PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Casoron pre-m?

trying 2b organic
01-26-2005, 10:29 PM
If you use Casoron pre emergent herbicide in your beds can you tell me where you use it and how well it has worked for you. Do you have to dig under the mulch or does it provide a barrior broadcast on top of it?

I have my licnece and have read the label. Just signed a commercial with lots and lots of mulch beds.

Pre-m, round-up, or hand tiller. ( i mean the hand tool with three prongs)

This is Canada so suggesting a lot of others may not help me.

dishboy
01-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Casoron works great around woody ornamentals, but label states can damage flowers etc. Label says there is a volatility issue so if temps are up water needs to be applied following application. Also be careful of leaching on slopes or anywhere water might stand in beds and adjacent turf areas, like tree wells. At recommended rate control seems to last most of growing season for the most part. You do not need to incorporate in soil, a surface app with light watering is adequate. I have had much better success with broadleaf control than with suflan, and casoron has postemergent quality's, in that it stops growth, thus the leaching issue needs to be considered.

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-27-2005, 06:21 PM
http://www.dewittcompany.com/ I use the 12 year weed barrier on all my mulch jobs .I charge time and material .this stuff works great for me Even on my comm accounts.I like it better than the chemicals its a easy sell as well
just a thought though

j fisher
01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
http://www.dewittcompany.com/ I use the 12 year weed barrier on all my mulch jobs .I charge time and material .this stuff works great for me Even on my comm accounts.I like it better than the chemicals its a easy sell as well
just a thought though

My opinion, Weed blocking fabrics do not prevent weed growth in beds. They only delay it. As mulch decomposes, it creats ideal conditions for weed seed germination "on top" of the barriers. I have seen this many times. Weeds growing in the mulch. Pre-emergents are the best way to control weeds in beds. Like I said, my opinion.

Neal Wolbert
01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
2B, Casoron can't be beat in some cases. It is the most aggressive pre (post on small weeds and all grasses) available and will last the longest. It does require careful app. remembering it is aggressive and can damage soft flowers, perennials and bulbs even at labeled rates so don't apply over-the-top on anything except plants listed on the label. Heather can be damaged even though it is on the label so don't go over-the-top on that plant. Some fir are easily damaged, in particular Douglas Fir. Plants with surface roots will yellow out if Casoron is over-applied. It can be tracked on shoes (and mower wheels, dog feet etc.), and can move with water after application. The volitization issue is not as critical as most think according to the product reps. I've seen more mistakes made with this product than any other, usually by the novice applicator and homeowners. But when you need it, and the site is right, it may be the right choice. It is not toxic to salmonids and other fish I understand...that's comforting. Have you looked into using Barricade and Gallery in beds? They are a great combination, liquids of course (the only way to fly). Neal

trying 2b organic
01-28-2005, 12:10 AM
ty very much for tips and info. A quick check on my suppliers price list reveals no Barracade but they do have Gallery. I will look into it but I think this is the part that scared me off and led me to buy the Casoron.

Gallery 75 df 454gm $285.00

If you tell me that this is a good product and this amount will go a long way I'm going to consider it. Like I said, with these commercial contracts it looks like efficient weed control in the mulched beds is going to define how profitable I can be at these sites. Really I would rather use Gallery because Casaron has a bit of a bad rep among the general public and I certianly perfer a liquid generally. ty again.

GroundKprs
01-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Gallery (isoxaben) is a broadleaf weed preemergent. It will not help you on grassy weeds. Snapshot, if you can get it up there, is a combo of trifluralin for grassy weeds and isoxaben for broadleaves. Label has well over 100 common weeds controlled at various rates of application. And it is applied over the top without harm to all except a few plants listed on the label.

It is also sold under license by Lebanon as Professional Preen, but AI rate is only 75% of that in Snapshot. Watch that in price comparison.

Since it came out 7-8 years ago, Snapshot has been the best for pre-em control in beds. Expect about 4-4½ months of great control. Here best results are with 3 apps spaced out over two growing seasons; may be fine with just one app further north like you.

Another over the top is Ronstar (oxadiazon), but it is not labeled for the broad spectrum of weeds that Snapshot is.

Neal Wolbert
01-28-2005, 09:40 PM
It's true that Gallery is in fact the broadleaf pre and Barricade is the grass pre and is the least expensive of the two. The combo together is a little more per K than Casoron at low rate, I believe. The Gall./Barr. combo is less expensive than Snapshot and our experience ranks it much more effective , especially on broadleaves. Therefore, I would choose and recommend the combo over Snapshot. Snapshot has a low rate of Gallery with with a higher % of Surflan, I believe. Two of our most troublesome weeds in the Northwest are groundsel and fireweed and Gallery holds them at bay very well for about 120 days, but not much longer. Snapshot won't touch them because the % of Gallery is too low. Gallery also controls veronica, bittercress and violets also a problem out here. The combo can be sprayed on grass without damage. Can't do that leagally with Snapshot as I recall. You can play with the rates to match your weed species with the liquids...alas, not with the dry. Liquid...the only way to fly :) Neal