residentials. I didn't lose any of them, they were his long time customers. I paid about the price of a wb mower for everything. Mower was about 8 mths old too.

Between that and what I had, it made for a decent year.

SummitFarmer
01-30-2001, 01:16 PM
This guy says he's just tired of dealing with all the hassles of the business. I don't get it. From his financial information, it looked to me he was getting compensated pretty good. I'm not stupid enough to think that owning my own business is all 3 drink lunches and Thursday afternoon golf(I hope to move this to Wednesdays, haha)but isn't that why we decide to do things like this is to have control of those hassles?

awm
01-30-2001, 04:16 PM
IN THIS BUISINESS THATS WHATS GETS FOLKS AS
THEY GET OLDER.Almost took me out one time.

Ground Pounder
01-30-2001, 04:34 PM
65hoss...

Did this guy really hate the business? Did he not know what he had? If you acquired his biz and all his equipment for the price of one wb mower, do you sleep at night?

Grassman
01-30-2001, 04:55 PM
Sounds like 65hoss got a good deal. Down here in Fl. there are plenty of small LCO's to be had at that price, around 4 to 5k for a minimal amount of equip. and about $25 to $30 gross per yr. Good luck 65hoss, Russ

65hoss
01-30-2001, 09:20 PM
It was a retired fireman that I helped tutor his son. Because of his arthritis and his son going to college he wanted to get rid of the lawn cutting part. He does the big landscaping jobs and his son did the cutting. I just bought the cutting side of his biz. Actually, I paid $3200. It paid me back almost 7 times that this season. :)