PDA

View Full Version : don't know what to do

thepondman2
01-26-2005, 06:29 PM
hey guys , i gave my first bid for a landscape design and installation job a couple weeks ago and the clients said they had four others to consider , but i was the first to present my ideas and they was gonna give the other guys a week to 10 days to present their ideas. like i said it has been two weeks so should i continue to wait or give the client a friendly call.

tonygreek
01-26-2005, 08:39 PM
absolutely follow up on it. truth be told, you shouldn't have waited this long, but these are things you'll learn as you learn to sell.

also, unless they are really hardcore, the odds of them going for a total of 5 bids is highly unlikely. not unheard of, just unlikely.

just remember the saying, "out of sight, out of mind.". it definitely holds true in sales. tomorrow, place a friendly call asking how their decision making process is going and ask if they have any other questions regarding the bid or process. if they've already accepted someone's bid, graciously thank them for taking the time to meet with you and let them know if any problems arise to just give you a call.

in the future, you might consider sending a brief, hand-written thank you note the following day. i'm not saying to do this on every mowing bid, but for high dollar installation work, absolutely.

J Hisch
01-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Follow up- and attempt to close the deal. Call like you are expecting them to say yes.

HOOLIE
01-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Always follow up with a call, it makes a good impression, and sometimes that might be all it takes to seal the deal.

People are, by nature, lazy (just my opinion, no scientific evidence to support it) and quite often they will have a few questions to ask regarding the proposal, but they won't make the time to pick up the phone. The follow up call is the time to clarify minor points and "schmooze" the prospect a bit.

Rarely will someone call you back to tell you they went with someone else. It puts them in an unpleasant situation, breaking bad news to you, so they just go with the other guy and never follow through with the promise to "let you know in a few days".

thepondman2
01-28-2005, 02:24 PM
thanks guys , i called and they r still deciding between four of us, i know two of them r very reputable companies and one i used to work for as a crew supervisor. i was told by an inside source that they were very impressed with my design and they r not basing their desicion on price . thanks again for the advice

Lux Lawn
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I would call to follow up with them and ask them where they stand with their project and if there are any questions you can answer for them while you have them on the phone.If they say they went with someone else tell them thank you for considering us and please consider us for any jobs in the future.

PMLAWN
01-29-2005, 08:02 AM
After leaving a bid you should always send a thank you note the next day.(as tony said). It will show that you are attentive and care. Also you want them to think about you as much as possable.
And even before that, when you leave the house you should ask what they need to do to make a disision and how long that will take. Than ask if you can call back in a few days to see how it is going. Most will always say yes (if no than you have a problem already) and than they will expect it. Make that call about 1 day after your note gets there. You have now made 3 contacts and that puts far ahead of the others.

thepondman2
02-06-2005, 09:34 PM
i didn't get the job. i heard throgh the grapevine that the client didn't think i could handle preparing the new lawn they wanted . i guess ya win some and ya lose them also :cool:

PMLAWN
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
That is great news!
No really, I know that you did not get this job but you got even more.
#1 was a lesson in selling #2 was feedback from your call. Take what you know and build on it. You need to build up the area of transferring your abilities and knowledge to your prospect. You need to find out how to ask the right questions so that you can find out what the prospect needs to know to feel comfortable working with you. You win every time you do a proposal because you learn. And if you are learning you are getting better. Your next proposal will go better. Don't be disappointed. It's all part of the process. Good Luck and keep plugging.